RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: OPD valve O-ring replacement?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> OPD valve O-ring replacement?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SteveB

Rhode Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/08 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does any one know if the O-ring inside the hose connection is replaceable? I noticed a gas odor when setting up during our last October weekend camping trip so I switched to the second bottle. After all this time I finally remembered to pull out the tank to check inside the valve. The seal is all messed up so that explains the leak.
Searching the Internet was not encouraging.
Thanks!
SteveB

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy
'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/08 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the old POL brass connection pigtail (need a wrench to take on or off)you could go to an auto parts store and see if you can find a O ring of the correct size to fit.

However I would suggest changing out and buying a new pigtail that doesn't require a wrench (new pigtail isn't all that expensive). These new connections are easy to connect and disconnect.

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/08 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Gdtrailer said, you will like the new type connectors better and they do not use an o-ring. If you decide to stay with an o-ring, go to a bearing supplier such as Motion Industries and ask for Viton. The common type o-rings dry out and crack.

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/08 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF that is the O-Ring I think it is, it is replacable.

however without checking my hardware, (And I don't wish to go shovel snow just now) I will say this

If the O-ring is in the tank, check with a propane supplier (not the campground) odds are they have replacements on hand, If it's in the hose fitting, same advice though any hardware may have the part

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

SteveB

Rhode Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/08 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Rich,
I had a feeling the valve was trashed. It is a dumb design when a sacrificial part ruins a an entire mechanism. Time for a new valve...
SteveB

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/08 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are talking about the spring loaded plunger type seal inside the OPD valve, it is considered part of the valve, and is not replaceable. Normally if you mess up that seal, the complete valve must be replaced. The seals can be removed w/ a dental pick, and new ones installed,.......if new ones were available, which their not,....or so say the propane guys.
But I didn't give up that easily, so the propane shop gave me a couple of old OPD valves that the seals were in good shape. Using my shop metal lathe, I was able to machine the seals out of the old valve w/o damaging them. I then installed them in my valve, and it is like new again.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 400 watt inv, 2 12v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a Dodge GCV, or a Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

SteveB

Rhode Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/08 06:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The black ring inside the OPD valve probably should not be called an O-ring. That is misleading. As Rich said it is a special seal and while I have not actuallly removed one, its unusual squared profile indicates that it is not a standard O-ring.
If I can get a new tank for the $68 I saw on the price list I am going for it! Camping World lists for over $70 before shipping.
I'll try my POL to Disposable adapter in the damaged valve so that I can use up the gas in the tank. If it won't seal then I'll dispose of it when I go for the new one.
All I know is that this could have been disastrous if I was not working around the camper to notice the leak.

SteveB

Rhode Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/08 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stopped at the propane dealer. After showing him the black plastic seal in a new tank valve, he gave me a standard O ring. No charge but it really is for a POL fitting. I mentioned getting the valve replaced and he only said that it was real expensive. Oh well, I'm sure there are other dealers around and there are a few camper dealers that I can check for new tank prices. According to a price list on the wall of the place I stopped at the cost is $68 plus gas for a new 30 pounder. That sure is a pretty expensive 5 cent part...

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/08 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

You said he gave you a standard O ring for a POL.. Odds are it's the same ring exactly

I'm tellin ya, the propane guys don't have a clue as to whats inside them OPD valves, and they couldn't find it in their books either.

The o-ring for the POL isn't even close to anything that is in the valve. The seals in the valve are not o-rings It consists of a 2 part weird looking seal that is mounted in a spring loaded plunger, held in by a snap ring that is impossible to get out, and it is considered to be all part of the valve, and is not normally replaceable, nor is it available even if it was replaceable.
At least the OP has got the picture.

$50 to $60 mite the going price for valve replacement, as I was quoted $30+ just for the valve.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/08 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You said he gave you a standard O ring for a POL.. Odds are it's the same ring exactly

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> OPD valve O-ring replacement?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS