|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Replacement Mattress

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ecrone

Southeast, Mass

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/08 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 8 year old Coleman camper and need to replace one of the mattresses. It's an original mattress with vinyl on the bottom, fabric on the top and just a 3 or 4 inch foam pad inside. I have googled on hte web but can't find anything. Anyone have any ideas?

2008 Rockwood 8317 SS
2007 GMC Yukon Denali
In Remission from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma since Sept/06
Me(37), DW(?), DS(10), DD(9), DS(6), DS(5)

springoflife

Butler, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/08 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most people would recommend using a 2" Memory Foam mattress topper. If you go that route, overstock.com has good pricing. The downsides are, you must either have clearance for the topper with the roof down, or roll-up the topper and stow it away before closing the camper. Also, Memory Foam is not recommended for larger people (such as myself) as we will "sink into" the foam more than lighter people. When using a 2" topper on an already weak foam mattress, this defeats the purpose. YMMV, but as a larger guy, that was my result.

I am currently in a similar situation as you, with an 11-year-old Jayco mattress that I want to replace the inner foam, not just get a topper. I measured the mattress thickness, mine is 3-1/2", which I have not found anywhere; only 3" or 4". I don't want to buy a replacement from Jayco, because for me even the new OEM mattresses are too soft. So what I'll probably do is get 4" thick replacement foam mattress from a 3rd party vendor, cut it to size, and then squeeze it down into the original zippered cover. I figure that's better than getting a 3" and letting the cover be "baggy".

I have written to several vendors, asking them questions about density, durability, compression, recovery, etc and trying to get a small sample (3" x 3" square) of their foam products to "squeeze", but NOT ONE replied.

I know that doesn't help you much, but if you find something of interest, please send me a PM and I'll do the same.

* This post was edited 02/08/08 07:07am by springoflife *

springoflife

Butler, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/08 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can live with the "firmness" of the OEM mattress, that's probably the best route for you. The Memory Foam toppers cost MUCH less than $200, but like I said, they do have some drawbacks. Here's an example, it's only $80:
Serta 2" Topper

I'm hoping that others on the forum add their input, too.

crosbygroup

california

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/08 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

springoflife wrote:

I am currently in a similar situation as you, with an 11-year-old Jayco mattress that I want to replace the inner foam, not just get a topper. I measured the mattress thickness, mine is 3-1/2", which I have not found anywhere; only 3" or 4". I don't want to buy a replacement from Jayco, because for me even the new OEM mattresses are too soft. So what I'll probably do is get 4" thick replacement foam mattress from a 3rd party vendor, cut it to size, and then squeeze it down into the original zippered cover. I figure that's better than getting a 3" and letting the cover be "baggy".

Could you use 3 inch foam and wrap it with 1/2 inch of batting?

Crosbygroup 2008 Fleetwood Avalon Highlander

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. ~Henry J. Tillman

ecrone

Southeast, Mass

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/08 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Spring. I am looking to replace the OEM mattress foam and cover. The local Coleman dealer said $200 plus shipping. I'm thinking that might be the best route?

ecrone

Southeast, Mass

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/08 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would you believe I found this? http://www.rvworkshop.com/cushioncover_curtainprices.htm They have the covers. Then, I just need to find the foam.

Mike Up

NW Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/08 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a 4" memory topper with a 4# density opposed to the Serta topper/pillow set that's a softer 3# density. This could be used for most PUP bed replacements.

Myself, if the dealer is only charging $200 for a queen high density 4" mattress, I'd get that. Not only do you get the mattress filling but the zipper cover as well.

Good luck in your hunt.

Have a good one.

* This post was edited 02/09/08 02:47pm by Mike Up *

2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
29'1" bumper to hitch, 8' wide, 6'9" ceiling, 5050# unloaded and ~6500# loaded.

2012 F150
5.0L, CC, 5.5' bed, 3.73 Locker, 4x4, TBC, 360 Hp/380# Torq, 9300# Tow/1050# Hitch Rating, 1582 lbs payload. Great TV!

Campers and Trucks

springoflife

Butler, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/08 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a great suggestion, CROSBYGROUP. Thanks.

The problem is still finding the foam, whether it's 3" or 4" or whatever.

Ithaca

New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/08 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone a few years ago suggest http://www.foambymail.com/ and I ordered it and then put a memory foam on top. Seems to work well. You might want to look there.

R-go-go-2

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/08 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

springoflife wrote:

Most people would recommend using a 2" Memory Foam mattress topper. If you go that route, overstock.com has good pricing. The downsides are, you must either have clearance for the topper with the roof down, or roll-up the topper and stow it away before closing the camper. Also, Memory Foam is not recommended for larger people (such as myself) as we will "sink into" the foam more than lighter people. When using a 2" topper on an already weak foam mattress, this defeats the purpose. YMMV, but as a larger guy, that was my result.

I have written to several vendors, asking them questions about density, durability, compression, recovery, etc and trying to get a small sample (3" x 3" square) of their foam products to "squeeze", but NOT ONE replied.

I know that doesn't help you much, but if you find something of interest, please send me a PM and I'll do the same.

Maybe I can shed a little light on this subject. I've done considerable research for the bottom line on these "Memory foam" mattress' and this is what I have learned.
ALL "memory foam is not the same. There are different ratings and most GOOD MFGS offer the following ..IE: 3lb-4lb-5lb-6lb-and 8lb ratings. Density being the main difference in each rating. I am a big man as well...6'4" 290 lbs. and I've found the hard way...(By buying the WRONG mattress..we won't go into how many!) this does indeed... make a BIG difference.
MOST of the Companies who make GOOD mattress' offer from 10-20 year warranties on these ratings regardless of the thickness....some offer a 60 trial period.
So...bottom line is like this..or at least this is what I have found to be a reaonable assessment...for the average person..? 180 lbs..a 3" - 4 lb rating is probably ideal...however, for some one like ME...a 3"- 5LB rating should be a minimum consideration...(Works for ME) OR a 3" 6 lb rating is perfect if you like a firm feel..
LESS than 3" for full replacement...regardless..is pretty much a waste of time and money..4" is pretty much over-kill for most people...need more support? Up the "LB" rating..NOT the thickness..a 4" or 5"- 4 lb rated means you sink into the material so deeply that you cannot turn over comfortably...unless you UP the "LB" rating..8 LB is generally cost prohibitive.
This may or may not be a consideration depending on your point point of view...but I have found that the "Light pink" colored memory foam is generally BETTER than the white...and I have no idea how to qualify that statement...except that I have tired BOTH..in different thickness' and "LB" ratings and different makes..it seems to hold true.
I broke my back 2 times..and this "Bed thing" is VERY important to me...IF I want to sleep...both at home and in my Pop-up. I can't find the receipt or web-site of my favorite at this time....but I will keep looking..sorry this is so long...but I hope it helps some. MOST GOOD MFG'S- suppliers provide a COVER with their mattress' as well...the 3" gives extra relief on closing the pop-up! Happy Camping!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Replacement Mattress
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS