|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 1963 Alaskan

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
xp8103

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/08 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome rig! Man, get some pictures up!!

Nik
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD "Outdoorsman"
CC, LB 4x4, SRW, 6-spd Auto, 3.73LSD, Timbrens, TorkLifts and HappiJac QwikLoads

2005 Lance 1010

Member - Cape Lookout Mobile Sportfishermen

63alaskan

Oakland, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/08 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm planning to get the camper on the truck this weekend. I'll try to post a photo too. What's the best way to do that?

trails2004

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/08 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you need help posting the picture, send me a PM and I will help you or post for you!!

gkirtley

Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/08 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I purchased a new 8' Alaskan cabover in the early 1980s in South Dakota.
It had a self-loader bolted to the floor of the camper and that attached
to a metal bracket mounted on the floor, but otherwise they were just bolted to the bed. I never saw one at the factory with normal tie-downs.

The propane tank that came with the camper was mounted under the left wing behind the wheel well. It was a longish cylinder shape--not like any common tank on most RVs. It bolted to the vertical wall under the wing so it stayed in place when the camper was removed. I eventually put a much bigger tank on the right frame rail of my 83 Ford and ran a hose from it to a quick-disconnect mounted on the inside of the bed. I just had to reach through the access hatch under the dinette and attach it. As I recall it had approx. 2.5 to 3 times the capacity of the original.

63alaskan

Oakland, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/08 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I managed to get the camper mounted on the truck using some very old camper jacks donated by a buddy. I bought a rubber pad that is about 1/4 inch thick which brings the sides just a bit above the bed rails. I did bolt the camper to the bed as suggested. It seems to be on good overall shape. I am in the process of cleaning it up, including removing and cleaning out the water tank, which wasn't really too bad anyway.

The camper is supposed to weigh 1050 lbs dry, so when loaded I guess it will be close to 1500 or so. The 1990 f250 HD 4x4 will be fine I'm sure. Anyway, I took a couple of pictures just for fun.
[image]

[image]

Troutguy

Brandon Twp. MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/08 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

63alaskan,

Your camper is a real beauty.....thanks for sharing.

TG

2001 Red Chevy 2500HD X-Cab SB D-Max/Ally 4x4
2006 Arctic Fox 811S Truck Camper & Honda EU2000

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/08 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW! Great camper.

I wonder how many of today's new campers will look as good as yours in 2053. Not many I wager.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/08 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That things in damned nice condition [emoticon] I don't know if it is or isn't, but you can really easily convert that light fixture over the table to 12 volt. Simply unhook the 110 volt wires and tie it into a 12 volt circuit, then purchase a house-hold sized 12 volt light bulb from your local Wal-mart or RV supply (My range hood uses them).

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

63alaskan

Oakland, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/08 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll definitely rig up a cable to run 12v to the lights. That will be easy. The seats that convert to a bed are in fair condition, and are usable, but could use a re-cover. Other than some worn weather stripping, there really seems to be no real problems. I really had the thing up in the air to get my truck under there. The jacks were almost all the way up and I had to air down the tires. Fortunately I won't have to do that very often. This is the kind of camper that will be great for 1 or 2 people-it's pretty small.

dundee204

manitoba, canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/08 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Alaskan,

Sounds like a great find you got! I don't think you need to bolt the camper down unless you're visiting some extreme locations. I looked for an used Alaskan for two years, alas they come up very rarely. Don't have any suggestions on the LP, however if you haul a fishing boat, mount the LP tanks on the boat trailer.

Have Fun!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 1963 Alaskan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS