|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> My Honda 2000 generator box with lot's of pictures

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/08 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After seeing Boykin Spaniel's reply to the post “mounting Honda2000 on camper bumper” a while back, I started thinking about his generator box he has mounted on his front mounted cargo carrier. I thought “What a great idea – I already have a cargo carrier and a front receiver.” I've also been following the Honda 2000 Storage post and really liked Mainer1's trailer tongue box. I thought it would be great to have a box big enough to hold a eu2000i and my auxiliary gas tank. Hayes Power Equipment wanted $900 for their box. Quite a bit pricey for my tastes plus it wouldn’t hold the extra gas tank. I also thought that it would be nice if all the openings had doors on them that could be closed (Hayes’s box has a permanently open exhaust portal). My local metal shop was willing to sell a 4x8 sheet of diamond plate aluminum for $100 and they said they would even cut out the panels for me on the laser machine for an extra $20. Sounded like an offer I couldn’t pass up. So here’s what I came up with.

The cut panels:

I was amazed at how small of a cut the laser made (the lower scale is in 64ths)! I actually had to trim all the doors so they would have enough gap to be able to open and close. They metal shop said after the program was set up it took the laser less than two minutes to cut out all the "doors".:

Adding a 1/2 inch aluminum angle lip to the lid:

To prevent any vibrations from coming into the camper I mounted the generator on a hanging “platform”. It’s mounted using rubber hangers. The rubber isolates the genny from the rigid box preventing the vibrations from transferring to the cargo carrier and then into the truck/camper. This is the same concept I used on our garage door opener (have to give credit for that idea to my old neighbor). Our master bedroom is right above our garage. It used to make quite a ruckus when the opener was operated – now I can sleep right through it.

Garage door opener vibration isolators:

Generator tray:

Generator tray installed (the generator is suspended 1/2 inch up from the bottom of the box):

Videos showing the different levels of vibration (CAUTION – THEY ARE BOTH 7MB):

genny running on cargo carrier

genny running in box

Here's another one I showing the amount of airflow the generator draws with the built in fan.

air flow test

I use a couple of foam blocks to stop it from moving around while underway:

Inner tube rubber wrapped around the hinges to prevent rain from entering through the gaps along the length of the piano hinge:

Double catch latch mechanism:

1/4 turn latches are used to hold the vent/exhaust doors open when the genny is running:

Misc photos:

Fuel line feed through:

Divider vent hole:

Heading to AMS for the race!

During the SNOW squall (well...at least it was a squall by southern standards) Saturday morning at the race!

We ran the generator for 37.5 hours straight this past weekend and it did GREAT! I wasn't able to take any temperature measurements because it was cold. I'll have to wait for summer for that.

Sorry the post was so long, I got a little carried away. Dave.

10-06-2008 I decided that I didn't like the plastic gas can feed through. Just wasn't strong enough. Here's the metal gas can revision. Later, Dave.

* This post was last edited 03/12/09 07:14am by luv2skyski *   View edit history

2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/08 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geezzzzzzzzzzzz what'a job, beautiful. I travel with mine on my rear rack unless I'm traveling on a dirt road.
Your really going to enjoy it....

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

hwybnb

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/08 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful work. My only concern is with the cooling, especially in hot weather.

Mooney

Santa Barbara, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/08 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave,

How much were the materials, how much time did you invest in the project?

'08 Ford F550, Lariat, Link Air Suspension, Roll-A-Long Conversion, Twin Turbo 6.4, TorkLifts, SuperHitch, "Monster Duty Truckasaurus"
'09 Host Everest, Dual Pane, AM Solar, Link 1000,Prosine2.0,Tank Htrs,Honda EV4010,HD Motosat,Wave 6.

FF1063

NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/08 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 08/04/08 06:57pm by FF1063 *

rhode trip

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/08 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job, Dave!

2002 Dodge 3500 CTD/DRW/
2000 Northern Lite 10-2000cd

www.LapelPinPlanet.com

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/08 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

love the fab work - very nice! Gotta love the cleco fasteners, too. Makes me itch for building another kind of RV ... one with wings!

'97 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Ovaleye

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/08 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really nice....Question How did you set up the extra gas tank. How do you transfer to the generator tank. Pump, siphon?

Tim

2003 Safari Sahara
2006 Jeep Liberty

MrTravelDecal

wandering

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/08 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a hella nice box. I too would be concerned about heat buildup in 80-100+ degrees. How many doors on the box are open while running? Nice work and well thought out.

Myrtle

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/08 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW, great fabrication and engineering. I love the great photos that show all the details. I'm sure there will be someone to reply to this thread, "This is Dangerous". I wanted to reply prematurely with this is dangerous of someone getting it patented.
Awesome job,
Myrtle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> My Honda 2000 generator box with lot's of pictures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: