|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Crack in fiberglass

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
holntuc

Plaster Rock Nb Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/08 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any one had any cracks in the fiberglass in their FW? I believe it was caused by stress of the new tri pod.Just above the compartment below the bed.The crack is so large the body man cant fix it.I have a 2006 Forest River Sierra 315 BHT (35.9) approx 15 000lbs. Anyone else with this problem?

TiogaRV

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/08 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last February, I had all of the corners of my RV fiberglassed (used to have molding). Also, a new fiberglass roof now replaces my old rubber roof.

Fiberglass repair as you describe, takes experience. Often, body shop people just do not have this experience.

Shop around some more, and find somebody who specializes in fiberglass work. I had my fiberglass job done in Mexico by a man who has repaired fiberglass pangas for over 25 years. He did a great job on my RV.

The link below goes to a page in my blog showing much of the completed fiberglass work done on my RV.

MsTioga's fiberglass job.

George

Click to tune into:
The Adventures of Tioga and George

creeper

Deep South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/08 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why is it he can't fix it? Seems a little strange... Underlying problem?

richardndonna

Coarsegold Ca. U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/08 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I've had a small crackabout 2 inches long that I'm keeping a close eye on right at the first courner on the driver's side. The passenger side is good, worries me some.

richardndonna
2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Prodigy
Pullrite 16,000
2004 Everest 293p
& LIONESS

Anson

Raleigh NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/08 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

im curious if the crack that you have is on a 5th wheel that has a king bed, and if it is at one of the corners on your slide, let me know, i can prob help you out and tell you why it has happaned.

troublemonster

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/08 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you talking about a king pin tri pod? If so I really doubt that caused your crack. When you are hooked up to your truck all of your pin weight is off of the landing gear and on the pin box. If your tripod was strong enough (I seriously doubt it) to hold up all the pin weight no damage should of occurred it would be the same as if on your truck. I would take a good look at the frame it may be your problem. A 2 in long crack should be no problem for someone experienced with fiberglass. Make sure you don't have a serious frame problem before getting any repairs.

holntuc

Plaster Rock Nb Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/08 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with the crack in the fiberglass appartently can be fixed, but will still come out again. My husband is a auto body repair tech for 30+ years and says it a no go, and so does the second opinion I got.(Shh!!Dont tell me husband i got a second opinion!) So you guys think it has nothing to do with my new tri pod?I haul my trailer on a regular weekends schedule it doesn't sit seasonally.

bailiffdeactivated

Jacksonville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/08 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tri-pod didn't cause the crack...
It adds support to the pin box when parked. The Pin box on the other hand supports about 20 percent of the weight of the trailer when traveling. On rough roads, I would guess that 20 percent could rise to 30 or 40 percent as the trailer bounces and shifts around.
There is an underlying problem with the frame structure allowing damage to occur.

Now the technician (husband) might not want to repair the damage but I haven't seen damage like a crack/tear/dent/shattered in fiberglass that couldn't be repaired/mended/replaced.

Anson

Raleigh NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/08 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you are able to have this fixed by Forest River we had the same prob and has been an on going thing for 5th wheels with king slides, the prob is there is not enough bracing under the bed for the weight to with stand the rigors of being towed, even montana's had to get it fixed. if you need to get ahold of someone at Forest River give me a shout, i have a name that you can contact to get it fixed right, forest river ended up putting on an airide system on the hitch and all new slide toppers for us do to the inconvence we had. never know till you try it.

routemaster

Deming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/08 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our rig had like a egg shell cracks on the curbside corner of the front cap. Has been replaced once,but is now going to be replaced again this week!!!!!!

2005 GMC 2500Dmax C/C S/B with 06 air box.
Reese 16k Slider hitch.
2006 Everest 344J.3500lbs springs, Monroe shocks, LED taillights Travelsoft water softener.
YAMAHA EF3000iSEB
Fulltimers
Verizon Air Card.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Crack in fiberglass
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts