|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> swapping carpet for linoleum/wood

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
MicDuran

Smyrna, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/07 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'd like to replace the carpet in our TT with linoleum or wood.
TT is a 1999 Fleetwood Terry 26EX with a super slide (dinette and couch).
Currently the only linoleum is in the bathroom and in front of the appliances in the kitchen.
We are looking for advice from anyone who has done this. The main concern is around the slide. i.e. how do we get underneath it to remove carpet and install linoleum?
Any advice will be appreciated.

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Happy Camping,
Michelle

ScottnSherrie

Augusta, GA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/07 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you start ripping stuff out, a couple of things to consider. The subflooring in these RVs is almost always OSB, which is no good for linoleum. No big problem though, you just need to get some luan panel made to go over subflooring. The linoleum we put in called for priming the panels before installing the linoleum.

Now for the big thing I wanted to get to. Measure the thickness of the luan panel and linoleum you plan to use and make sure that the slide will still work. I'm guessing it will, but can you imagine ripping up your new linoleum the first time you close your slide. Ugh!

88 Gulf Stream 34' Sun Vista, Ford 460, Edelbrock Perfomer carb, Thorley headers
Ford F-250 crew cab 4X4, 6.0 turbo diesel
complete roof rebuild
daughter 19, son 16
US Army Desert Storm vets (both of us)
left: The Ol' Gal right: DW with White Lightnin'

BurbMan

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/07 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have vinyl anywhere in the trailer, it's everywhere in the trailer. When they build these things, the build the frame and flooring platform. The whole thing is then covered with sheet vinyl, and the walls and cabintes are installed on top of the vinyl. Carpet is added as part of the interior finishing. If you pull up the carpet, you will see vinyl there. However, as one poster noted, most slides are designed to ride on the carpet as they retract. Close the slide partway, look underneath, you will see two large ruinners, usually plastic, that ride on the carpet as the slide closes. Without carpet, these will grind up a hard surface like vinyl or laminate. You can bring the carpet back to closer to the slide, but I wouldn't remove it.

splinter7

Southwest Harbor, ME

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/07 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were going to put laminate in our travel trailer, and when we took up the carpet discovered linoleum under it with just a few staple holes in it. Took our money back on the laminate. Do you know what is under your carpet?

Sue & Don
Sheena - the cross-eyed wonder cat
Ringo -the reluctant traveler

2008 Ford Lariat F350 SRW diesel 4x4
2013 Arctic Fox 865

MicDuran

Smyrna, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/07 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did think about the thickness of the new floor vs. the carpet. Definitley don't want to rip up the new floor and be the "oops" butt of the jokes to follow.

We are considering laminate, as well. We'll talk to a few flooring people, too.
We haven't looked under the carpet to see what is under there. Wanted to get some ideas and make a plan before we ripped it up.

Thanks for the input so far.

md2lgyk

WV

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/07 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the things we really like about our TT is that it has no carpet. There is linoleum in the bathroom only. The rest of the floor is laminate that looks sort've like granite tile. Have you considered something like that?

"The great object is, that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Patrick Henry

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/07 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like BurbMan said you should have linoleum all over. Pull up one of the registerd in the carpeted section and chech under the carpet. I noticed this when I replaces the plastic registers in mine. You can get stick on slide runners for the floor.

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/07 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guy across the street has carpet in the slid area and vinyle everplace else we pulled up his carpet and there was no vinyle under it so not every one does it ,i thought the same thing that it should be under the carpet.

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

MicDuran

Smyrna, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/07 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked under the slide today and it has a smooth bottom. Kind of feels like Tyvek. I didnt see and runners. By the looks of it the slide rails is supporting the entire weight of the slide and just a little bit of weight is running over the carpet.

1. if there are no sliders and the bottom is smooth, do you think the
slide will leave marks on the now linoleum? There are not marks on
the carpet at all.

2. How close to the thickness of the carpet should I be so it will not
tear the linoleum and the slide? Do you think the slide will run
over any surface as long as it is smooth?

3. How can I lift the slide so I can get under it to tear out the
carpet and install the linoleum?

If you have done this or something similar, I would like to talk to you about it.

Slide. Underside and inside

Thanks,
Mic

* This post was edited 11/14/07 09:34am by MicDuran *

MicDuran

Smyrna, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/07 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did look underneath but didn't see the runners. There are no "marks" on the carpet where the runners would be, either.
Trusting that they are there, could they be covered with something to prevent them from tearing up the vinyl floor?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> swapping carpet for linoleum/wood
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS