|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Amicalola Falls SP – Dawsonville, GA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amicalola Falls SP – Dawsonville, GA – 2/8/2008 thru 2/10/2008

• Participants: Ashley, Kim, Dave
• Campground Rating: 5 (out of 5)
• Rating reasons / About the campground: camp sites recently renovated, clean shower house (excellent heater and plenty of warm water), well maintained roads, well stocked visitors center, planned activities (posy the possum, radical reptiles, ranger guided hike from the visitors center to the base of the falls), restaurant in the lodge located at the top of the mountain
• Campsite number: 10
• About our trip: It was dark when we arrived late on Friday night so the reputation riddled "steep access road" seemed even more daunting.

Ashley sacked out on the drive up.

[image]

I would have to say it was the steepest we've had to tackle thus far. Second gear all the way (same way on the way down!). Very easily overcome though (not trying to scare anyone away).

[image] [image]

The following video doesn't do the the amount of incline justice. While watching, pay attention to the trees on the sides of the road. That gives a little better perspective. Be forewarned...it's a large video! (3 minutes)

Amicalola Falls access road video (***Warning 8MB***)

Saturday we drove back down to the visitor’s center to check-in because it was closed when we arrived. They informed us check-in needs to be done at the lodge and could have been accomplished last night.

Lodge:

[image]

View from the lodge:

[image] [image]

So back up we go. They gave us a list of scheduled activities that were happening during the course of the weekend. We went to the "Posy the opossum" seminar at 1:00. It was very entertaining and we learned quite a lot about this interesting marsupial (A mammal in which the female typically has a pouch in which it rears its young through early infancy. They are related to the kangaroo - see I told you we learned something!)

Posy:

[image]

At 3:00, they had a ranger-guided hike from the Visitor's Center to the base of the falls following the Approach Trail (previously call the Base of the Falls Trail - they just haven't updated the maps yet). The last part of the trail is comprised of a 175-step staircase, which ends at the base of the falls. 425 more stairs and you can view the falls from above. We took the top set of stairs back down to the West Ridge Falls Access Trail, which is wheelchair accessible. It is "paved" with recycled tires.

Pix:

[image] [image] [image] [image]

From there we followed Spring Trail to the Mountain Laurel Trail then the Creek Trail dropped us back at the Visitor's Center. It was a nice hike. Ashley even earned herself a new t-shirt because she didn't complain about the excursion once! The s-shirt said "I survived the 604 stairs!" I don't know where they came up with the extra 4 stairs and I wasn't about to count! After dinner, we went to the "Radical Reptiles" seminar and once again learned a lot. Ashley even touched a snake! My only complaint about the trip was that is was windy the whole weekend. Another interesting thing was that about half the campers were in tents. There was lot's of sun with highs in the upper 50's and the lows were in the upper 20's. With the wind it was rather chilly. I would love to go back and attempt some of the longer hikes. Dave.

Stairs pix:

[image] [image] [image]

Campground pix:

Falls pix:

[image] [image] [image] [image] [image] [image]

On the ADA trail, Ashley noticed an old rusty truck wedged up against some trees above the trail. Evidentially, they must have run off of the lodge access trail and tumbled down. That would have been and exciting ride. You can't even see the road from the trail!

Truck:

[image]

Miscellaneous pix:

* This post was edited 02/12/08 04:54am by luv2skyski *

NHIrish

White Mountains NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/08 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great looking spot. I have to say I wimped out of it last year....we were towing our sig rig and I allowed myself to start doubting that entrance....so, could I have made it?

2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
">

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PSD. No Problem. It was definitely steep but nothing that couldn't be conquered. Dave.

bailiffdeactivated

Jacksonville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/08 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures. I can say that pull is steep. Luckily it is inside the park and real slow. Now two other steep and long pulls are Cloudland from Trenton, and Fort Mountain from Chatsworth. Both are not as steep but they are long hard pulls.

MicDuran

Smyrna, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/08 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just camped Amicalola this weekend. Yup, very steep approach. Like bailiff said it is inside the park so you can take it slow and not worry about traffic.
We pull a 26' Terry (approx. 8000 lbs) with a Nissan Titan. We did fine. Again, just took it slow.
The falls are beautiful. The CG is very well maintained. Sites are pretty roomy and not stacked one on top of other.
Send me a PM if you want any more specific info.

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire? ">
Happy Camping,
Michelle

campkrazy

Fortson Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/08 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was this a recent trip?

I noticed that the trees did not have any leaves.

Oh my I hope they have not already turned and dropped.[emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Amicalola Falls SP – Dawsonville, GA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS