Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: triple bunk bed in travel trailers

Posted By: CampinHappy on 09/20/07 03:43pm

I've seen a couple of travel trailers that had at least 3 bunks, some with 4. We're in the market for a travel trailer and with 3 boys, bunks seem like a good idea to give each their own "space" within the trailer.

Anybody with these types of trailers, I sure would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,

Shawn

CampinHappy
Central Texas
2000 Suburban 4x4
2007 K-Z Spree 240 BH with triple bunks for my 3 amigos
Formerly a 99 Coleman Niagara PUP
wife version 1.0 (so far ) 3 boys (9,11,15),

Posted By: tom_kat on 09/20/07 04:01pm

the guy across the street got one this summer he likes it a lot they put the 3 kids to bed and can close the the door and can stay up later watch tv or what ever the only mess is there bunks not all over the trailer.less pick up to do in the morning.

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

Posted By: funkygti on 09/20/07 04:01pm

We have quad bunks, two doubles on one side and two singles on the other. One of the singles folds up for storage. We have two teens and they each like to sleep in an upper bunk so this works for them. They also like to bring friends along too.

Nina
2006 Rockwood 8317ss
2000 Ford Excursion V10 LTD
Equal-i-zer
Prodigy

Posted By: Hornet28BHDS on 09/20/07 04:09pm

Try looking at a Hornet 27B. They have three bunks in the back and is a nice floorplan.

2006 Hornet 28BHDS-Bunk House, Dual Slides

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
5.7L Hemi, Factory Towing Package
Reese Brake Controller, WD Hitch and Sway Bar

Life is short, why not spend it in an RV!

SPRING HAS SPRUNG!

Posted By: Novacamper on 09/20/07 04:53pm

Both these models have front bunks, one a3 the other 4 with a rear queen hard slide out.
http://www.pilgrimintl.com/pilgrim/open-road/public/rv/prodline/product/cirrus-models/modline/travel-trailers/model/24CRSTB

http://www.pilgrimintl.com/pilgrim/open-road/public/rv/prodline/product/cirrus-models/modline/travel-trailers/model/25CRSQB

Outback, KZ (and I believe Jayco) also make similar models.

Ken

Posted By: hamilton71801 on 09/20/07 05:01pm

We have a triple bunk model and the kids like it (10 & 8 yrs old). The only problem is getting up on the top bunk is a challenge, but my kids are like monkeys and just swing up there. During the summer, it also gets warm in the bunks because they are in kind of a cubby hole. My wife put a fitted sheet over the mattresses and either let them cover up with another sheet or sleep in sleeping bags.

2013 Keystone Hornet 29.5 BHS Fifth Wheel
2001.5 Dodge QC Shortbox 4x4 Auto Cummins
Quadzilla XZT+, Stage 3 Jammer Nozzles, BD J Hook
HTS Trans
Full Gauges
Maxbrake Controller
1978 17' Glastron Carlson (115 Mercury, Hotfoot, completely restored)

Posted By: gillguy on 09/20/07 05:46pm

funkygti wrote:

We have quad bunks, two doubles on one side and two singles on the other. One of the singles folds up for storage. We have two teens and they each like to sleep in an upper bunk so this works for them. They also like to bring friends along too.

Same here except the kids are 10 and 13. Works great as we camp a lot with in-laws and since they have a MH their kids usually stay with us. Plus if one of our kids wants to bring another friend along then we still have room. With kids having bunks is so much easier.

Bobby (USAF Retired)
2007 Chevy 2500 LBZ Duramax C/C, S/B 4X4
2006 Rockwood 8317SS
1973 Airstream Ambassador
Old Town Penobscot 16

Posted By: jtwisconsin on 09/20/07 06:19pm

We have three kids (ages 7 to 12) and considered the 3 bunk models. The kids took a look at those and started arguing about who "had to sleep on the floor". In the end we decided on the 4-bunk model instead. Has worked out great so far.

John, the lovely wife, plus the 3 kids.
2007 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS - Parked at the Seasonal Site
Previous setups...
2002 Ford Explorer V6 pulling 2000 Trail-Lite Bantam B19
1997 Chevy Blazer pulling small Coleman popup

Posted By: Rescue421 on 09/20/07 07:26pm

We have a 3 bunk unit. My kids and my wife love it. The back room has a slide out so the room is large. There are 3 bunks and a couch. There is also a TV, DVD, Dresser drawers, storage shelves and a wardrobe in that room. Two of the bunks fold up so you have a wide open play room on rainy days.

Keystone Mountaineer 32PHD

2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 Cummins TD
2007 Keystone Mountaineer 32PHD

Posted By: mom2four on 09/20/07 09:03pm

Check out the Timberlodge loft TTs from Adventure Manufacturing. We are seriously considering the 27 footer.

Posted By: JayWVA on 09/20/07 09:53pm

As with rescue we have the Mountaineer 32 Phd..............great setup as the room is in the back and gives others some privacy when they are behind the door with their own TV. Nice setup but this line is not an ultralite by any means but some pretty nice quality.

Posted By: rhondavid on 09/21/07 06:25am

If you have kids, you need a bunkhouse. Makes life on the road so mcuh better when everyone has their own bed. I have a triple bunk in my Jayco and would love to upgrade to a Quad. Have looked long and hard but wife does not find one that she likes as much as the Kiwi we have now.

Go with bunk and go with slide too!

David,Wife,4 kids,SIL,1 grandchild
2003 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 7.3 PSD w/3.73 rear end
Jayco Kiwi Too 30T bunkhouse w/triple bunks
Prodigy Controller
Reese Dual Cam HP
Michelin LTX M/S
2001 F150 SuperCrew

Topsail Hill Cult Member

Posted By: mwebber78 on 09/21/07 06:30am

I have the 312BHDS with the bunkroom slide. Whatever brand you choose I would suggest you pass over the 4 bunk layout on any model. Even after folding the bottom bunks (if equipped) you are still tight on space and that type of layout cuts down on the kitchen length so the bathroom can be positioned between the kitchen/bunk beds.

The Mountianeer has the best layout wth the bunk slide and fold up beds. However, at over 35' you are talking about a tough tow in the Northeast were we live. Most parks up here are TIGHT.

I love my Sunnybrook for it's build quality, all plyood construction, 2" thick walls, full alum. superstructure, etc. However, most of these layouts are very similar to mine - a bunk slide with a top bunk bed and a sofa/foldable foam couch that converts to sleep three kids.

If I were you I would look at the Jayco 31BHDS, Sunnybrook 312BHDS, Dutchmen has one, Rockwood, etc.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Posted By: Matthmobile on 09/21/07 07:03am

We have a 240BH KZ Spree with three bunks in the back. The bottom bunk sings up and provides a bunch of storage while traveling with a big access door on the back of the trailer. It also has an island queen bed that DW and I are very pleased with.

2003 Toyota Sequoia (without optional tennis balls hanging from hitch)
2007 KZ Spree 240BH (24' box, 26' frame)
Mckesh Mirrors
Prodigy brake controller

Posted By: seasonal on 09/21/07 07:11am

I would look at quad bunks. That will open up your options as there are many more with quads than triples. The extra bunk makes good extra storage and you have an extra so you don't have to convert the sofa or dinette in case you have a friend along.

Posted By: Kampfirekid on 09/21/07 07:30am

You might look at K-Z. The wife and I looked at one model I think was their 2007 Model Frontier 2205QSF, which was discontinued, or replaced by the 2008 Spree line. It had a real neat set-up with two bunks across the front headwall, and one pirpendicular along the side with a massive storage unit below it. Rather compact (about 23 feet), but nice and roomy. Plenty of storage with less length and weight. I do not know if it made it to 2008 with the Spree line, but check and see.

2013 Ford 350 Superduty Lariat. 6.7L Stock. Loaded.
2011 Jayco Flight G2 32BHDS

Posted By: fulltimegrams22 on 09/21/07 07:31am

We have a quad bunk with one of the bunks changeable to a computer station. The room also has an entertainment center in it for the tv and video games to bring along. The dirty clothes hatch to the basement is in this room also, makes it so perfect for the kids to get rid of their smelly day clothes after a shower. The master has a Short King slide and the regular household reefer will take care of all the food you will ever need, lol.

Puma 39PTBSS is our model by Palomino but they have many different models with a regular camper fridge that also works on propane.

Palomino website

We have fulltimed in ours for over a year now and we really enjoy our TT.

Fulltimegrams22

Posted By: campNride on 09/21/07 07:46am

I have a 2003 Dutchman pac n play and love it. It has large cargo door in the rear that opens and has the quad bunks in the rear that fold up for storage of large items. I am able to put my boys little quad back there along with 2 large dog boxes. Then when we get to the camp site and unload we have the 4 bunks. I only have 2 kids so the top bunks work great to store thier clothes. My model doesn't have alot of storage but I am ok with that. Up front it has the island queen for us. We are very happy with it. It is a 30' model but no slide. That is the only thing I would change but when you are on a budget sometimes you have to sacrific a little.....

2007.5 Dodge Ram 2500
2004 Wanderer Wagon Toyhauler
1997 XR400R Plated
2003 Polaris Trailboss 330

Posted By: strubelfamily on 09/21/07 08:20am

look at my signature regarding our model, we have three kids and this model has a double bed and then a flip down bunk, plus it is on a slide that creates the kids room with their own entertainment center and drawers

Mike & Shannon

Kids:
Morgan,Jake,Jarret,Alexis
American Bulldog: Caramel Apple

My toys
2007 F150 crew cab 5.4
2007 Rockwood signature 8318SS
2007 Grabber Orange Mustang GT
2006 Honda Rancher ATV

"It's always something" (especially when you own an RV)

Posted By: jmaul on 09/21/07 08:27am

First post to the forum, but been snooping around for about 6 months now. We picked up a 2000 Flagstaff 25LB, triple bunks, and very lightweight (due to TV). Don't use the bottom bunk as we only have 2 kids, but have been thinking about a bigger replacement for the future when I upograde the TV. As others have stated, a bunkhouse is a must with kids, and a quad seems to be the preference. It looks like manufacturers are gearing towards a bunk'room', with flexibility such as sofas, fold down bunks, dinettes, computer stations and the like so the kids feel its their own little area. That Timberlodge looks awesome, but wow it's heavy. Others suggest Palamino and Mountaineer. I'm looking at the Surveyor SV304, 2 bunks on one side, a fold down bunk and small dinette on the other. Find out what your Burb can handle, then go from there.

2013 Viewfinder 28BHSS
2010 Ford F150 Screw 4x4, 5.4L / 3.73 Max Tow
Reese Dual-Cam, Integrated Brake Contoller

Posted By: georam1 on 09/21/07 08:56am

We have a Jayco Jay Feather 30r that has quads. We love it. It has a cargo door and two of the bunks fold up and gives you a lot of storage space. I haul the kids bikes and the satalite dish in that area. It also has an entertainment center between the bunks so the kids can watch TV or play the playstation. The new 08 model is a 30u which has a larger slideout. This tt grosses out at around 7000lbs. The only complaint I have with it is the gray water tank is only 30gals. Somewhat of a bother in parks without full hookups. Good luck.

George, Tracey, Katelyn and Colby Ramsey
2008 Jayco Eagle 31.5FBHS Superlite 5th Wheel
2003 Chevy 2500HD 6.6l DMAX

Print  |  Close