Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Jayco carefree electric power awning

Posted By: JHUCK on 10/23/07 11:53am

I was reading a post about the electric awning on the new 08 jaycos & saw alot of people complaining about how low they are. Is this true on the travel trailers as well? I've looked at new 08s but never with the awning out. Is it too low extened to just walk under. Someone also in the post said that the newer 08s have the straight awning instead of the slanted. I just wanted some info on this awning since this spring/summer I'll be buying a new trailer.

'05 Thor Wanderer 221SD

Posted By: LAdams on 10/23/07 12:12pm

Here is another post on it from just a few days ago... You might try a search on electric awning or Jayco electric awning...

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fusea........d/20434785/gotomsg/20435463.cfm#20435463

Les

2000 Ford F-250SD, XLT, 4X4 Off Road, SuperCab
w/ 6.8L (415 C.I.) V-10/3:73LS/4R100
Banks Power Pack w/Trans Command & OttoMind
Sold Trailer - not RV'ing at this point in time

HUNTER THERMOSTAT INSTALL

HOME MADE WHEEL CHOCKS

Posted By: ScottandCathy on 10/23/07 02:00pm

I just got a 08 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS last week. With the awning fully extended I can walk under with about 2-3" of clearance. I am just under 6' tall.

06 Dodge Ram 2500HD MegaCab 4x4, Cummins I6 5.9 CIT, 3.73 gears
Prodigy brake controller, Reese dual cam sway/WD
08 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS

Posted By: jaycocamper62301 on 10/26/07 09:00am

ScottandCathy wrote:

I just got a 08 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS last week. With the awning fully extended I can walk under with about 2-3" of clearance. I am just under 6' tall.

This is interesting to hear. I have a new 32 BHDS Jay Flight being built right now and I'm 6'4" and very concerned. Just curious how an awning can get down under 6' in the open position and still get the door open. Must be one heck of a slope with the awning in the open position and awning attached a couple feet above door????

2014 Cedar Creek 38CK Custom Ordered Black Friday
2011 F450 White Tri Coat, Chrome Package, FX4, Lariat

Posted By: Loopy on 10/26/07 09:15am

Yes, the slope is huge. It starts about a foot and a half above the door and comes down to approx. 6'1" when fully extended. That's about a 3' drop from the top of the awning to the fully extended position.

We requested the flat pitch awning when we ordered ours.

Bryan and my Parsons Russell Terrier, Melvin

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 4D 4WD 5.7L 3.73" Rear End
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Weight Distribution Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
2008 Jayco Jay Flight G2 20BH and Mods

Posted By: NorfolkCounty on 10/26/07 09:19am

There are two different models. Jayco told me that the current 2008 trailers on the assembly line are being produced with the flat pitch awning. The flat pitch awning extends 8 feet with a 6 inch slope when fully open. The steep pitch awning extends 8 feet with a 33 inch slope when opened. According to Jayco, the steep pitch awning was installed as a "marketing decision" on early 2008 models as it provides more shade. I am 5'10" tall and I must duck under it when fully opened. The steep pitch awning was discontinued in favor of the flat pitch awning for the remainder of the 2008 production due to .... drum roll please ..... "a marketing decision". They had many complaints from people not enjoying ducking under their awning. If you are concerned about which awning is actually on the trailer that you are looking at, either open it fully, or bring a tape and measure the vertical arms against the trailer. The flat pitch awning arms are 67 inches from to bottom, while the steep pitch arms are 59.5 inches.

Chris - Chesapeake, VA
2007 Silverado 2500HD 2WD 6.0L, 2008 Jayco 19H

Posted By: jaycocamper62301 on 10/26/07 09:28am

I'm waitng for a call from Jayco as we speak!!!! Sure glad I saw this.

Posted By: Loopy on 10/26/07 09:42am

Thing is, on some models (G2 specifically) they have not switched over to the flat pitch awning on the assembly line. They said that if you order a trailer and want the flat pitch awning it will have to wait until they start putting it on the trailer to have the order processed. Otherwise, you'll get the steep pitch awning.

Posted By: jaycocamper62301 on 10/26/07 09:57am

I just heard back from Jayco...fast reply. They said on the super slide models they are installing the steep pitched versions because the camper has more ground clearance. I told him I'm 6'4" and he said I might have to duck by about an inch. I'm surprised they don't put on a camper what the customer wants. I told him if I have to duck the camper stays on the dealer lot. I'm headed to the Jayco dealer after dinner and requesting they fully extend the awning.

Posted By: Loopy on 10/26/07 10:49am

Yeah, I'm not sure what they're thinking but whatever. I also found out that I was given incorrect information and you can't request a flat pitch awning on the G2 models. The only models they are installing the flat pitch awning on at the moment are the Flights without the super slide.

You can actually not extend the awning fully but you'll lose the valance on the front because it will stay rolled up around the tube. You'll also lose the ability to put hangers in the slot to hang lights from.

Posted By: jaycocamper62301 on 10/26/07 11:21am

Loopy...it looks like you are 100% correct

Posted By: Lantley on 10/26/07 02:46pm

Loopy wrote:

Yeah,
You can actually not extend the awning fully but you'll lose the valance on the front because it will stay rolled up around the tube. You'll also lose the ability to put hangers in the slot to hang lights from.

Sounds like Jayco is creating an awning nightmare for themselves. No awning lights??!!

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

Posted By: Luvgoose on 12/29/07 07:27am

I just read this after I posted a question about these awnings. Does anyone know if Jayco will allow customers to order new trailers WITHOUT the electric awning? I'd rather have the old fashioned manual type which we never had problems with!

2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Eagle 322FKS
DH,DW,2 DD's, Charlie-Chocolate Lab and Chloe-Cocker Spaniel

Posted By: oswegoman on 01/05/08 08:59pm

Yes, you can order without the electric awning. I ordered a G2 25RKS without the electric awning. I'm having the dealer install a 20 foot "old fashioned" awning instead because I wanted both entry doors to be covered by the awning. I was not aware of the pitch issue when I did this but now I'm really glad I did not order the electric one.

Print  |  Close