RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: KWIKEE STEP MOTOR REPLACEMENT SERIES 32-with photos

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> KWIKEE STEP MOTOR REPLACEMENT SERIES 32-with photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CROSSBOLT

Whiteville, TN USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/07 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really GREAT post! You gonna write "How to " books? You'd be great at it!

Karl

Karl

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/07 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Outstanding job (and with part numbers, to boot). All of the Kwikee motors are physically the same (at least since the mid-latter 90's), though they do have 2 versions, a standard and a high torque (for some double and triple steps).
The replacement looks identical enough that it should work fine, but if the current draw is different enough from stock it could cause a controller problem.
Not likely, but possible.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

weescot

florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/07 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a 1981 class "c" Holidayrambler " Monitor" motor home, built on a 1981 FORD E300 van chassis. I am in the process of restoring it and have a problem withthe Kwikee Lectro-matic Step Model No. 2350. The steps have ceased to operate and my mechanic told me that the motors for them were originally windshield wiper motors from Cadillac Motor Car co., and needed to be replaced. I cant find a phone number for Kiwkee Enterprises or locate their whereabouts. HELP!! R McKee

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/07 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to have to print this one to file. Good job, I have issues with the motor on my steps too.. So far my "Quick fix" seems to be working (I re-indexed a couple of gears) but .... Who knows

On edit, Mine are only about 2 years old and would stick in, Now Stuck out is fairly easy to deal with but stuck IN is a major pain.

I got the distinct feeling that it was hanging up on a gear that is perhaps a bit "Rough" took it apart, added grease and re-positioned the gear... Reassembled and since it's been working 100%.... But I'm keeping that hammer handy.

* This post was edited 09/16/07 06:20pm by wa8yxm *

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/07 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

weescot wrote:

I own a 1981 class "c" Holidayrambler " Monitor" motor home, built on a 1981 FORD E300 van chassis. I am in the process of restoring it and have a problem withthe Kwikee Lectro-matic Step Model No. 2350. The steps have ceased to operate and my mechanic told me that the motors for them were originally windshield wiper motors from Cadillac Motor Car co., and needed to be replaced. I cant find a phone number for Kiwkee Enterprises or locate their whereabouts. HELP!! R McKee

I'm afraid you are out of luck on that one, other than installing a complete conversion kit.

Kwikee is at http://kwikee.com/

Ozarkwoods

Highways, and Byways

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/07 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

olygene wrote:

Thanks for a great post -- the pictures and procedures were awesome. My Kwikee step motor is giving me some trouble and I would like to replace it, but how did you find that a Taurus window motor was the right replacement? Do I have to remove the current motor and take it to Napa and just eyeball every window motor they have to see which comes closest? Is there a parts # on the Kwikee motor that provides a clue? Anyway, thanks for a very informative and helpful post.

I had seen a post on here from bsinmich he said that he replaced his with a lincoln window lift motor and gave me a part number. I decided to check the NAPA site, I had the motor out already and was able to look at photos on the NAPA internet site entering years, make and models I looked at the different photos, now it is important that you order the left front motor because the right lift motor the gear housing is oriented opposite from the left front lift. And the rear is different also. The Taurus being one of the high volume models Ford made makes it a great cross over part. If you think of it Kwikee is quite smart about it, the part being made for a very popular model car makes the part readily available for their used in the steps. Whenever, you have to have a part made specially for you the cost is quite high unless you do it in volume, if you use parts that are easily obtained because of it's other uses as the Taurus then you will have always have parts available instead of having to order them in mass quanities.

After finding that the motor looked the same, I orded it through Auto Zone, I asked them if I could return it if it was not the right one. They told me no problem. By ordering the Auto Zone they offered a lifetime warranty on the motor, and at a cheaper cost at 49.99. If the motor goes out again, I will have the warranty to back me up.

Full timing since June 2013
Randy and Annie
2005 Tiffin Zephyr
Cummins ISM
Spartan K2
2009 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon towed

Ozarkwoods

Highways, and Byways

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/07 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

weescot wrote:

That could be difficult, I would try to rule out all of the other things first. It could be a switch, a controler, a gear box. If it looks like it is the motor, I would take the motor off and see if you can see if there are numbers on it. Next thing would be to try NAPA to see if they can find a match for you. If you have time check to see if NAPA on the internet has photos that match, I would begin with model years well before the steps were made. Checking different makes and models, Go with the most popular model for that make. Good Luck

longhauler

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/07 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

weescot wrote:

I cant find a phone number for Kiwkee Enterprises or locate their whereabouts. HELP!! R McKee

http://www.kwikee.com/
Kwikee Products
230 Davidson Avenue
Cottage Grove, OR 97424
1-800-736-9961
1-541-942-3888
Fax 1-541-942-5515

Paul & Julie
1995 Coachmen M400Si Destiny DP
300 Cummins CTA 8.3
6 spd Allison
Spartan Raised Rail Chassis
Featherlite Trailer / 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9
Harlequin Great Dane "Zoe"
Weimaraner "Zander"

Gary.

Yukon, OK

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/07 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Randy, Thanks for the excellent post. Now days I need pictures in order to do a job! Good discriptions to go along. With that complete post I think I could do it!

Ozarkwoods

Highways, and Byways

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/07 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No Problem Gary, I know how much easier photos make it then just explaining. Hope this helps others.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> KWIKEE STEP MOTOR REPLACEMENT SERIES 32-with photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS