RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Enclosing and Heating underbelly?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Enclosing and Heating underbelly?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Natureboy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/07 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2005 31BHS Jayco travel trailer. Is there anyway a guy could enclosed and heat the underbelly myself? I imagine someone has done it.

Does "heated" mean the tanks? Or is there some actually heating going on under in the space below to help keep the trailer warm?

2005 Jayflight 31BHS, 3000I Honda Generator, Solar & Wind generators.
2011 Chev 3/4 Ton Silverado LTZ Z71 2500HD 4X4
6.0 Vortec
6 Speed Trans, 4.11 Diff
Every option available.

BurbMan

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/07 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it's certainly do-able. Since the heat ducts run in the floor, what the mfrs do is install a heat duct that blows warm air by the holding tanks. Then insulate around the tanks and enclose the bottom with that plastic stuff. Click the photo for more info.

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

John & Christine

Milford

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/07 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got done doing just this to a good friends camper. It was on a Keysetone but the same should apply. It wasnt my idea but he had plenty of beer so I said I would help. Job went pretty well and seemed to work.

It may be hard to describe but Ill do my best.

Make sure that you whole underbelly is clean and in good order. Once this is done it will be tough to access. We also mapped out and diagramed stuff that may need to be acessed later.

Using flexible duct hose tap into the closest heat duct and run to area of tanks.

In the areas around the tanks block off about 6 inches so that the expanding foam that is sprayed onto the underbelly (next step)creates a ductlike space around the tank . Make sure that the flexible duct hose emties into this area and secure in place.

Have the bottom sprayed with something like this. Expanding Foam Insulation, like you are seeing on houses now and then. This was the only step we had to have a proffesional contractor do.

Then seal the bottom up with corrugated plastic like COROPLAST. Comes in 4x8 sheets. I believe we used the 6mm thick stuff.

I believe the plastic tarp like material Burbman mentions is usually placed above the frame during manufacturing, not to the bottom of the frame. If you did this I imagine you would rip the tarp off the coach from the wind turbulence under the trailer.

This was done on my friends camper because he uses the trailer for 4 weeks of hunting. Gets cold up in Maine.

Any questions shoot me a PM I would be happy to answer anything you may need help with.

* This post was edited 10/01/07 01:43pm by John & Christine *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Enclosing and Heating underbelly?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS