|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
Sponsored By:
Greg Schoenberg

Kalama, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/07 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you find yourself in cope-mode on these dark, cold winter days, may I suggest a fascinating internet read. It's the ongoing saga of a 30-something couple who decided to invest their commodity earned assets into sailing around the world (without any experience). Having survived, they are now they are driving around the same world in a restored 1958 VW van (invested 18k in). Currently they are in Baja, on their way to South America, then across.......

They write well...lottsa of nice pictures. The sailing blog is fascinating. Be sure to read the 1st page of the sailing blog. It describes how/why they decided to go on this trek.

The question I'd love to ask them is....why a '58 VW Van? Personally, I'd purchased a quality van conversion RV. Anybody ever own/camp in one of these VW's?

-Greg

Ps. Be sure to hit the cost link. I'm impressed with how cheap their FT RV expenses are.

* This post was edited 12/04/07 09:58pm by Greg Schoenberg *

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/07 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greg Schoenberg wrote:

The question I'd love to ask them is....why a '58 VW Van? Personally, I'd purchased a quality van conversion RV. Anybody ever own/camp in one of VW's?

Besides the cost maybe, I suspect it is more of the symbology of the adventure. You have to truly admire what they are doing.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

WANA B

Rocky Mount, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/07 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why a VW van??? PARTS and service. You can get parts just about any where on earth, and any, most likely, shop will be able to fix it if needed. Beside that, it's just plain COOL!!.
W

ennajean

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/07 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh to be young and able to do such an adventure. And yes it is just plain COOL.

Anne and Dick

DABEE a 2006 Ford Sportsmobile Penthouse top.
States we've camped in.

Greg Schoenberg

Kalama, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/07 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ennajean wrote:

Oh to be young and able to do such an adventure. And yes it is just plain COOL.

Young? Isn't 60 young enough? I'm sure thinking about it. Not sure which would be more dangerous....the sailing or the roadtrip.

-Greg

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/07 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Davydd wrote:

Greg Schoenberg wrote:

The question I'd love to ask them is....why a '58 VW Van? Personally, I'd purchased a quality van conversion RV. Anybody ever own/camp in one of VW's?

Besides the cost maybe, I suspect it is more of the symbology of the adventure. You have to truly admire what they are doing.

My parents' first RV was a VW van very similar to that. They took it everywhere and it served them very well. Only complaint my mother had was the small holding tanks.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

JoeRT04

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/07 03:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is some nice looking van. And stealthy too. And the photos are awesome.
I would love to see some interior pics too.
I would probably keep that thing in my garage it is so nice looking.

I am jealous. We almost at the point in our lives when we can take trips like that. Thanks for sharing that website link, Fun stuff.

2011 KZ Durango 1500 D295CS 32 FT Fifth Wheel

Hit The Road Jack

Treasure Coast of Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/07 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like the same roof rack on that bus as on my 'Roof Rack On A 'B'
'thread' bus

topless

Wichita, KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/07 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe they chose a '58 VW,because if it looked like they had money, they'd be a target for kidnapping. "Rich" people are targets for that in many countries.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/07 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aside from the reasons already mentioned, the older VW's are dirt-simple to do DIY repairs & maintenance on. Carry a few parts and simple hand tools, and almost anybody with half a brain can do enough to limp into the next town after most breakdowns. Recruit a few locals, and it can be easily push-started if no jump is available or the starter's gone. And in the day, there were no "US-specific" models; the same thing was sold world-wide, so new and used parts are easy to find. No computer or electronics... just points and condenser.

Heck, I rebuilt my first '66 VW engine in the bedroom of my basement apartment in 1978, when I was poor as a churchmouse. My girlfriend didn't really appreciate stepping over the halves of the case, but....

There's even an excellent spiral-bound book... something like 'How to Keep Your VW Alive and Running: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Complete Idiot'. It lives up to the title, and even takes you thru an engine rebuild.
Jim, "There is a lot of history which isn't fit to repeat itself."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS