|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Our latest trip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/07 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds – Hiawassee, GA – 9/21/2007 thru 9/23/2007

• Participants: Ashley, Kim, Dave, Gary, Laurie, Stevie, Dillion, Todd, Julie, Luke, Maddie
• Campground Rating: 3 (out of 5)
• Rating reasons / About the campground: no camp store, town of Hiawassee very close (Ingles less than 1 mile), camp sites not very level, mens shower house (clean - 2 toilets, 1 urinal, 2 shower stalls for 91 campsites - lucky it was off season or I assume it would be very crowded), great playground for the kids, nice campground roads for the kids to ride their bikes, lots of hiking nearby
• Campsite number: 46 (Gary in 48 and Todd in 45)
• About our trip: Before I even left the house I received a call from one of our fellow campers (name withheld to protect the guilty), who was already at the campground, asking me to bring a tow strap. Evidently, he saw a loose, dried out stump on the shore that he tried to drag closer to his campsite with his truck to burn. Long story short, he got stuck. Be sure to pay attention to his son's expression in the picture!
[image] [image]
• We had a good trip up to the mountains even though we left about 5:30 PM right during rush hour (3 hours 20 minutes - return trip was 2.5 hours). I was only planning on disconnecting the camper tie downs and leveling the camper while in the truck. The campsite had other plans. After leveling the camper, the bottom step was over 2 feet off the ground. I don't like taking the camper off (or putting it on for that matter) in the dark but that is what we were forced to do.
[image]
• Saturday was wrought with children's injuries. My conclusion is that Luke would make a great goalie. I came to this realization because he was able to block Dillion's throw (rock into the water) with the back of his head. Lot's of blood. Not to be outdone, Ashley closed her arm in the door of the truck (due to the angle that it was parked at - please see photo above to see the campsite’s unevenness). In addition, right after that she fell down and skinned her knee requiring the largest band-aid that I carry in the first aid kit.
• Shortly thereafter, we went in search of Big Nana (the pontoon boat that Kim's family used to keep at Nana's lakeside house (since sold) but was now being stored at a friend's). We located the boat about 100 yards from the water. Deciding the ends didn't justify the means we just left her where she sat and took turns in our ski boat. One additional note, while we were over seeing about Big Nana, we saw a competition ski boat just sitting on the shore - no cover - sun just baking down - prop, rudder, and skegs completely embedded in the mud. It's a shame that some people don't care about their belongings or just have so much money that it doesn't matter to them (this was in front of a huge mansion right on the lake). I just don't understand. But, I digress. After we gave up on trying to get Big Nana into the water we went to put our ski boat in.
[image]

It turned out to be a lot harder than I expected. The water level at the campground's boat ramp was to low to be able to use (even though there were a few brave souls who were trying). We were finally able to launch the boat at the third ramp we tried. After an afternoon on the lake in which a passing rain shower (sunny and pouring down rain) soaked us we had a great dinner thanks to Kim, Gary, and Laurie. Also, I would like to personally thank all the participants in the 1st annual Lake Chatuge Poker Tour for being so willing to relinquish their hard earned wages over to me. I haven't been able to decide what I’ll do with all the winnings but I'm thinking I'll put about 4 gallons of gas in the boat [emoticon].
• After we had the camper all packed up and ready to go we spent Sunday afternoon on the lake. We didn't arrive back at the house until 9:30. It was a great weekend and we couldn't have asked for any better weather. I'm thinking we'll try and make this an annual trip. Dave.

Todd crashing on skiis.
[image] [image] [image]

[image] [image] [image] [image]
[image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]
[image] [image] [image]

* This post was edited 09/26/07 02:15pm by luv2skyski *

rhode trip

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/07 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like fun, Dave!

2002 Dodge 3500 CTD/DRW/
2000 Northern Lite 10-2000cd

www.LapelPinPlanet.com

Matho

New Mexico Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/07 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you had a great time. My brother does the skyski, he says it's a rush! That could be the start of a fun annual tradition.
Thanks for the pictures.

2015 Chevy 3500 SRW 4X4 6.0 CC SB Big Wig 2016 Northstar Laredo SC Off Road

failten46

KY

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/07 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way to go Dave. Park the Camper so it amputates your daughter's arm! Kris

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/07 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a great time, thanks for the photos.

Hum... I don't seem to recall getting my engraved invitation to this event, Should I be taking this as a hint?

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

Hawthorne

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/07 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice - the trip and write-up.

Is that an "easy-up" you've got the girl skiing with? Haven't tried that with our 6-yo girl yet - just the tube.

Thanks.

2004 Ford SRW 6.0 PSD Manual, Superhitch, 4400LB Rear Leafs, Airbags
19.5” Visions 265 Hankook DH01's
2003 Lance 1030
1999 GulfStream Conquest E450 31'

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/07 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spott wrote:

Looks like a great time, thanks for the photos.

Hum... I don't seem to recall getting my engraved invitation to this event, Should I be taking this as a hint?

Spott, anytime your're willing to make the trip I'll be glad to show you how to skyski. It's loads of fun!

Hawthorne wrote:

Very nice - the trip and write-up.

Is that an "easy-up" you've got the girl skiing with? Haven't tried that with our 6-yo girl yet - just the tube.

Thanks.

Hawthorne, they are actually O'Brien All Star Trainers. The rope actually attaches to the "stabilizer bar" attached to the front of the skiis. The child has a handle to hold on to which is attached to the tow rope and is adjustable. At the other end of the rope is another handle for a person in the boat to hold onto. If the skiier has a problem the person in the boat simply lets go. Dave.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Our latest trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS