|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Aliner vs Chalet

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
SamCol

Carmel Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/07 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the difference between these company's? Looking for input from folks who have these units. Look like good units for my fishing and camping trips, and to pull behind my Yukon.

Kavoom

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/07 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could get one of each and pull them with a Yukon.

I Watch these and have researched them and have looked at them and the Chalet's IMHO seem better built, and they are heavier but that is not an issue with you. The Aliners have a wide set of choices on layouts and you can see that at their website. I haven't looked at new prices in a couple of years, but neither is inexpensive and you can get comparable accoutrements on a regular pup for quite a few K less.

This site http://www.alinerclub.org/swap_shop.html has used ones on it and the occasional Chalet. It appears you can get good as new for quite a few K less and only a couple of years old here...if you slop into one close by to where you live. The guy keeps this site up pretty well.

There were apparently some "floor" issues a few years ago with the Aliners that involve total floor replacements. I hear that they (Aliners) are built "by hand" and not an assembly line so there can be differences in quality based upon which crew builds yours. I am not sure about Chalet's, but they seem to have pretty consistent quality and you don't hear about any problems with them that I have found. You do see a few Aliner issues with the floor thing being the most common...

R N R

Denver area

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/07 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd agree w/ the others on th equailty issue. Shortly after I bought my Chalet, I went on a rally w/ the aliners. It was a ratio of about 50:1.
There were some aliner reps at the rally and they were there to try to address the quality issues. "We'll fix this do that...." etc. But from reading on the aliner Yahoo site, they never fulfilled the promises. I quit reading a while ago, so don't know if they've ever brought the quailty up. I see several of them on the road tho, and owners love them.

I know form experience that Chalet has pretty good customer service. We love our Chalet and use it extensively off road, so thereby use it harder than most. It's held up pretty well after 4 years.

Steve & Sharon + 2 dogs
'99 ZR2 Blazer
'03 Chalet Arrowhead w/ bunk bed option (makes a great dog house)
Pics of our adventures.

Rick Y

Vancouver (not BC), Washington (not DC)

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/07 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had our Aliner about three months now and have used it frequently but never for more than one week. We've had no issues with it and we're enjoying it immensely. We have had three canvas popups in the past, one travel trailer, one mh, and one fifth wheel. This Aliner is the most fun. We've never yet camped anywhere without at least one person asking to see the inside.

My understanding is that the Chalets are a bit better quality (14" tires are regular) but also a bit heavier and cost a bit more. There's no question that Aliner's are expensive but I've seen some of Fleetwood's biggest popups that cost more than my top of the line Aliner. And, I can have my roof and walls up in 30 seconds. I couldn't come anywhere near that with my canvas popups.

Rick & Karen
2006 Monaco Monarch 30PBS, Class A, Triton V10
2013 Honda Fit Sport automatic, Roadmaster Stowmaster.
Robore Prudentia Praestat

Mike Up

NW Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/07 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dealer just had a 2004 A-Liner Scout on the lot and I would never buy such a beast. The walls had black foam tape to seal the elements out and riveted rubber and green foam tape everywhere on the corners to keep the elements out. You could still see light through the corners.

I wouldn't pay anything for this build quality. Foam that is half rotted away after only 3 years and open holes where the foam is gone. I never looked at how they were put together before but this shocked me. I hope that this isn't standard for either A-liner or Chalet and that it was the exception for this low end A-Liner model.

Have a good one.

2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
29'1" bumper to hitch, 8' wide, 6'9" ceiling, 5050# unloaded and ~6500# loaded.

2012 F150
5.0L, CC, 5.5' bed, 3.73 Locker, 4x4, TBC, 360 Hp/380# Torq, 9300# Tow/1050# Hitch Rating, 1582 lbs payload. Great TV!

Campers and Trucks

Mike Up

NW Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/07 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dealer dropped A-Liner because they weren't selling good and had some quality problem. Last time I looked at A-Liner's site, they still had a picture of my dealer even though they won't sell A-Liners anymore.

Have a good one.

garyk

south of Shickshinny across river from Nescopeck

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/07 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was going to buy a new Aliner or Chalet, I would probably go with the Chalet ONLY because of the no wood floor that they have now. If I was buying used I would look for one with all the options I wanted then take a real good look at the floor in the front and rear corners not only on the Aliner but also on the Chalet. As I read the alinerchaletrv forum about everyday I have seen at least 2 Chalets owners post in the last year with floor problems on fairly new units. My 99 Aliner had the floor rot in the rear 2 corners, so I replaced the rear third of the floor with new 5/8 pressure treated plywood which cost me less than $100.00 since I did the work myself. One more thing I leave my Aliner setup year round and it looks almost as good today as when I bought it except for the slightly clouded opening skylight windows.

2006 Toyota Tundra V8 4x4 AccessCab
1990 Toyota XtraCab V6 4X4 130,000 miles
99 Aliner SofaBed/OffRoad

SamCol

Carmel Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/07 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great feed back. Looks like Chalet will be the one. Thank You........Sam

cochalet

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/07 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My local Aliner dealer quit selling Aliners and sells Chalets now instead. If you've had the chance to compare both in person, as I had the chance to do, you can see the difference in quality. The Aliners are lighter, however, and some people need that to accommodate their tow vehicles and some areas of the country don't have Chalet dealers (or vice-versa) so people choose Aliners instead. I didn't think the price difference between the two was very substantial when you consider the list of standard features Chalet offered (like electric brakes) that were optional on the Aliner - although that may have changed since I bought my Chalet.

I camped in my Chalet through wind, rain and snowstorms and I had no complaints about its quality. If it is the right trailer for you, you will love it.

94Chalet

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/07 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I looked a long time for a quality used Aliner or Chalet. Last year we found a 1994 Chalet in Phoenix, AZ that was in very good condition for its age. We have not regretted getting this Chalet at all, and it is 13 years old. No water damage or rotting floor to speak of. Good used Aliners and Chalets are out there if you look hard enough. Just be ready to buy on the spot or it will be gone in the blink of an eye. Having only owned a Chalet, I can attest that it is a quality camper.

G

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Aliner vs Chalet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS