|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
AJarand

Bloomington, Illinois, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/07 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mockturtle wrote:

In reading their preamble, I was reminded that many of my own ancestors embarked upon similarly 'irresponsible' journeys. The Mayflower was one, where four forbears risked life and limb--one nearly drowning--to find a new home on strange shores.

Another New Englander left home at the age of 12 to find adventure at sea and ended up captain of a tall ship sailing out of Mystic, CT. He loved the sea more than he loved his own life.

I think all my ancestors left Europe under cover of darkness with warrants outstanding. One one of them was on a ship that burned and sank in the North Atlantic in the 1850's. About 80 survivors out of 800 on board. No women or children survived... but grandpa found a spot in a lifeboat. Hmmm.

Alan, Marjie and Emily(15)

2006 Phoenix Cruiser 21' w/Slide
E350 Ford V10

Previous RV:
2005 Great West Classic Supreme (Class B)
On 2004 Ford E350, 5.4 V8 Chassis

AJarand

Bloomington, Illinois, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/07 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Handbasket wrote:

Heck, I rebuilt my first '66 VW engine in the bedroom of my basement apartment in 1978, when I was poor as a churchmouse. My girlfriend didn't really appreciate stepping over the halves of the case, but....

There's even an excellent spiral-bound book... something like 'How to Keep Your VW Alive and Running: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Complete Idiot'. It lives up to the title, and even takes you thru an engine rebuild.
Jim, "There is a lot of history which isn't fit to repeat itself."

I did this with a '66 VW. Engine dropped a valve into a piston, so I rolled the VW on it's side in t he backyard on a big pile of leaves. Pulled the engine out and took it to the basement. Took it apart and replaced all the cylinders/pistons. Had enough mystery parts left over to nearly build an extra engine, but I bolted it back in, turned the VW back on it's wheels and hit the key. Fired up and ran for years.

juliev

SE Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/07 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, they're from Minnesota!

JV

Julie

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/07 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

juliev wrote:

JV

Of course they are from Minnesota. Would you expect anything less? Minnesotan's are known for their adventure. Will Steger will be taking our governor to the North Pole via dogsled after all.

Why worry about Social Security? It might not be there for them anyway when they reach age. They are getting a life education that will put them in good stead no matter what that could portend a prosperous future. Strike out while you are able.

My 36 year old son is just now settling down and looking to buy his first house. He and his wife met at Glacier NP 14 years ago, toured the West in a beat up sedan, she volunteered Vista, they both spent 9 months in the wilderness of Utah supervising juveniles serving alternative sentences, and spent a year and a half living in a peasant farm house in Sipe Sipe, Bolivia. They will have an outlook on life I can only envy. My short one week in Bolivia influenced me greatly.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

Greg Schoenberg

Kalama, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/07 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

juliev wrote:

JV

Yaw...Yaw...they aw from Minnysoda.

In fact, there is a cute shot of them in their swim suits, standing in the snow. They flew home from the tropics for Christmas.

-Greg

Greg Schoenberg

Kalama, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/07 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a movie that shows some interior shots. Clever place where he put his green surfboard. No shower fer sure. I'm betting they use a porta potty. We use one on our 22 foot boat. DW barely tolerates it, even though I'm the one who cleans it.

Life on their catamaran sailboat was certainly more luxurious.

-Greg

Lynne Jayzee

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/07 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Davydd wrote:

Why worry about Social Security? It might not be there for them anyway when they reach age. They are getting a life education that will put them in good stead no matter what that could portend a prosperous future. Strike out while you are able.
I don't see this philosophy as being that much different from one that's common within the ghetto...simply substitute crack or heroin for the VW bus...but we digress...

That is quite the spiffy VW! I wish I could've afforded a Porsche, a catamaran and that VW when I was their age. Bless their hearts...they're so adventurous!

- LJZ

juliev

SE Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/07 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Dave, tell your son we have a nice house for sale in Minnetonka......

We would love to be full time on the road for a while, but unfortunately we still need to earn an income. As soon as we figure out an inexpensive way to get high speed internet in the B, (so we can work) we'll be outta here!

JoeRT04

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/07 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greg.

Thanks for the link to the video.
I just downloaded it to my laptop & iPhone and I will show it to my buddy at breakfast tomorrow morning. He had a VW van in the 70's and traveled out to California, just like in the movies. Impressive interior. It almost looks the van has windows from the inside but of course their are none (except the windshield & rear.)

2011 KZ Durango 1500 D295CS 32 FT Fifth Wheel

Greg Schoenberg

Kalama, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/07 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

juliev wrote:

Hey Dave, tell your son we have a nice house for sale in Minnetonka......

We would love to be full time on the road for a while, but unfortunately we still need to earn an income. As soon as we figure out an inexpensive way to get high speed internet in the B, (so we can work) we'll be outta here!

Sprint has a wireless broadband deal for $60/mo. Card serves as both a gps receiver and a internet provider. My experience with the speeds is that it's as fast as DSL.

Maybe your FT goal is closer to fruition than you thought....

-Greg

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS