|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Genturi Generator Exhaust

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
emmmw

Pensacola, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/08 03:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just back in Amazon looking for something else and noticed the price has gone back up to $139! Hopefully they honor their previous sales that haven't shipped yet... mine included!

1fastdad

mo.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/08 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made mine out of pvc conduit. It just gets warm to the touch. When you out the small exhaust pipe inside the larger pvc you don't seal it off. When the exhaust goes up the pvc it draws air in from the bottom to keep it cool.

newxmar

East Otis, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/08 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a Newmar Kountry Star gas I swiveled the generator exhaust from to underside of the bedroom slideout to the rear ladder removing a 45 degree elbow. Then added a length of exhaust pipe plus a 90 degree elbow so exhaust went up 2 feet on the ladder. Then made a removeable two section ABS (the black plastic pipe which takes higher temps than the white PVC) plastic pipe (supported up the ladder) with a venturi at the small exhaust pipe to the larger ABS pipe.

1. No problem with exhaust backpressure. Increase should be too small to measure.
2. Larger Black ABS stack pipe is only warm to the touch because of a good venturi bringing cool air into the stack.
3. No more CO alarm in the bedroom.
4. Our FMCA chapter has dry camp meetings and the bylaws say that you must have a generator exhaust stack for gas or diesel.

Question---why doesn't the MH mfgr. include generator piping to the roof?? They always want to add/sell new features.

RamblinFever

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/08 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also made my own using a 1 1/4" electrical EMT elbow, a 10 foot section of 3" thin wall PVC drain pipe and a PVC coupler. However I hang the PVC pipe from the rain gutter with no screws, no suction cups and no weight on the EMT elbow. The PVC coupler is attached to the end of the EMT elbow and is a slip fit over the PVC drain pipe.

Also there is no problem with exhaust temperature as the exhaust is cooled by mixing with about 4 times as much air.

The first photo shows the entire assembly.

The elbow is attached to the exhaust pipe with two screws threaded through the elbow and has the large end of the PVC coupler attached to it.

It is important to maintain the gap between the elbow and the PVC pipe. As built, it sounds the same as without the extension. However as the gap is reduced there is a distinct change in sound which indicates that there may be some effect on the generator exhaust.

04 Bounder 35E, W-22
05 Honda CR-V, SMI brake

2cyber71

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/08 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought mine from Camping World....
It's wonderful. Used it up in Canada where I only have 15 amp service.
Used the Generator when I needed the AC to run.....
When we dry camp at the lake it's great.
Once you have one you will never go without it.

The end that fits on my generator exhaust didn't fit, none of the 4 that came with the unit fit, all too small, I had my local Muffler shop make one for me....it was only $10.
cyber

chuck4788

West of the Middle

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/08 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks James for posting your experience with your home built genturi.

The reason for my interest in building my own is because I have a 10kw genny and none of the Genturi adapters are large enough fit my exhaust pipe, I was also concerned about exhaust back pressure if I used an adapter to fit the small Genturin elbow to my exhaust pipe. In analysing the cross sectional areas of the Genturi elbow and stack I felt that I needed a 4 inch stack for my size genny. I also want one for my AquaHot and I still have concerns about the elbow to stack gap cooling the the AH exhaust enough for a PVC or ABS stack.

Chuck
02 Beaver
505hp C12 Cat
Trailblazer toad

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/08 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you build one right, the PVC pipe will not get hot. The secret is in the name itself of the original manufacture, Gen Turi. That is their name for "Venturi". A Venturi effect runs the hot exhaust up the pipe and while doing so pulls in "Fresh air" along with the hot exhaust up the pipe. So if you build one make sure you use at least 3" to 4" pipe and leave a gap in the transistion from the 1 1/4" exhaust pipe to the 3"/4" pipe as RamblinFever has shown in his pictures in the above post. Without a "Venturi" built in to your unit it will not draw all of the exhaust up to the roof and will probably put to much back presure into you exhaust system with detrimental results to your Gen Set. ( Yes the 1 1/4" EMT elbow with a 1 1/4" coupling fits a Onan 5500 exhaust pipe perfectly)

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

BigSkyBob

Helena, Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/08 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fabricated my own for my Aqua-Hot using 3" PVC drain pipe. The elbow is metal that I had made at a muffler shop. As stated, the gap between the elbow and standpipe is critical, but if done correctly it will work great. About 20 bucks invested. Can also be used for the generator.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

Pusherman

Rocheser, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/08 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The explanation above on how they work, as a venturi, is spot-on, and is why the exhaust pipe does not get hot, due to the amount of cool air it sucks up the venturi opening.

To test either your Gen-Turi or your home-made system to see if it's working correctly, is with the generator running, take a small (1cmx1cm) piece of paper and hold it at the opening of the venturi. It should be immediately swept up the pipe and ejected out the top in less than a second. If it doesn't do this, then you don't have adequate draft in the venturi.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/08 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still like the origial product.

Getting hot. I've run it for hours and was able to hold the black pipe with my bare hand with no discomfort. Of course a properly made PVC unit would do that too

Light weight, The lightest PVC I've seen is about 3x the weight of what Camco used

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Genturi Generator Exhaust
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: