Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: 34 ft 5th wheel--my dad is freaking me out

Posted By: Lisa125 on 01/03/08 10:53pm

We are new RVers. Last year we bought a 26' travel trailer. It expands to 31' with it's rear queen slide.

So, we love RVing and went out and bought a new pickup and are planning on buying a new 5th wheel...our first 5er.

My dad keeps insisting that the 34' one we've chosen is too long. Too tall. He's a lifetime RVer but has never had a 5th wheel.

He has me all stressed out that we aren't capable of handling this rig. We are new to towing, but we understand weights and DH is very cautious.

I'm just worried if we don't buy what we want, we'll end up like we did with the travel trailer--thinking, this is no problem towing and backing this and wanting to upgrade again by the 2nd trip.

Anyone interested in easing my mind about the 5th wheel I'm about to order?

2013 Monaco Knight 40pdq
2010 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
1 6 yr old daughter
1 boxer, Cash
1 cavachon, Enzo
1 Havanese, Bungee

Posted By: smkettner on 01/03/08 10:56pm

As long as you are not too long to get into the places you want to go you should be fine.
If you post the model of the truck and trailer someone will help you know they are well matched.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Posted By: jjfay03 on 01/03/08 11:00pm

Lisa, We did the same thing 3 years ago. We bought a smaller TT and then after 2 years DW didn't like it anymore, to small with 3 boys, so we went out and bought a 34' Keystone fifth wheel. I was scared to death the first time I towed it home and on our first trip. One thing that I realized is that it towed much easier than the TT did and now after owning it for about 9 months I am comfortable towing it down the road. Remember buy what you want it gets expensive trading rigs in couple of years! John

John and Jeannine + 3 Boys 12, 9, and 7.
2007 Dodge 2500, 5.9 CTD LB, Husky Brake Controller,
Linex, Firestone Airbags, and a Pac Brake.
2010 Keystone Cougar 29' BHSWE
1 Basset Hound named Maddie and her boy friend Little Boy!!

Posted By: Lisa125 on 01/03/08 11:09pm

smkettner wrote:

As long as you are not too long to get into the places you want to go you should be fine.
If you post the model of the truck and trailer someone will help you know they are well matched.

We bought a Chevy 2500 diesel.

We are looking at at KZ Durango 325bh--34'2" exterior length, 9830 lbs, hitch weight 1986.

Oh, and dad's rig is a 35' diesel pusher with a toad.

Posted By: Lisa125 on 01/03/08 11:11pm

jjfay03 wrote:

Lisa, We did the same thing 3 years ago. We bought a smaller TT and then after 2 years DW didn't like it anymore, to small with 3 boys, so we went out and bought a 34' Keystone fifth wheel. I was scared to death the first time I towed it home and on our first trip. One thing that I realized is that it towed much easier than the TT did and now after owning it for about 9 months I am comfortable towing it down the road. Remember buy what you want it gets expensive trading rigs in couple of years! John

Wow, that's even longer than what I'm looking at. Good to know you're comfortable now. And you're right, we were looking for the new trailer almost as soon as we bought the first one...we're going to take quite a loss on it. I want to keep this next one for a bit.

Posted By: jameswb1 on 01/03/08 11:12pm

I was new to rving two years ago. I bought a used 35 ft 5er. It weighs 11000 dry. I was scared also. After the first trip{60 miles} I felt a lot better. Now towing is no problem. I did purchase a Dodge 3500 quad cab with a Cummins 5.9 engine this past year. Towing is a breeze with it. you just have to be careful as you should driving any other vehicle. Buy it and enjoy it.

Posted By: J-mans Dad on 01/03/08 11:14pm

Oh hes just got trailer envy
Why don't you suggest he swap with you? LL

Posted By: edbehnke on 01/03/08 11:27pm

you go girl. if it is you....do it.

enjoy. the biggest problem might me getting into some parks. oh well.

happy new year.

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
2500HD

Posted By: 2oldman on 01/04/08 12:00am

Lisa125 wrote:

My dad keeps insisting that the 34' one we've chosen is too long. Too tall.
Too long and too tall for what?

Posted By: Golden_HVAC on 01/04/08 12:56am

Lisa125 wrote:

We are looking at at KZ Durango 325bh--34'2" exterior length, 9830 lbs, hitch weight 1986.

I hate to say it, but have told many others - a 3/4 ton truck and a very heavy fifth wheel are a mis-match. The pin weight will probably cause you to exceed your truck's meager GVWR. The truck alone is probably 7,000 pounds empty, and then add 2,000 pound hitch weight, install a 200 pound fifth wheel hitch, and you only have 150 pounds of capacity left for the driver.

I hope you don't mind driving the minivan with the kids, food and firewood.

The truck's GVWR is probably 9,200 pounds. Just not high enough for most fifth wheels.

"But the dealer said it would tow 12,000 pound fifth wheel" - well most fifth wheels put about 20% of thier total weight on the hitch, so that is 2,400 pounds to 25% - 3,000 pounds. The truck can not safely tow that much weight because it can not carry that much pin weight in the pickup bed.

If you had the 6L gas engine, then the truck weight would be about 600 pounds less, so you likely would not need a second vehicle for the firewood and passengers.

To bad you did not get a 3500 series, it might have enough cargo rating - even with single rear wheels.

Fred.

Posted By: Beach-House 4 on 01/04/08 03:23am

I have to take a break from here I think I have too many cans of corn in the fver gotta go weigh it.

2007 KZ Montego Bay 30KSB3,B&W Companion Hitch,Prodigy BC,5th Airborne pinbox/2006 3500 DW D/A CC,Longbed,4x4.

Posted By: DSteiner51 on 01/04/08 03:51am

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Lisa125 wrote:

I hate to say it, but have told many others - a 3/4 ton truck and a very heavy fifth wheel are a mis-matThe truck alone is probably 7,000 pounds empty, and then add 2,000 ch. The pin weight will probably cause you to exceed your truck's meager GVWR. pound hitch weight, install a 200 pound fifth wheel hitch, and you only have 150 pounds of capacity left for the driver.

The truck's GVWR is probably 9,200 pounds. Just not high enough for most fifth wheels.

"But the dealer said it would tow 12,000 pound fifth wheel" - well most fifth wheels put about 20% of thier total weight on the hitch, so that is 2,400 pounds to 25% - 3,000 pounds. The truck can not safely tow that much weight because it can not carry that much pin weight in the pickup bed.

If you had the 6L gas engine, then the truck weight would be about 600 pounds less, so you likely would not need a second vehicle for the firewood and passengers.

To bad you did not get a 3500 series, it might have enough cargo rating - even with single rear wheels.

Fred.

Please, you said you hate to say it... then why on earth did you go and make up your own numbers to prove a point you have absolutely no knowledge of? I've had folks do this to me with numbers totally different then the door sticker and CAT scale weights to condemn me and attempt to destroy my great camping/rving experience. This type of utter stupidity is totally uncalled for.

To Lisa the OP, a 3/4ton truck can handle 10,000 lbs and more. It is done safely by thousands of people every day in construction, Rving, farming, commercial trucking, etc. so don't let someone with no knowledge of your rig destroy what what you and your hubby have decided on. Just remember one very important point... ENJOY!!

D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Posted By: beartruck on 01/04/08 04:18am

You know how Dad's are! They are very protective of their daugthers.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 01/04/08 05:22am

DSteiner51 wrote:

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Lisa125 wrote:

I hate to say it, but have told many others - a 3/4 ton truck and a very heavy fifth wheel are a mis-matThe truck alone is probably 7,000 pounds empty, and then add 2,000 ch. The pin weight will probably cause you to exceed your truck's meager GVWR. pound hitch weight, install a 200 pound fifth wheel hitch, and you only have 150 pounds of capacity left for the driver.

Fred.

Please, you said you hate to say it... then why on earth did you go and make up your own numbers to prove a point you have absolutely no knowledge of? I've had folks do this to me with numbers totally different then the door sticker and CAT scale weights to condemn me and attempt to destroy my great camping/rving experience. This type of utter stupidity is totally uncalled for.

To Lisa the OP, a 3/4ton truck can handle 10,000 lbs and more. It is done safely by thousands of people every day in construction, Rving, farming, commercial trucking, etc. so don't let someone with no knowledge of your rig destroy what what you and your hubby have decided on. Just remember one very important point... ENJOY!!

so which of the numbers do you disagree with? and you say it is done "safely". if it is within ratings with a reasonable cushion it is done "safely". if it is done outside of the ratings, just because they don't wreck every day doesn't mean it is "safe".
and I would say that many of the work trucks that I see used in this manner, are beat all to heck, not something I would want with one pulling my RV.
JMHO
bumpy

Posted By: The Weekenders on 01/04/08 05:36am

A 3/4 ton Chevy diesel will handle that fiver just fine here in the real world. Enjoy it and have a bunch of fun!!!!!!!

Every meal is a feast, everyday is a parade and every paycheck is a fortune!
Spring is coming soon as well Minnesota Twins spring training
Rick & Sheila's RVing Album
Rick's Facebook
2004 Ford F350 6.0PSD
2008 Keystone Montana 3585SA

Posted By: Rawhyde on 01/04/08 05:47am

Anything other than a 12 foot tent camper requires at least a MDT to tow safely!
Preferably a class 8 tractor!

just kidding.....

Drive carefully, pay attention to the road and traffic, and just remember you have 12,000+ pounds back there!
If your hauling that thing 40,000 miles a year I think you would want a bigger truck, but for vacations and weekend camping your ok.
I think some people stay within "The Manufacture Ratings" and then feel they can roll that rig down the road at 80 weaving in and out of traffic.
I find it's not the rig that is the safety issue, it's the driver.

I'd put an exhaust brake on that truck. One of the best things I have done to my truck, wouldn't tow without it.

Use Common Sense and you'll be fine.

Posted By: Veebyes on 01/04/08 06:11am

After much research our first, & planned to be ONLY, trailer is a 34'er. Actually LOA bumper to pin is over 36' but whats a few more inches. We had never owned anything as large as or towed this truck & 5er.

We are in it much more for the 'traveling' than the 'camping' therefore we wanted as many home comforts as possible. After our first year, 2 trips & 14,000 towed miles we are getting quite comfortable driving something that is 55' long bumper to bumper.

On the highway you will find us in the slowest lane with more than double the distance most people drive behind the vehicle in front of us. We are retired. What is the rush?

We prefer the State Parks to the private CGs. We have never not been able to get ourselves into a spot even though many say they are limited to 30' & under. Getting in just takes a little more time & patience.

34' (36' LOA) is a little large, but not big for a 5er. The 36'ers (LOA near 40') are BIG. Can't see stuffing one of those in places we have managed to put the 34.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Posted By: big kahuna1 on 01/04/08 06:26am

As long as you are not exceeding the tire and axle weight ratings you will be fine. You CAN change the GVW capacity by upgrading the tires if necesary as long as you have the axle capacity. Now, the door STICKER won't change but the capability of the vehicle will. Yes, you can enjoy that trailer safely.

Posted By: loveshack1 on 01/04/08 06:49am

You need to go with what suits you and your needs. Dad may have been right if you've never towed before, but with the TT experience, you've already got a handle on it.

As for the towing portion of the fiver.............you're gonna love it! My wife has never driven with the trailer attached, but she IMMEDIATELY noticed the difference and feel when we took off for the first time with our 5er 4 years ago.

If you've got pets and/or kids, the extra room and storage will just amaze you.

Good luck with your decision!

YOU CAN'T SPELL TRAVEL WITHOUT RV

Posted By: DSteiner51 on 01/04/08 06:51am

Bumpyroad wrote:

so which of the numbers do you disagree with? and you say it is done "safely". if it is within ratings with a reasonable cushion it is done "safely". if it is done outside of the ratings, just because they don't wreck every day doesn't mean it is "safe".
and I would say that many of the work trucks that I see used in this manner, are beat all to heck, not something I would want with one pulling my RV.
JMHO
bumpy

All of them. I don't know what the real numbers are and neither do you nor the poster I quoted. Making up numbers to justify an agenda is totally stupid to say it politically correct.

Yes some vehicles are beat up because they have been used to make money instead of being used to boast one's stupid ego. Most possibly have more miles then many here will when traded it in so what's the point?

To say 1/2tons can't tow, 3/4tons can't handle 10000lbs because a given persons ability can't, when it is done safely thousands of times daily is as stupid as saying airplanes can't fly because someone is afraid to fly when thousands do it safely daily. Stop being so negative when it can be proven otherwise.

Posted By: skipnchar on 01/04/08 07:23am

Stay within all of your trucks ratings and you'll be just fine. Exceed ANY of them and your DAD if probably correct. Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: ryanallie1 on 01/04/08 07:29am

Hi All.

Trust me. We have an older F-250 H.D. PSD. And we sure can pull a lot more than 9200 pds. Where in the world did you even come up with that number of 9200 lbs anyways ? That guy doesn't know what he is talking about. The newer trucks have a much higher towing limit than the older turcks do. Go have some fun, and just watch your limits and weights, and you will be just fine. Listen to the RV'er who have the same 5er and truck that you do, or at least as close to what you have, and you will get the correct answers. Not eveyone needs a 3500 with Duel rear wheels. Good Luck and Happy Camping, Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Posted By: donn0128 on 01/04/08 07:38am

Too much trailer for the truck, plane and simple. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that truck in ready to camp configuration will weigh around 7500 pounds. If you choose to stick within the manufacturers GVWR rating, and there is a lot of arguments on this subject, but if you choose to stick to that 9200 GVWR rating then you have 1700 pounds for pin weight. That leaves you with a fiver with a GVWR of 8500 pounds. This is not rocket science, it is simple math. IF YOU choose to ignore the manufacturers GVWR rating then by all means tow what ever you want.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
Resident Dummy.

Posted By: Lisa125 on 01/04/08 07:50am

ryanallie1 wrote:

Hi All.

Trust me. We have an older F-250 H.D. PSD. And we sure can pull a lot more than 9200 pds. Where in the world did you even come up with that number of 9200 lbs anyways ? That guy doesn't know what he is talking about. The newer trucks have a much higher towing limit than the older turcks do. Go have some fun, and just watch your limits and weights, and you will be just fine. Listen to the RV'er who have the same 5er and truck that you do, or at least as close to what you have, and you will get the correct answers. Not eveyone needs a 3500 with Duel rear wheels. Good Luck and Happy Camping, Dan & Jill

Hi Dan....we're in Chico!

Big storm today, huh?

Posted By: shoreman on 01/04/08 08:14am

We towed our 34 ft. Alumascape with the Chevy 2500 8.1 liter gas engine with a 5 speed allison transmisson and it was fine but when we decided to go full time and cross the country we upgraded to the 3500 diesel dually for more stability. We get better mileage and it "never turned a hair" climbing any mountains!Now we're towing a 38 footer with it!!

Whaland and Susan Clark
2007 PF36SK Paradise Pointe fifth wheel
2006 3500 Duramax/Allison Chevy dually

Posted By: cruz on 01/04/08 08:34am

We had a 24' Hybrid that expanded to 30' before buying our 5'er ... a Jayco Designer 35RLTS (38'2") I pull this with an '04 2500HD Diesel / Allison with no issues, and it tows much better than the smaller Hybrid did!!

MFG Ratings on my truck are ...

GVWR - 9,200#
MAX Fifth Wheel Weight - 14,900#
GCWR (Gross COMBINED Weight) - 22,000#

Actual Weights.
Trailer packed and ready to go - right around 14,200#
Truck Actual Weight packed and ready to go ... 7,300#
Pin Weight - right around 2850# (which puts the truck GVWR at 10,150#)
Total GCWR comes in around 21,500# (Under the 22,000# rating)

Thru some research I found out that the 2500HD DIESEL is virtually the same as the 3500HD SRW (Single Rear Wheel) Diesel, with the exception of heavier rear springs and higher capacity tires. The Frame, Drive Train and Axles are the same! Of course the mfg ratings are different due to the stronger springs. I added SuperSprings to the rear leaf springs to handle the extra Pin Weight, and they work great. They don't effect the ride at all when not towing and keep it nice and level with the trailer hooked up. I also replaced the tires with ones rated at 3,340# each.
I've only towed it about 1,500 miles so far, but very comfortably. I was amazed at the maneuverability of a fifth wheel vs the bumper tow.
We fell in love with this particular floor plan and decided not to "settle" for a smaller one ... but, as one poster stated, this was a choice WE had to make.
Do your research and decide for yourself ... Then ENJOY !!!

Hope this helps.

HR & Beth

2006 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500HD, DRW, D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and RED
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS
Cassie - pure Black Giant Schnauzer
Mollie - pure White Mini Schnauzer (the boss)

Posted By: 2oldman on 01/04/08 09:30am

All the weight stuff is the usual diversion, but what's "too long and too tall" mean?

Posted By: Hear-I-Am on 01/04/08 10:40am

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa,

There are numbers, and there are numbers. Let's start with the weight number.

You said you have a Chevy 2500 and are looking to tow a KZ Durango 325bh--34'2" exterior length, 9830 lbs, hitch weight 1986. IMHO, that truck will tow that trailer without noticing it back there. That is a light unit.

I have a Dodge 2500, diesel. I have a heavy trailer - a 32' Cardinal with 3 slides. I roll accross the scales at 19,130 lbs. Heck, I have another 870 lbs to go IAW the numbers police. Also, in the world of Dodge, the only difference between the 2500 and 3500 (SRW) are the springs. They both come off the line with the same 11.5 rear end, the same axle, the same tires, etc. In the real world what have I noticed with my trailer and truck combo? The rear sagged about 1 inch more than I liked which would raise my headlights at night to be mildly annoying. I fixed this with a set of Timbrens. No worries. Realistically it is NOT how much can you pull, it is how MUCH can you STOP!!!

Question 2 - the length. As I said I have a 32' (tip to tip) unit. Yours is 34' 2". You don't mention if the truck is a long bed or short. However mine is a long bed. From the front of the truck to the back of the trailer is 49' 11". I don't have ANY problems finding places to park. There certianlly are places that are too small, such as some National Park locations and some State Parks. But many of those locations would also challenge a 25' unit. For example, let's choose a popular destination here in Montana. Glacier National Park. If I go to National Park Recreation Site and select Fish Creek Campground in Glacier, then of the 40 sites only 16 would be large enough for our units, and 16 would be too small to handle a 25' unit! So, with that being said, your biggest concern on length is probably total length that will prevent you from getting to some places, otherwise you are going to be fine.

Question 3 - height?! Well, I don't think that you are above standard height limits (between 12'-13') Thus unless you have some really low bridges where you are at, again no worries. Truckers move big rigs around the US all the time and may encounter low clearances. Usually 14' or less is where they may start looking for alternative routes. Want to find out where those problem areas are? Go to AITA Online to find out!

So, bottom line, get what will make you happy and comfortable. Get out there and enjoy this wonderful country that we live in that gives us the opportunity to travel freely and have improved places for us to put our big toys.

Dave

David (USAF Ret)
Linda and the dogs (2 wonderful mini-dachshunds Chewy and Chipper)
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V

Posted By: cwill925 on 01/04/08 11:13am

2oldman wrote:

All the weight stuff is the usual diversion, but what's "too long and too tall" mean?

I agree, people love to argue numbers and weights. The point is, get the RV you want. The one that fits your likes and needs. I moved from a 24' TT to a 39' fifth wheel just 5 months ago. Sure the first trip I was a little nervous, but the 5er pulls so much better than TT. I don't have to worry about the semi's blowing me off the road when they pass. The fifth wheel set-up is more stable. Backing and maneuvering is also easier, for me anyway.

You get the RV you want, then let dear ole dad take it around the block. He'll have a new respect for your decision.

2008 Fuzion 362
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2 Harley's, 1 Suzuki Scooter, 1 Smart Car

Posted By: Goin4forty on 01/04/08 11:19am

Lisa

Your set up will likely end up looking a lot like the one pictured below (less the Ranger). Pulls, stops and handles just fine. Take your time and enjoy. I have never had a problem getting into or out of a campground. I think all of us that first jumped into a truck pulling a 34 - 37 ft long 5er were more than a bit concerned. You and your truck will do fine with some patience and common sense. Just make sure your tires ratings match or exceed your load. If you sag a bit in the backend (of the truck that is) add some air bags or Timbrens.

I keep waiting to read all those news articles and hear about all those court cases regarding the trouble folks are having and creating using these darn 3/4 tons to pull these 34ft trailers.

My next truck will be an GMC 9500, TRW(triple rear wheel), tandem axle, LB, with a Turbine engine w/reverse thrusters. Go Pack!

2007 34RBH Keystone Challenger
2005 Chev 2500HD CC, D/A, 4X4, Hypertec, Prodigy, Mor-Ryde, Firestone Airbags, JT Strong Arm
2007 Polaris Ranger SE XP700

Posted By: grizzlygiant on 01/04/08 11:21am

My Dodge 2500 pulls my 14,000# trailer just fine, even over the Rockeys and the Sierras. I assume a Chevy can equal a Dodge???

North Idaho
2008 Heartland Big Horn 3400RL fifth wheel
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 Cummins

Posted By: lone ranger on 01/04/08 11:29am

The axles on our 30 ft 5er track behind the TV exactly the same as our older 24 ft TT did. The 5er holds the TV on the road much better.
Get what you want, you'll soon adapt.

* This post was edited 01/04/08 11:36am by lone ranger *

"HI HO SILVER" 2002 Silverado LT 2500HD XCAB SB 4X4
8.1L 5spd ALLISON 4.10 gears
PullRite 16K SUPERGLIDE w/SUPER RAILS
2004 HOL RMBLR Alumascape 30 SKS

LONE RANGER

Posted By: kaydeejay on 01/04/08 11:41am

DSteiner51 wrote:

OK, then hear it from someone who HAS a 3/4ton Duramax. (see sig) That trailer (loaded) will exceed the truck payload ratings - PERIOD!! If the OP is comfortable with that, then OK. However it will NOT exceed the GCWR, which is the most important for stress on the engine, transmission and differential.
Standard problem with heavy diesel 3/4 tons.
My first fiver had a 2048# dry pin weight. Moderately loaded, with just two of us in the truck, I was 400# over truck GVWR. Truck sagged and the Timbrens I installed made it ride like a tank! I now have a smaller lighter fiver which keeps me under all ratings.
Illegal? No-one has found any reference to legality or otherwise BUT I hope you're not in an accident and the other parties find you have exceeded your truck manufacturer's weight ratings. I know several lawyers who would have a field day with this.
I just love these posts that tell you that you can safely tow whatever you want. Not quite true when you run the ACTUAL numbers.

Keith J.
1999 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC/SB/DA 2WD, LLY with LBZ air cleaner, 52 gal Titan tank, Bilsteins, Line-X, Westin steps, Prodigy, Retrax cover, 16K Superglide, 5th-Airborne pin-box, Multi-vex mirrors, TST TPMS.

Posted By: Skip N Barb Team on 01/04/08 12:14pm

Lisa,

We have the Durango 325SBx3. We also have the Chevy 2500 HD CC D/A, 2007 model. We just returned from a ten day trip to the Davis Mtns. S/P in Texas, traveling in elevations of 7000 feet plus. On the way back, we decided to travel hwy 90 towards San Antonio. We had 40 to 50 mph winds for over two hundred miles. We were loaded with a full fresh water tank, fuel, ice chests, fire wood, propane tanks, and two over weight older campers. Believe me when I say, your truck is more than adequate to handle the fiver. Ours is 34'5", and I haven't had any problems finding a spot suitable at any campground, pull-thru or back in.
Get the fiver....hook up...and enjoy the journey. It's been my experience that of all things to worry about, less than 10% really applies. I truly believe that this ain't no dress rehearsal, but a one pass through. So get on with life!!

Good Luck and Happy Camping.......Skip

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 01/04/08 12:19pm

"Illegal? No-one has found any reference to legality or otherwise BUT I hope you're not in an accident and the other parties find you have exceeded your truck manufacturer's weight ratings. I know several lawyers who would have a field day with this.
I just love these posts that tell you that you can safely tow whatever you want. Not quite true when you run the ACTUAL numbers."

AMEN, kaydeejay,
bumpy

Posted By: 2oldman on 01/04/08 12:28pm

OP.. Please come back and say we've answered your questions and put this weight fest out of its misery.

Posted By: StlHeadake on 01/04/08 04:07pm

You know when I was a leeeetle kid a long time ago, my Father gave me the best advice a dad could ever give! He said "Son don't start it if you can't stop it!". Now that I have aged a bit (prefer to think more like a fine wine), I realize that advice really applies to sooo much more.

So, Don't start it if you can't stop it!

Personally I think you're fine!

My wife and I, our daughter, three wonderful little boys, and two chocolate labs Jazz and Bailey ;^}

'06 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado CrewCab SB Duramax/Allison
2010 Keystone Avalanche 335 RB

Posted By: rvnutts on 01/04/08 04:38pm

Here is my son in front of our 3/4 ton Chevy and our 34' Outback. This was our first ever fiver/rv. My did we have fun! As you can see, it is level and DH says it not only pulled great but stopped just as well. Hope you enjoy your fiver as much as we already have.

Brian and Lynn
17 yr. old son Sam
2005 Chevy Silverado Diesel Crewcab 3/4 Ton
07 Outback Sydney Edition 32FRLDS

Posted By: mwebber78 on 01/04/08 04:58pm

Just as a FYI, here are some actual FACTS and numbers from the offical GM trailering guide from model year 2007-2008 has the 2500HD diesel has the following capacitites:

Max 5th wheel tow weight, 14,200 lbs
Max GCWR, 22,000 lbs
Max payload, 3,353 lbs
Max GVWR, 9,200lbs

All the numbers above are for a typical 4x4 LT with an extended cab, 6.5' box. If you opt for the 2-wheel drive version you get a few hundred more pounds in the capacity numbers. If you opt for the 8' box you loose a hundred or so pounds in the capacity numbers.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Posted By: BFL13 on 01/04/08 05:48pm

Max GCWR, 22,000 lbs
Max payload, 3,353 lbs
Max GVWR, 9,200lbs

All the numbers above are for a typical 4x4 LT with an extended cab, 6.5' box. If you opt for the 2-wheel drive version you get a few hundred more pounds in the capacity numbers. If you opt for the 8' box you loose a hundred or so pounds in the capacity numbers
--------------------
Except when you go look at an actual one of those with a long box the door sticker says its "capacity" is 2,386 lbs. And 750lbs of that are for 5 people at 150 each, leaving 1,636 to put in the box of which say 200 is hitch, leaving 1,436 for pin wt.

So lets say you have 400lbs worth of people and stuff in the cab and want to use the extra 350lbs for more cargo. So now you can have a pin wt of 1,736 lbs which at 20% goes with a 5er weighing 8,680 lbs.

So instead of telling people the "payload" is 3,353lbs (!!!) it might be more useful to tell them their nice truck will go over its GVWR with a 5er loaded wt of maybe 8,700lbs. Which is a very small 5er!

After that if the person insists on getting a 5er weighing more than that, it is up to him, but lets not fake up the numbers.

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

Posted By: sinkje on 01/04/08 06:19pm

This the Dodge towing limits off there web site. This is the hottest topic on the rv.net site. I do just fine with my combo also no problem.

With 4.10 Axle Ratio you can Tow 11200 Lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVRW) (i)=8800
Curb Weight(i)=5667
Payload(i)=3133
Curb WeightFront/Rear=3145/2522
GAWR(i)Front/Rear=4750/6010
Gross Combination Weight Rating(GCWR) (i)=17000

2003 Dodge 2500 Diesel Quad Cab with 4.1 rearend
auto trans.and long box
2007 32TKB Challenger by Keystone
John

Posted By: camper26 on 01/04/08 07:15pm

Lisa,

That combo will be just fine...You might exceed the GVWR a little but, you will be under the axle, tire, and combined weight limits. Don't be discouraged by some of these posts. Many have purchased bigger trucks they didn't need and have to make posts like you have read to justify the mistakes they made buying a truck that wasn't needed. Good Luck..

2013 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L D/A 3:73 4x4,CC,SRW
2008 Fuzion FZ302 Toy Hauler
2008 Harley Davidson Softail NightTrain Special Edition

Posted By: cruz on 01/04/08 08:37pm

camper26 wrote:

Lisa,

That combo will be just fine...You might exceed the GVWR a little but, you will be under the axle, tire, and combined weight limits. Don't be discouraged by some of these posts. Many have purchased bigger trucks they didn't need and have to make posts like you have read to justify the mistakes they made buying a truck that wasn't needed. Good Luck..

Posted By: Mont G&J on 01/04/08 08:55pm

Lisa,
Here are the facts, plain and simple.
Gross vehicle weight rating for 2500HD Duramax = 9200 lbs.
Truck weight with full tank of fuel, plus DH +DW = 7240 lbs
Available lbs for 5th wheel pin weight = 1960 lbs
The 1986 lbs you stated as the KZ325BH pin weight, is the Dry Weight listed by the manufacture. Based on these true figures, your truck will exceed the factory GVW rating by 28 lbs, and that’s before adding water and supplies.
I own a 2500HD Duramax, and have a certified weight ticket in-hand.
Jack

* This post was edited 01/04/08 09:17pm by Mont G&J *

Posted By: Gordon Ford on 01/04/08 09:40pm

Lisa: Throw your hubby, kids and travelling gear into the pickup and get it weighed. Subtract that weight from your trucks GVWR to get your safe load. For comfortable travelling your 5ers loaded pin weight plus the hitch weight should not exceed 80% of the safe load. At 100% of the safe load towing should not be a problem but stopping and turning start to get iffy. Personally I would start with a smaller, lighter 5er and once you are comfortable with it decide if a larger uint is a necessity. Given the trend in diesel prices you may decide that you can live with the counter space in the smaller unit.

2004 F-350 Supercab short box 4X4 PSD
2006 Nash 21-5R
51 Ford 8N and may more toys

Posted By: JoeRnCT on 01/04/08 09:49pm

Wow I'd better go on a diet so I'll be able to get the 5er I want. I sure do like that Jayco 35RLTS but it's longer than what I want. Forest River's Cedar Creek 34SATS and Silverback 30LSA are also out due to unloaded weights of 10,000+ pounds. My other choices are:

Dutchmen:
Denali 31sbbs: Length---35' 2" UVW---8835lbs. Hitch---2094lbs.

Keystone:
Copper Canyon 329FWSAS: Length---34 UVW---9260lbs. Hitch---2100lbs.
Laredo 300RLS (new model): Length---34 UVW---9250lbs. Hitch---1915lbs.

Palomino:
Thoroughbred F-830RE: Length---31' 6" UVW---6404lbs. Hitch---1296lbs.
Sabre 31REDS: Length---35' 1" UVW---8986lbs. Hitch---1891lbs.

As you can see in my sig. I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD, D/A, 4x4, long bed, ext. cab. I pack light and don't have a wife or kids. And, like another poster said.... I'd be using the 5er more for traveling, than camping. Damn that Jayco 35RLTS looks nice.

Whoever said "Money can't buy happiness", didn't know where to shop.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD, SLE2, Duramax/Allison, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Line-X Bedliner, Putco pop-up bedrail cargo anchors.

Pics

Posted By: FisHin2Dmax on 01/04/08 09:53pm

Lisa,

Good to see you have finally found the Bunk model you've been looking for. The last time we PM'ed each other you were considering another make ( Sundance like mine). We looked at KZ durangos and really liked them too. If they made their 305RE a little shorter (it measured out to be 34') it would likely be on the side of my garage right now. I had to limit the overall length to 32' to make it fit on the side of my garage and between security gates. I found I can fit into most campgrounds that are rated for 30' max. At 34', you will have a few less options at campgrounds, but it's totally doable. I have the same truck and I'm at the same pin weight as the Durango and have NO problems! the Weight police here have your best interest in mind, but the reality is you will be fine being just slightly over on the pin weight for your truck ( like all the rest of us with a bedroom slide and a 2500 HD tow vehicle). I did install firestone airbags to help keep the truck level.

KZ is good mid-line coach and it will serve you well for many years! If the floor plan and everything else is what you want and need in a 5'er, then don't even hesitate and just enjoy it! You're Dad will soon have 5'er envy.

2003 GMC HD 2500 CC 4x4 DuraMax/Allison
2008 Sundance 2900MK

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 01/04/08 10:14pm

Lisa -
The forums now (supposedly) have 200,000 members.
~
At least 199,000 of 'em are card-carrying, spec-quoting . . . Weight Police!
(that doesn't mean they're wrong - just vocal, LOL!)
~
The trucks today -CAN- pull and carry stuff just like you see on the TV
commercials. (Well, some stretch that just a bit!)
~
As some have mentioned - sometimes the only difference between a
3/4 T and a 1T is springs. However the 1T -DOES- get the 1T rating,
which could be important "on paper". (Accident, or?)

You -CAN- add various "helper devices" - but you can't change the truck's
factory rating. A 3/4 Ton is still a 3/4 Ton - period.
~
Keeping that in mind, as some already mentioned, stopping ability is
as (or more) important as towing/pulling/carrying ability and capacity.
~
Bottom line - as LOTS have indicated - no problem. Just remember there's
that big thing behind you (that weighs about twice your truck)
- and is happy to give you a push when you don't need or want it.
Exhaust brake is a good plan.
~
Have fun.
JC

Posted By: kaydeejay on 01/04/08 10:26pm

mwebber78 wrote:

Just as a FYI, here are some actual FACTS and numbers from the offical GM trailering guide from model year 2007-2008 has the 2500HD diesel has the following capacitites:

Max GCWR, 22,000 lbs
Max payload, 3,353 lbs
Max GVWR, 9,200lbs
Those numbers, while correct, are only half the story.
What you failed to quote (also from the GM trailering guide) was:-
"Maximum trailer ratings are calculated assuming standard equipped vehicle, driver and required trailering equipment. The weight of optional equipment, passengers and cargo will reduce the maximum trailer weight your vehicle can tow. 15 to 25% of the trailer weight is the recommended 5th Wheel or Gooseneck kingpin load."
and
"Addition of trailer tongue weight cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (RGAWR) of Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)."

Ignoring these two qualifiers will quickly result in a seriously overloaded truck.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 01/05/08 04:43am

camper26 wrote:

Lisa,

buying a TV that does not exceed ANY of the ratings and has a comfortable margin of safety is NOT a mistake, overloading one is.
Just as you can never have too much money, you can never have too much truck, as far as "safety" goes.
JMHO
bumpy

Posted By: Veebyes on 01/05/08 07:52am

As a one year RVer & 25 year boater I always get a smile out of these debates over weight. On boating forums we do the same thing, only we will debate for days, weeks, months, years over the best anchor, how much line/chain to use & on & on.

It is kinda like that old dog that found a bone many years ago & spends his days chewing on it before burying it at the end of the day so that he can dig it up the next day to chew again.

Most concise advice I've seen so far? "If you can't stop it, don't start it." That says an awful lot.

Posted By: DSteiner51 on 01/05/08 08:28am

kaydeejay wrote:

Illegal? No-one has found any reference to legality or otherwise BUT I hope you're not in an accident and the other parties find you have exceeded your truck manufacturer's weight ratings. I know several lawyers who would have a field day with this.
I just love these posts that tell you that you can safely tow whatever you want. Not quite true when you run the ACTUAL numbers.

This is the same total BS you folks have been trying to use for years. You condemn, bitc*, condemn, bitc* about someone who is at most 5%overweight then defend 10% overspeed. I'm to the point if an RVnet person towing hits me because of overspeed I'll see that my lawyer sees to it that person will NEVER again be able to afford rving. Scare tactics are totally uncalled for.

Posted By: cruz on 01/05/08 09:19am

JoeRnCT wrote:

..... Damn that Jayco 35RLTS looks nice.

Yeah it is ...

Posted By: kford131 on 01/05/08 09:34am

mwebber78 wrote:

Max GCWR, 22,000 lbs
Max payload, 3,353 lbs
Max GVWR, 9,200lbs

All the numbers above are for a typical 4x4 LT with an extended cab, 6.5' box. If you opt for the 2-wheel drive version you get a few hundred more pounds in the capacity numbers. If you opt for the 8' box you loose a hundred or so pounds in the capacity numbers.

your numbers are wrong, and you contradict yourself, are these for an HD or LT? i went to the official trailering guide from gm and the 14,200 number you mention is nowhere for HD or LT. if your gonna post somehing, at least check it before you us it as a reference.

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailering/Chevy_Trailing_Guide_Catalog.pdf

hopefully Lisa got something usefull from this thread other than the typical BS banter of being 28lbs over that would keep her from daring to ask another question of the high and mighty gods of weight control.

it gets me each time when someone asks a question like this and gets all this junk back from people who make assumptions. if ya really wanted to help, ya might ask something usefull ahead of time like, what specific model, and year, is your truck cause that will change the capacities significantly. what type of hitch are you looking at?

sometimes there is useull information in these posts, but typically you have to get through the 80-90% junk to find it.

Good luck in your purchase lisa, i am sure it will work out.

* This post was edited 01/05/08 09:08pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: Norm01 on 01/05/08 09:52am

Lisa, is this the info you were looking for . I suspect by now that your dad is not freaking you out as much as some people on this site. Good luck as you will never get a good straight answer off of these sites, best thing is real world trial and error. Worst case if you are not comfortable with the set up is to upgrade the tow vehicle. In my opinion and as many said, add springs or air bags and use the 3500 SRW numbers.

Posted By: StlHeadake on 01/05/08 10:04am

You know I'm waaaay ok with the so called weight police looking out for my best interest. I'm always mystified at the responses. It's as if 'they' have never done wrong. I'm curious what these guys do when they are camping and see the guy with a 32' 5ver and he's pulling with a 1/2 ton. Seems like there could be a lot of lessons taught over the campfire there...

Lisa take your 'lessons' and go camping! Just remember what you have back there! One thing that I don't think has been mentioned, if you haven't already bought it and hitched it and ran with it. When you do hitch it, check your bed clearances. More than one guy has posted here how he's smashed bed rails because he didn't have the proper clearance. Make sure you know how to properly hitch it up. Then GO!! GO HAVE FUN!!

Go have fun!

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 01/05/08 10:24am

DSteiner51 wrote:

kaydeejay wrote:

This is the same total BS you folks have been trying to use for years. You condemn, bitc*, condemn, bitc* about someone who is at most 5%overweight then defend 10% overspeed. I'm to the point if an RVnet person towing hits me because of overspeed I'll see that my lawyer sees to it that person will NEVER again be able to afford rving. Scare tactics are totally uncalled for.

lets see, 10% overspeed. driving 72 mph in a 65 mph interstate. first, how are you going to "prove it"? and secondly, the most danger will be in all of the other traffic passing you cause you're driving too slowly.
bumpy

Posted By: kaydeejay on 01/05/08 11:11am

DSteiner51 wrote:

kaydeejay wrote:

Errrrrr- scuse me! If you look back through some of my posts you will find I have said I drive 62-65mph when towing unless the limit is lower. So please don't include me in the ones that advocate speeding - OK?
I'm also on record as saying that slightly overloaded is not an issue, over 500# starts to become one, but the folks who are 1000 to 2000# overloaded are looking for trouble.
So go pick on someone else.

Posted By: jesterdog on 01/05/08 11:40am

WOW! Let's bring this down a little bit.

How about....Dogs on or off leash in campground?...

2001 Excursion 3.73 geared V-10
2007 R-Vision Trail Lite 8311S

Posted By: Lisa125 on 01/05/08 11:46am

Oh my goodness look what I've started.
I've been offline as we've had a very bad storm & we're on our 2nd day without power. I'm typing this from my Treo.

What's funny is dad was never concerned about weight. LOL

For what it's worth and if anybody cares I knew we'd be a little over on payload & we're ok with it. I'm sure we'll be going with the durango.

Posted By: mwebber78 on 01/05/08 11:48am

kford131 wrote:

mwebber78 wrote:

Max GCWR, 22,000 lbs
Max payload, 3,353 lbs
Max GVWR, 9,200lbs

your numbers are wrong, and you contradict yourself, are these for an HD or LT? i went to the official trailering guide from gm and the 14,200 number you mention is nowhere for HD or LT. if your gonna post somehing, at least check it before you us it as a reference.

hopefully Lisa got something usefull from this thread other than the typical BS banter of being 28lbs over that would keep her from daring to ask another question of the high and mighty gods of weight control.

it gets me each time when someone asks a question like this and gets all this junk back from people who make assumptions. if ya really wanted to help, ya might ask something usefull ahead of time like, what specific model, and year, is your truck cause that will change the capacities significantly. what type of hitch are you looking at?

sometimes there is useull information in these posts, but typically you have to get through the 80-90% junk to find it.

Boy your a real winner.

A LT is a trim level of the HD series, all Duramax diesels are LT level (unless the work truck package has been used, but you wouldn't be towing with a box truck, now would you?)

Here is the link:

Specifications page

Scroll down and all my numbers are taken directly from the 5th wheel towing chart for the 2500HD at mid page and from the CAPACITIES tab, 2500HD chart mid way on the page. Perhaps you ought not be so arrogant in your responses to people, especially to a fellow camper. I posted the numbers as a curtosey since most people were just throwing out numbers, not becuase I have any agenda or axe to grind.

* This post was edited 01/05/08 09:10pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: Skihoser on 01/05/08 01:48pm

Is a litle over weight like being a little pregnant?? Either you are or you aren't. From all the great posts I think Lisa has good info to base her decision on. It's hers to make.

I choose not to exceed my truck's limits. And, I don't have to buy extra stuff to "help" the truck handle the extra weight like air bags, spring helpers, new tires for a new truck, etc. Guess I save money on "stuff" and fuel millage is better so another savings, and I believe I enjoy the ride more. If it ain't fun to tow, why go?

08 Chevy 3500 4X4 LTZ D/A Ext Cab, All the options, TrailerSaver Air Hitch.
07 HitchHiker Discover America 33CK RSB, Quad slide

Posted By: kaydeejay on 01/05/08 01:53pm

Lisa125 wrote:

Oh my goodness look what I've started.
I've been offline as we've had a very bad storm & we're on our 2nd day without power. I'm typing this from my Treo.

What's funny is dad was never concerned about weight. LOL

For what it's worth and if anybody cares I knew we'd be a little over on payload & we're ok with it. I'm sure we'll be going with the durango.
Sorry Lisa, it's just that these "experts" who know so much more than the Dodge/Ford/GM/Nissan/Toyota engineers annoy me a little sometimes with their incorrect and/or misleading information. Perhaps if they had the professional qualifications and legal responsibility to make sure everyone was safe they would not be so quick to say "Tow whatever you want".
As I have said repeatedly, towing within limits is a personal choice, towing a little over is not a disaster, but it bothers me when I read of trucks that are overloaded by 3000#.
Do your best to sort through the BS and Bravado and do what you are comfortable with.
And good luck with whatever you choose.
Now I'm outa this thread - I have read enough!

Posted By: kford131 on 01/05/08 02:32pm

mwebber78 wrote:

kford131 wrote:

mwebber78 wrote:

Max GCWR, 22,000 lbs
Max payload, 3,353 lbs
Max GVWR, 9,200lbs

Boy your a real winner.

A LT is a trim level of the HD series, all Duramax diesels are LT level (unless the work truck package has been used, but you wouldn't be towing with a box truck, now would you?)

Here is the link:

Specifications page

Scroll down and all my numbers are taken directly from the 5th wheel towing chart for the 2500HD at mid page and from the CAPACITIES tab, 2500HD chart mid way on the page. Perhaps you ought not be so arrogant in your responses to people, especially to a fellow camper. I posted the numbers as a curtosey since most people were just throwing out numbers, not becuase I have any agenda or axe to grind.

not gonna split hairs with ya, but you can get a WT with the duramax, all the LT gets you is leather.

again, lisa, enjoy.

* This post was edited 01/05/08 09:10pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: R&DScott on 01/05/08 11:09pm

Beware they are on patrol

* This post was edited 01/06/08 09:03am by R&DScott *

R & D Scott
2008 Everest 322R 5th wheel
2011 F350 XLT SRW CC LB 4WD 6.7 Turbodiesel

Posted By: keyhole51walleye on 01/06/08 01:08am

I was also worried that our 3400rl Bighorn was too big. It pulls and stops fine, parks as easy as our 22 foot tt, and we have not had any problems finding a site.

Enjoy!

http://mandrbrackin.blogspot.com

Posted By: wylecoyote on 01/06/08 05:29am

I have a 05 Jeep liberty, I am towing a 35 foot TT with a 23 foot bass boat behind that. Will this set up work ?????
Oh and will I need a brake controller..

Posted By: bunzo351 on 01/06/08 05:53am

The longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up. You may need more room, but it will back easier.

Just remember to give yourself a little more room getting into the fuel islands and pick fuel stops that have big driveways. I like to stick to the outside pumps whenever possible and I will even wait for one when another one is empty.

Clearances under the canopies in most furl stops is at least 13’-6” but it is still a good idea to see if the clearance is posted. If it is not posted and you are not sure, use a spotter. Every street in the United States is required to have 13’-6” clearance unless it is posted otherwise, even residential areas.

There is an underpass in Lansing, MI that comes to mind. I think it is 11’-6” or something, but it has detectors that go off and lights that flash and sirens that sound if a vehicle approaches that is over height.

The important thing is to know your clearance.

2008 Montana 3400RL, '99 Palomino Bronco 1500
'98 GMC Bog Block Crew Cab Dooley

Posted By: Rawhyde on 01/06/08 06:14am

I bet a buddy of mine 50 bucks this would go at least 7 pages!

This is better than ford vs dodge.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 01/06/08 06:19am

wylecoyote wrote:

I have a 05 Jeep liberty, I am towing a 35 foot TT with a 23 foot bass boat behind that. Will this set up work ?????

I'm giving odds of 2 to 1 that somebody will say that combination will be just great.
bumpy

Posted By: bunzo351 on 01/06/08 09:33am

wylecoyote wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

I'm giving odds of 2 to 1 that somebody will say that combination will be just great.
bumpy

That's combination will be just great.

Posted By: stanbnv on 01/06/08 09:42am

One of my friends brother-in-law's wife's uncle had one of those combinations and towed it all over the world with no problems.

Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
04 Laredo 29GS
06 Arctic Fox 245N
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

Posted By: Veebyes on 01/06/08 10:32am

Too much pin weight!!! Who said too much weight??? This

tows like a dream. No trailer brakes. Boat only weighs 17,000#. Don't care WHAT dad thinks

Posted By: rje on 01/06/08 10:34am

Golden Hvac.... Just wondering are you sure on your weights...pin weight is according to factory specs. 1986lbs......trailer weight is 9830lbs....11900 gvw these figures are according to the facory, Now to qualify me I actually own one and have weighed it out on certified scales the very day that I bought it. So with no water, but propane tanks full And no cargo loaded in the 5er I find the factory specs to be almost right on the money, and before you ask yes I did weigh my truck seperately and then with the 5er, had steering on one scale, drive axle on next scale, and 5er on the next set so I could tell how much pin weight I gained. We pull ours with no problems. I think if you check with Chevrolet you might be surprised how much a 3/4t hd diesel, which used to be the one ton chassis is rated for. Lookin forward to being an escapee, have a great day, and changin' my will as we speak LOL rick

* This post was edited 01/06/08 10:42am by rje *

Posted By: glenski01 on 01/06/08 10:50am

I too was a bit freaked out the first few times we towed our new 5th wheel,(36' and it sure looks big & high back there!) but each time get more and more comfortable. Have towed over many high mountain passes and absolutely had no issues or safety problems. Just stay alert and aware, as with most any RV or towable.

Only problem is some sites sell out soon on the larger sites (35-45' sites), but overall thinking ahead we have not had problems there. Love our 5th wheel, glad we got it.

Some say our truck is too small, some say it is ok. Well it is fine. If I order another truck, I probably would go one ton just to be extra cautious. We added the airlift to level out the rig when towing, it has helped alot.

2011 Silverado LTZ shortbox 3500HD Duramax
4x4 Crewcab w/2" lift, airlift bags, superglide hitch
N-Fab custom steps.
'08 Cedar Creek 36CDTS
Onan Gen, lower body paint package
"Lakota (Golden Retreiver) and "Astro" (German Shepard)

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 01/06/08 12:53pm

wylecoyote wrote:

Of course you can !! I have a Liberty too.

I have a 32 ft TT and tow a 24 ft boat with two ATVs
in a utility trailer behind that.

Brake Contorller?

Cut small hole in floor boards of Jeep, DW drops a 2 x4
through the hole 'till it hits the pavement,
and pulls back on it.

That works great too - except for slivers and potholes.

Posted By: sue.t on 01/06/08 01:45pm

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

Cut small hole in floor boards of Jeep, DW drops a 2 x4
through the hole 'till it hits the pavement, and pulls back on it.

With that combination, I'm thinking you should be using at least a 4x4. Remember, a 2x4 is really only a 1 1/2 x 3 1/2.

Just to be sure though, I'd recommend a 6x6. Douglas Fir. Not cedar.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Posted By: wylecoyote on 01/06/08 01:56pm

I was going to use a 2x6, going with tanks full ya know, but a 4x4 sounds better, Thanks Sue.T

Posted By: DIYGuy on 01/06/08 01:58pm

My very first RV is a 43' 5th wheel pulled by a Volvo 770 HDT. Tell Dad to go pound sand. Learn to handle your rig, make sure the TV is matched to the unit and go enjoy yourself.

Full-Timers, Class of 2014
2002 Volvo VNL770 Toter - Optimus Prime
2007 SpaceCraft - Just Weight
CEO App2Droid

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 01/06/08 07:11pm

wylecoyote wrote:

I was going to use a 2x6, going with tanks full ya know, but a 4x4 sounds better, Thanks Sue.T

The women have small hands the (not quite) 2 x 4 is best.
However I think oak might be worth a try. Been spending
a lot of time sanding the cheap-o two by fours.

WOW! I've received a lot of P/M's about this -
not the brake controller . . but what modifications did
I make to the Liberty.

Easier to answer here.
At first I thought about re-powering, but then I got a set
of those multi-tip spark plugs, some tablets to put in
the gas tank - and the lil' critter picked up about 200 horse power!

Now - I've been wondering about those gas tank tablets . . . .
the price was right - wonder if they would work like vitamins?
(or that other "V" tablet . . . )

Posted By: Humpty on 01/07/08 09:40am

jjfay03 wrote:

Us too. After 2 years, we went from a 28' TT to a large 5th wheel very similar to John's. Love it. Love it. Love it.

Just don't get too much 5er for your truck.

2007 Challenger 33DBB w/ Sidewinder
2009 GMC 3500 CC DRW
B&W Companion Hitch

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 01/07/08 01:03pm

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

wylecoyote wrote:

The women have small hands the (not quite) 2 x 4 is best.
However I think oak might be worth a try. Been spending
a lot of time sanding the cheap-o two by fours.

WOW! I've received a lot of P/M's about this -
not the brake controller . . but what modifications did
I make to the Liberty.

Easier to answer here.
At first I thought about re-powering, but then I got a set
of those multi-tip spark plugs, some tablets to put in
the gas tank - and the lil' critter picked up about 200 horse power!

Now - I've been wondering about those gas tank tablets . . . .
the price was right - wonder if they would work like vitamins?
(or that other "V" tablet . . . )

don't forget the magnets around the gas line.
bumpy

Posted By: StlHeadake on 01/07/08 01:56pm

ummm what kind of magnets are you recommending?

Posted By: bunzo351 on 01/07/08 02:46pm

Lisa125, put your mind at rest and go for it!

All joking aside, I’m sure anyone with enough intelligence to get on the internet and pose a legitimate question and then have the stability to ignore all the attempts to belittle your request for information, will be able to handle any size trailer you choose to pull.

Posted By: Lisa125 on 01/07/08 03:40pm

bunzo351 wrote:

Lisa125, put your mind at rest and go for it!

All joking aside, I’m sure anyone with enough intelligence to get on the internet and pose a legitimate question and then have the stability to ignore all the attempts to belittle your request for information, will be able to handle any size trailer you choose to pull.

LOL, thanks bunzo!

I've thought about it, read the experiences of those who kindly posted their experience of going from a TT to a 5th wheel and I'm sure we'll be fine. Just like the TT there will be a learning curve.

I think we'll really enjoy the Durango!

Posted By: wylecoyote on 01/07/08 04:38pm

StlHeadake wrote:

Ones that are magnatized

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 01/07/08 04:49pm

wylecoyote wrote:

StlHeadake wrote:

Ones that are magnatized

a common misconception spread in error on the web.
a simple electromagnet, without an electrical supply will suffice.
bumpy

Posted By: rnff2 on 01/07/08 05:48pm

Lisa,

My dad also told my husband and I that we didn't need anything "that big". We looked at what dad thought was the "right size for us", and felt everything was to small. We have a 2 1/2 year old and wanted room for him to play inside(and 2 large dogs). Towing was not an issuse since we have been towing a 24ft horse trailer for the past several years. In the end we went out and bought the 5th wheel we wanted. We are very happy with our choice. I know dad still thinks we went too big, but I also know dad is a bit jealous about what we have. Mom won't give in and let him go bigger, so he will never admit he would like a bigger camper himself. Funny how when the weather is bad we all end up inside our "big" camper. Buy what you want, or you won't be happy, and in the end your dad will still be your dad....enjoy.

Kerri

Posted By: DSteiner51 on 01/08/08 02:17pm

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

Lisa -
The forums now (supposedly) have 200,000 members.
~
At least 199,000 of 'em are card-carrying, spec-quoting . . . Weight Police!
(that doesn't mean they're wrong - just vocal, LOL!)
~
Have fun.
JC

Good post except for the statement above. Should it not read, "Only 100 of 'em are card-carrying, if I don't know the actual specs I'll make them up... Weight Police?" They just yell real loud to make up for their small number?

I just hope Lisa and her hubby buy what they want so they can be content and enjoy. I know I sure do mine. This past weekend with a little snow, a little ice and for most parts dry, over Pa. mountains sure made me smile. I look forward to trip nearly as much as camping.

Posted By: windellmc on 01/08/08 02:58pm

Most (all?) 3/4 ton trucks are just 1 ton SRW with a different sticker on the door and maybe a couple of less leafs in the rear spring. Heck the 2007 and older F250 and 350 were different by only a 2" vs 4" rear spacer block. On top of that there was a TSB out to lower the 1 tons by using the 2" spacer. If a 1 ton SRW will not stop something neither will a 1 ton DRW. Also if anyone is 3000lbs overweight on a 3/4 they are quite a bit over 1 ton DRW weight too.

Now 1/2 tons in my opinion are on the edge when at the manufacturer limits. I think the manufacturers feel they have to rate the 1/2 ton right at the safe limit to keep up with the competition. I think they realize 3/4 and 1 ton trucks get used harder and need to have extra margin for being over the recommended weight limits.

This is just my experience towing and seeing what is on the road. I have never seen a 3/4 or 1 ton truck that looked dangerously overloaded. I have seen many 1/2 tons with headlights looking for UFOs and rear tires almost touching the bed. I know my 1/2 ton at the limit was not fun and my 3/4 ton at the limit felt the same as being 1000 lbs lighter.

Posted By: PA12DRVR on 01/08/08 03:26pm

Lisa,

I am a card-carrying member of the weight police. Taking off my badge for a minute, I think you'll be fine with your setup.

Now to your question....for 2 years, I pulled a 34'TT with a suburban and a crew cab pickup. That overall length was somewhat longer than your combination is going to be. I found no problem getting into places, but I've only been to state parks on the Gulf Coast (TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, FLA) and a few on the way west (NM, CO).

What I found was that my TT/combo would fit almost anywhere except a few spots.

I currently tow (until I sell it) a 39' 5th wheel on a crew cab truck. I've managed to get it into most spots, but it is quite a bit more frustrating. It's sort of the flip of my previous rig: instead of a few places I can't get into, I find a few that I can get into.

I don't think you'll find your setup to be unduly burdensome to travel, camp, or park.....and I think you'll be happy with the KZ products.

CRL
Arguably Displaced Alaskan AGAIN !
My RV is a 1946 PA-12

Posted By: sirdrakejr on 02/01/08 10:43am

I am not going to try to answer Lisa since she said she pretty much decided to go with the Durango. SO knowing that, I think this thread is done.
Closed.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

Print  |  Close