Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Costco / Kirkland toilet paper - your experience

Posted By: prchoudh on 12/16/07 07:06pm

I have been using Thetford 2 ply toilet paper and am scared to go to the Costco/Kirkland brand. Could you please share the good and bad, namely the bad experiences with the Costco that made you switch back.

Thanks

2006 Fleetwood Tioga 31M(Bilsteins,Safe-T Plus,BANKS,K&N filter,Hellwig Sway Bars,Blue Ox Aventa,US GEAR Unified Tow Brake)
2006 Chevrolet HHR
2006 PT Cruiser Turbo
1 Child & 3 dogs(2 Border Collies and 1 Cocker Spaniel)

Posted By: rv2go on 12/16/07 07:19pm

You will get several opinions on this.
Do this test...take a couple sheets of your paper and put in a jar of water. Leave over night. Next day, give it a vigirous shake and see how well it desolves.
Now try this with 1 ply Scott. Scott will desolve as good as the best RV paper.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

Posted By: JTMO on 12/16/07 07:24pm

It's fine it breaks down well. But avoid the quilted Charmin it will clog.

Cedar Creek 27LRLS 7359 dry with extensive options/7700+ loaded.
2003 Expedition 5.4 FX4 with factory Tow 3.73 Bilstein shocks. GCVWR 14500, Tow rating with no cargo 8650
Equalizer Hitch, Prodigy, Barker Electric jack. Coachnet ERS
Rallies=14
My travel albums

Posted By: gasbag on 12/16/07 07:25pm

Been using Kirkland brand of TP paper for 5 years in the house w/septic and in the rv. No problems in either one. Personally I find that brand of TP paper to be very good. It also sure beats the astronomical prices other stores want for the name brand paper.

Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?

Posted By: swebber on 12/16/07 07:32pm

ruagore wrote:

Do this test...take a couple sheets of your paper and put in a jar of water. Leave over night. Next day, give it a vigirous shake and see how well it desolves.

I can't understand how the shaking of the jar is relevant to using the TP in an RV ? The RV does not shake to the same extent.

Steve Webber
2013 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins and all the bells and whistles
2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS "CramalotInn III",Reese DCHP, Atwood 3500, BAL Deluxe Chocks, Weber Baby Q & Q200, Champion 2000W Inverter & 4000W gennie's
My Camping Pic's

Posted By: charwan on 12/16/07 07:36pm

swebber wrote:

ruagore wrote:

Do this test...take a couple sheets of your paper and put in a jar of water. Leave over night. Next day, give it a vigorous shake and see how well it dissolves.

I can't understand how the shaking of the jar is relevant to using the TP in an RV ? The RV does not shake to the same extent.

If it won't dissolve in a glass it won't dissolve in the tank.

N4FAP

Posted By: DEC734 on 12/16/07 07:41pm

We started using Costco (Kirkland)TP in our septic tank in 1993, and in our FW in 2000. Have not had a problem with either one.

TV = 2004 Silverado 2500HD w/Duramax & Allison
FW = 2000, 30ft Sierra by Forest River

Remembet two things:
1. I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy.
2. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

Posted By: Crazy Ray on 12/16/07 07:51pm

SOFT

RET ARMY 1980,DW Donna,"Tiny" (furkid) . Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford Chassis w/Steer Safe, 4SAMS 6Volts, 525W Solar , TriStar 45 Controller, Yamaha 2400, TOW: Honda CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream". NASCAR FAN 14,18,20,11 LOVE: CO,NM,AZ

Posted By: The Texan on 12/16/07 07:55pm

The comment about Charmin quilted brand is not true. We have used Charmin Ultra Soft for years, without any problems and the test will show it breaks down just as fast as most other 2 ply brands. However, Charmin just brought out a line called Ultra Strong, which is the heaviest 2 ply toilet paper I've ever seen and it clogged our tank in just the 1st roll. It does not break down as the Ultra Soft does and lumps at the bottom of the jar when tested. Be very careful of the new Charmin Ultra Strong. We also have tested and used 2 ply Angel Soft, without any problems.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Posted By: marvmarcy on 12/16/07 07:58pm

We've used the Scott single ply 1,000 sheet rolls for many years. They disolve well in the black tank- as well or better than anything else. They're also relatively inexpensive, especially compared to the rv rated brands. Since we're fulltimers over (7 years) , we never chose to try the Kirtland stuff. We just stay with what is cheap and works.

JMHO

Marv

2001 Volvo VNL42T420, ISX450/1650, super 10sp w/GearMaster
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLRK (20K GVWR, tandem duals)
Piaggio MP3 400 scooter
RVing since 1979 - Fulltime since 2000 (mostly CO, MT, NC & Key West)
Retired USAF

Posted By: Corkey05 on 12/16/07 08:05pm

Been using Kirkland (Costco) for some time now, and it is as good or better than any RV specific paper. There is just no reason to spend extra for premium name brand paper.

2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

Posted By: MrTravelDecal on 12/16/07 08:17pm

Scott/1 X1000 For Life!!!

Posted By: Ray,IN on 12/16/07 08:17pm

Use the advanced search feature to find a thread (about a year ago) by Mrs.Mik. Her daughter performed a TP test for a school project. The results were, all brands tested broke-down after 75 seconds.

TP brand is immaterial - if you use adequate flushing water.

Posted By: PattieAM on 12/16/07 08:27pm

I too use Scotts single ply (1000 sheet rolls), and did try their softer version at home, and it ran out too fast, so was losing money. DH complained about it not flushing as well as the single ply, so we went back to the single ply which seems to disolve very well in our rv holding tank.

The Scotts says on it's package that it's RV and Septic Safe. We use it as it's cheaper and we do hate to waste money on disposable products!

Posted By: johnrbd on 12/16/07 08:44pm

Been using Kirkland (Costco) for on all our rv's and homes. Strongly recommend it for rv use. As previously indicated, be sure to use sufficient water.

Posted By: Lug on 12/16/07 08:46pm

Angel Soft 2 ply. Never had a problem.

Posted By: delton on 12/16/07 08:48pm

RV toilet paper????????? A waste!

Been RVing 22 years, full timed first 9. Have never used special paper.
The only thing that will "clog" you is using too much paper.
Have never had a problem.
Just use lots of water.

Full-Time, 9 years
7 months of year, 11 years

Posted By: retired logger on 12/16/07 09:03pm

ANY brand of toilet paper will work fine. IF you take one single square, fold it in half and tear a half moon hole about the size of a quarter on the edge... Unfold it, run your finger through the hole. Do your business, wipe with your finger and as you pull the square off using it to wipe your finger down.

NO I haven't tried it, but have been told it works great. I understand one roll will last 6 months.

Short time young and a long time old !

Posted By: davepcpowernet on 12/16/07 09:17pm

Retired Logger:

You forgot to mention the piece you tore off - use it to clean your fingernail!

At least that is what we were told in army basic training.

(retired logger, too)

Dave

Posted By: rv2go on 12/16/07 09:20pm

retired logger wrote:

ANY brand of toilet paper will work fine. IF you take one single square, fold it in half and tear a half moon hole about the size of a quarter on the edge... Unfold it, run your finger through the hole. Do your business, wipe with your finger and as you pull the square off using it to wipe your finger down.

NO I haven't tried it, but have been told it works great. I understand one roll will last 6 months.

Then you use the circle you tear out to clean under your nail.

Posted By: retired logger on 12/16/07 09:27pm

davepcpowernet wrote:

Retired Logger:

You forgot to mention the piece you tore off - use it to clean your fingernail!

At least that is what we were told in army basic training.

(retired logger, too)

OH DARN, I knew I forgot something... Beats the heck out of using Ferns or barkless Hemlock sticks, HUH??

Posted By: Wgeorge11 on 12/16/07 09:41pm

I hate skimpy tp and in 20 years have yet to clog things up (except the tank gauge which never works anyway).
I think it's also a guy/gal thing. You gotta remind the boy to use it more often, the girl that a roll a day's too much, and the baby not to feed and flush the john just for fun. Adults? No comment except to note how commercial establishments make pulling an unlimited supply difficult.

Traveling companion

Posted By: Geezer Apprentice on 12/16/07 09:45pm

A friend of mine uses the Kirkland brand in his outhouse and has little to no trouble with clogging.

Geezer 2005 Dodge 5.9 CTD

Posted By: charwan on 12/16/07 09:46pm

Ray,IN wrote:

TP brand is immaterial - if you use adequate flushing water.

Water, Water, and more Water.

Posted By: Wgeorge11 on 12/16/07 09:54pm

Geezer Apprentice wrote:

A friend of mine uses the Kirkland brand in his outhouse and has little to no trouble with clogging.

Uppity people!
So what's wrong with corncobs or the catalog?

Posted By: Deen on 12/16/07 09:56pm

I've always used what ever I had on hand or what was cheapest. Have NEVER had a blockage but then I've only got 50 years experience with RV's.
NEVER dump your black tank till it's ¾ full, if you want to dump and it's not ¾ full, then fill it till it is. Hook up to the sewer, open the valve, wait for it to empty, close the black tank valve, open the grey tank and let it empty. Add about 5 gallons water and chemicals to the black tank (be sure valve is closed). Put hose away, wash/sanitize hands and you're done.

Posted By: Gadget Guy on 12/16/07 10:27pm

Have used Kirkland brand for 7 years with NO problem and the last 3 years with NO chemicals. In my mind the two of the biggest gimmicks are RV toilet paper and all the recommended chemicals that are sold to put in RV toilet systems. I will also add that we have NO odor problems. Most of our camping is boondocking so we do not use a lot of water, just enough to do the job.

Posted By: robatthelake on 12/16/07 10:49pm

Have never had a problem with Kirkland Brand or any other for that matter! The biggest problem with the Single Ply Stuff is that You need to use 3 times as much to get the job done! Sort of evens it out!

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Posted By: davepcpowernet on 12/16/07 11:41pm

No cheek-tongueitis - Never had a problem with any kind of paper. Like Deen says, plenty of flow and maybe even a little flush out before letting the gray water wash the hose out.

Ten miles of jiggling on the highway not to speak of several hundred before dumping fairly well homogenizes the contents of the black tank, especially on some of the well worn highways we are finding these days. I can surely attest to that after a "dumping accident" recently.

By the way, Deen, I think I started in some sort of an RV around 1950 or so. (An old laundry truck)

Posted By: swebber on 12/17/07 04:55am

charwan wrote:

If it won't dissolve in a glass it won't dissolve in the tank.

But if it does not dissolve without shaking will it dissolve at all?

Posted By: ALBQ on 12/17/07 06:35am

retired logger wrote:

I'm not very good at following instructions. Could you post some pictures?

We'll be friends until we're senile-then we'll be new friends:::::

Posted By: javaseuf on 12/17/07 09:57am

"Money down the toilet"!

I use the Costco brand and mostly in my trailer at work where I store it and use it 3 nights a week. The TT doesn't move, except when we go camping and I have had no trouble with this TP breaking down.

Posted By: revump on 12/17/07 10:07am

If you have a problem with TP, try putting a bag of ice in the black water tank when you move. It will break everything up before you drain it.

Bob

Posted By: Dozer Don on 12/17/07 10:16am

We do what a prev. post suggests, after using the Kirkland paper, flush then everyone jump up and down in the RV, that simulates "shaking the jar".

01 F350 PSD, 2003 Alpenlite Augusta 32ft 5th Wheel.
BD Exh. Brake, Aux. Trans. Cooler, Exh,Boost&Tr. Gauges.
Mag-Hytech Tranny & Diff.covers. 1 Chocolate Lab. 2 Honda 2000e's

Posted By: swebber on 12/17/07 12:04pm

Dozer Don wrote:

We do what a prev. post suggests, after using the Kirkland paper, flush then everyone jump up and down in the RV, that simulates "shaking the jar".

Posted By: Scrapz on 12/17/07 06:00pm

We've been using Costco's Kirkland paper since July. No clogs, and the sensors don't get as gunky. We use it inside the house now too and it goes down great. We had been having a clogging problem in the house, but not since using Kirkland. The price is good too!

I bought some Scott single ply and I might as well have been using the tissue paper you use when wrapping presents - way too slick for us!

Kathy

Posted By: retired logger on 12/18/07 10:24am

ALBQ wrote:

retired logger wrote:

Just follow the instructions SLOWLY a couple times then if it don't work... Keep trying til you get it right.

Posted By: Riverdogrj on 12/18/07 11:57am

retired logger wrote:

ALBQ wrote:

retired logger wrote:

Just follow the instructions SLOWLY a couple times then if it don't work... Keep trying til you get it right.

I'm not a prude, but you guys are getting a little too disgusting.

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD -- Duramax/Allison
2009 Komfort Trailblazer 285TSG

Posted By: firedude on 12/18/07 12:32pm

I think yet once again (maybe for the 100th time?) we've solved the TP issue here.

Print  |  Close