RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Ultimate Toad List?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Ultimate Toad List?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
rv-time

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/07 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe this is too much to hope for… is there a single list of all 4 down type toad vehicles?

Background… we completed our first year with our Class A MH with no toad.
I’m now in the market to purchase a “used” toad suitable for 4 down towing. It will be almost strictly a toad car, not for daily use. So I don’t what to invest a lot, just an older toad that gets us in to local towns and attractions while the MH is set-up will be just fine.

What I’m hoping for is a single list of all possibilities… listing; year, make, model etc…

I have visited MotorHome and read the Dingy Guides by individual years. Are there any single all-inclusive listings? Or do I just have to slug it out by compiling my own based on the yearly MotorHome postings?

In the meantime I’ll be searching this thread for added advice.

Thanks,

Jim & Carol's Adventures

"The Journey is the Reward"
Jim & Carol
2003 Winnebago Brave 32V

JaBob

Roswell, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/07 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go with a manual transmission you have no problems.
My suggestion, Go light.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/07 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slug it out and make your own list. The list of cars that can be towed is longer than Motorhome Mags list. Their list is strictly cars the manufacturers say can be towed. Another place to look is on the tow bar companies websites and REMCO's. If they make baseplates, someone is towing it. Most manual 2WD's can be towed without any mods, many automatics can be towed with a pump from REMCO and any 2WD rear wheel drive can be towed with an $800 drive shaft mod. Almost any 4WD vehicle with a transfer case can be towed with the transfer case in nuetral. We have towed a Honda Element and now a CRV tens of thousands of miles with no problems. I put my baseplates on myself so I know its done right.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

eadeal55

Suffolk VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/07 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We too "slogged" thru list after list of vehicles. 4 dr sedans, small pickups, small SUVs, larger vehicles, auto, manual, 4WD, FWD, RWD, AWD...you name it, we thought about it. I finally sat down one night an started looking thru all my notes, and came up with a list of 2002 thru 2007 small SUVs that could be towed 4 down, based on weight (~3000 lbs), auto trans (we wanted to use it as a daily driver and I sit in tunnel traffic at least an hour each way every day), good gas mileage (25+), and no tow restrictions (55mph, 65mph, stop every 2/4/6 hrs, stop every 250 miles).

At the top of the list was the Honda CR-V, followed by other Honda/Acura vehicles (which are no longer towable 4 down after the 2005 models), the Saturn Vue and Jeep Liberty. Used Hondas still bring a premium price in my area, I really didn't like the older Vue, and the Liberty's MPG was lowest of the group. As I worked up to the 2005 and 2006 models, the CR-V and Vue were still at the top, but the HHR showed up for the 2006 model year.

Knowing that the new HHR had had a year to work out the bugs, and that Consumers Reports recommended it, we went looking at used 2006 HHRs, but most we found were sparsely equipped. Looking across at the new 2007 HHRs, I asked to see an LT with leather (DW has got to have those heated seats). After running the numbers, I was able to get a good price (under $22K), and a $2000 rebate to boot.

So far so good. We have 1000 miles on the HHR, I like it as a daily driver, getting 23-25mpg city driving, and I tows great...

Andy & Lee, plus Ruby (15) & Bella (10), the Cocker Spaniel girls
'05 Fleetwood Bounder 33R, F53 w/6.8L V10...towing a
'07 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, President 2012-14

Kyp J

San Antonio, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/07 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not an expert since I am just starting in this (hobby? lifestyle?) but after reading a lot of comments I am thinking anything without a real frame is a lot less desirable from the standpoint of tow bar attachments. I am uncomfortable with the idea of bolting behind all the bodywork into sheet metal making it virtually invisible for inspection. (Seems important with all the "lost dinghy" threads recently).

I haven't actually seen examples of this, just read about them. I accidentally have the perfect vehicle from this standpoint but would really like to have something that gets good fuel mileage like a CRV Honda. Now I am thinking it may not be worth the aggravation. I will keep my eyes open for a setup on a CRV and see if I change my mind.

I see a lot of older small pickups that look handy to have if you aren't looking for luxury.

2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder
2000 Jeep Wrangler

kfrimr

Fulltiming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/07 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a web site that you can look at the last several years of vehicles that can be towed 4 down. Great resource.
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/index.cfm
Hope that this is helpful.

rv-time

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/07 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eadeal55 wrote:

We too "slogged" thru list after list of vehicles. 4 dr sedans, small pickups, small SUVs, larger vehicles, auto, manual, 4WD, FWD, RWD, AWD...you name it, we thought about it. I finally sat down one night an started looking thru all my notes, and came up with a list of 2002 thru 2007 small SUVs that could be towed 4 down, based on weight (~3000 lbs), auto trans (we wanted to use it as a daily driver and I sit in tunnel traffic at least an hour each way every day), good gas mileage (25+), and no tow restrictions (55mph, 65mph, stop every 2/4/6 hrs, stop every 250 miles).

At the top of the list was the Honda CR-V, followed by other Honda/Acura vehicles (which are no longer towable 4 down after the 2005 models), the Saturn Vue and Jeep Liberty. Used Hondas still bring a premium price in my area, I really didn't like the older Vue, and the Liberty's MPG was lowest of the group. As I worked up to the 2005 and 2006 models, the CR-V and Vue were still at the top, but the HHR showed up for the 2006 model year.

Knowing that the new HHR had had a year to work out the bugs, and that Consumers Reports recommended it, we went looking at used 2006 HHRs, but most we found were sparsely equipped. Looking across at the new 2007 HHRs, I asked to see an LT with leather (DW has got to have those heated seats). After running the numbers, I was able to get a good price (under $22K), and a $2000 rebate to boot.

So far so good. We have 1000 miles on the HHR, I like it as a daily driver, getting 23-25mpg city driving, and I tows great...

Great comparative study… and posting. Thanks for doing most of the leg-work and giving me a start down a road you’ve traveled.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Ultimate Toad List?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS