|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Fuel mileage of the Chevy 7.4L Vortec

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
gcprval

Birmingham, AL

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/07 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How does this engine compare on fuel mileage to the 6.0 Vortec I hear so much good things about? Is it comparable to the 6.0? Is it a quality engine?

Cool Mike

No. California

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/07 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 7.4L (454cu in) is an older designed engine than the 6L and wont get as good mileage as the 6L, but the 6L also doesnt quite have as much torque either.
The 454 (7.4L) has been around for a long time,(25+ years) and is a good engine, in my opinion, its biggest shortcoming is in cooling, you need to keep a close eye on the complete cooling system, and dont let it over heat.
Some years ago, they were real power houses, but with smog requirements, and fuel octane ratings, they have been detuned some. But there are a lot of them still out there. They might get 1 to 3 MPG less than the 6L, all else the same.

2001 27' Four Winds Class-C E-450 V-10.
Buick Park Ave Ultra, Ford Ranger PU, JD 500 backhoe.
1941 Farm All "A"

camping man

Central Fla.

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/07 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pulling my 5er, I think I got about 8-9highway. After 96up, their multiport injection, it helped the mileage a little.

05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

Peg Leg

Anderson, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/07 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No substitute for cubes. Best gas mileage, depends on the application. Put em both in a car the 6 liter will win hands down, the 7.4 has a bigger stomach. Make em tow the Rockies to the Mighty Mississippi and the lungs on the 6 liter will be bursting.

I had a 96 truck identical to my present 97 except for the vortec 5.7 which had 4.10 gears. On a 30 mile one way trip to work, 2 lane hiway and city streets, the 5.7 got 12 mpg. The 7.4 with 3.73's got 13 mpg. All the hype on the Vortec series got me to try the 5.7 but the first tow I wanted my cubes back. I don't know what I'll do now that GM no longer has a big block.

2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
06 Hitchiker II LS 29.5 FKTS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Cool Mike

No. California

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/07 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Peg Leg, switch to a 415 cu in Ford V-10, 30 valve, its the best of both worlds. Is 415 considered a big block or a small block? But the 365 hp and 460 lb ft of torque (stock) is not bad. And Im a Chevy man.
I wish GM had taken the 350 and added 2 cylinders and over head cam heads, I wonder how it would perform with 437.5 cu in.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Fuel mileage of the Chevy 7.4L Vortec
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS