|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Monaco/HWH air leveling compressor

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/08 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone else had to replace their 12 volt air compressor for the HWH air system?
We were getting ready to head out for the weekend when I had my son jump in and level it to start the refrigerator and wash it and noticed the air compressor didn't kick on. I asked him how much air was in the tanks and he said about 80 psi. I thought well something isn't right. I checked the fuses first off before crawling under the unit and everything for the HWH system looked good. After crawling under I noticed the location of this little compressor and couldn't beleive where it was positioned. It is just behind the front axle about 16" below the floor of the coach. Right where all of the road spray and grime can cover it while driving down the road. I pulled it out and tore it down on the bench and it was corroded throughout due to it not being a sealed motor. After cleaning it and turning the armature on the lathe to remove the corrosion I bench tested it to check current draw and re-installed it. Yesterday I called my local RV dealer to give them a part number to look up a price for me and they could only find the complete system offered from Monaco to the tune of about $700.00. I asked them how many they had sold and they told me they had never ordered on before. I find this hard to beleive due to its location and how poorly this motor is designed for the environment it resides in. I called HWH and talked to their parts person and they gave me a part number for just the compressor without purchasing the whole system and it was a little better but still pricey @ $389.72. I was able to get it working so I am going to give it a while before ordering one but I was wondering it anyone else has gone through one of these or not? Sorry for the long description. Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

waltertore

full time in granville, ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/08 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a 99 dynasty and the compressor is in the same location. It gets pretty grimy like you said, but it has not faltered to date. We did have our compressor on the engine go out. I would suggest you post on the monaco coach owners association forum and the monacoers forum. There is a wealth of knowledge there. Both are yahoo forums. Walter

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/08 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike,

What brand and model number is it?

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/08 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike,

Can you remote mount the compressor in a nearby bay?

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/08 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brett, the make of compressor is Thomas and the compressor part number is AP8400. I just got a call from my local dealer and was told he found it a little cheaper just under $300.00 with tax and freight. I ordered one because mine is pulling a few more amps than I think it should so I don't know how long it has. I will wait to actually replace it until mine gives me some more grief. I am really surprised that it is not a sealed motor. Mike.

series60man

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/08 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having spent alot of time under my Monaco coach, I have been concerned and disappointed in the amount of equipment, wiring and various lines exposed to a harsh environment. I built shielding around the compressor in question to extend its lifespan. The underside could have been engineered more carefully to protect all this stuff. I even had a factory shop manager agree some improvements would be good. It is an ongoing project since I will keep my coach a long time.

dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/08 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Thomas pump is the brand used by Country Coach. I thought about replacing mine with a larger one, did some internet research and found them to be in the $200 price range.

You do not have to use the Thomas pump, you can use any pump as long as the output is as much as or greater than the one you are replacing. You must also consider the current draw of the new pump and not exceed the draw of the old one. Check the data plate on the Thomas and go from there.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/08 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the motorhome not air up from the chassis Air tank system? The HWH 12 volt pump is ONLY for when you are stationary and camped and the air bags leak a little air and that HWH pump is for the system to automatically come on and replace the air lost. Doug

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/08 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug, the air system will work fine off of the air tanks, however, the air compressor should activate any time the air pressure in the tanks drops below 100 psi and a raise arrow is selected on the touchpad. It is designed so the air leveling system will not drain the air tanks. When the coach is running the air pressure is usually above 100 psi so the compressor will not turn on. Mike.

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/08 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Mike,

Can you remote mount the compressor in a nearby bay?

Brett, I started to bend up a small shield out of stainless steel this morning so when I install the new one it will have a little protection around it from the elements. Mike.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Monaco/HWH air leveling compressor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS