|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> GMC/Outfitter trip report to Top of the World

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/08 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, not Everest...but the road is Top of the World Road in Utah, and you'll feel like you're on Everest. My hope was to get there before sunset. We had done this "sanctioned" jeep trail many years ago in our jeep and always wanted to come back and camp. That was before I invented the internet with my friend Al Gore and you had to research by book or talking to someone. In this case it was a Search & Rescue guy from Moab. The views are SPECTACULAR!
However we had forgotten how rough the road was. And the pix just don't tell the story.
[image]

[image]

[image]

It took almost 2 hours to make the last 4 miles. At 2 points I had to take a chapter from Don Curly's book "Road Building 101" and "build" a road. Thank God the mud was minimal after our last trip though there was enough to make the harder sections of rock steps a bit slippery and challenging..
There was 1 section where the advanced road building techniques didn't help & I added my own footnote to the book. "If all else fails place foot A on to gas pedal B and push to floor. Hold there until you have a feeling of weightlessness. You have achieved liftoff. After settling back to earth on the other side of obstacle, get out to inspect damage." In a Ford or Dodge that would be damage to the vehicle. In a GMC that would be damage to the rocks, road, trees, etc. In this case, after the dust settled, I did check my GPS enabled altimeter to find we had lowered the height of the entire mountain by 3 feet! That would explain why the trip down was much faster...
I also discovered that being in a longer wheel base vehicle there is more metal on rock noise that makes my wife put her face in her hands. Silly girl. I heard Boatycall in the back of my mind saying "Crank it up" and so found the best way to put my wife at ease was to drowned out the sound of skid plates on rock with extremely loud music.
So we did make ot just before sunset and there was much rejoicing...after the motion sickness passed. (All that rocking back and forth, whoa) I feel certain to be the first full size truck & camper to Top of the World.
[image]

[image]

There was only 1 place level enough to camp and of course it was not taken.
[image]

We woke to cloudy skies and that familiar feeling of foreboding. In minutes we were wrapped in clouds and it was snowing heavy. Honestly it was like someone turned on the snow machine.
[image]

[image]

It lasted about 2 hours and just before we left the clouds cleared in time for my camera to take some great shots. The Gods were with us again.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The trip down was uneventful except for 1 pucker moment when sliding sideways in snow to a rock ledge of about 3 feet that would not kill us but definitely put us on the ground sideways. I learned a long time ago to fight natural instincts and let go of the brake to let the wheels roll. Thankfully it worked again and catastrophe was averted.
[image]

[image]

After making it back to pavement we were headed to an RV park where I knew a Dodge and 2 Fords all with Outfitters were staging for their own expedition. So we dropped by to meet Don Curly, Nemo667 and Steve_in_29. We missed Don who had not arrived yet but were glad to meet Steve & Nemo, terrific guys, and their wives. I can see now how this forum can be so much fun in the outside world. Howevere when asked by Steve why we never camped with friends I had to explain that being a red-headed step-child came with a price, no friends, and that I've learned to enjoy being solo. I mean where's the thrill of possibly getting stuck if there's someone there to pull you out. I enjoyed their sense of humor also as much was made of my "little 3/4 ton Jimmy" compared to their mega 1 ton Fords. It was funny though, as we were leaving, to look back in time to see them both putting bright red GMC emblems over their Ford insignias! I had a feeling they might wish to have "the real thing" before their trip was over. I also wondered...did Don have his GMC emblem with him on his Dodge?
So from there we headed for Muley Point overlooking Monument Valley from about 25 miles away. Again, no mud!
[image]

[image]

[image]

Headed back to Phoenix we have always wanted to see the Grand Falls of the Little Colorado River that flow only March thru June on a wet year. Otherwise the river is dry at this point. These falls are in the middle of nowhere on the Navajo Indian Reservation!
[image]

We were grateful to see them at full flow, the water looking like liquid chocolate.
[image]

[image]

After getting home and catching up on the newspaper I was startled to see an article from Moab, Utah."Geologists are puzzled as to a tectonic shift north of Onion Creek and east of Fisher Towers in an area not know for recent movement in over 1 million years. An entire plateau has effectively been lowered by several feet." My wife and I smiled. I wonder what the scientists will say when we make it back for some 4wheeling in the Colorado Rockies. I plan to lower some of those 14 thousand ft. peaks to around 13.
*Side note: Those of you in the eastern half of Arizona feeling earth movement the weekend of March 29th, I'll be 4wheelin up Cherry Creek Road to some 900 year old ruins, and just putting my pedal to the metal!
For full size pix and a few more of the trip here you go...it's the Top of the World album
Thanks for reading,
Dave Rogers
[image]

* This post was last edited 04/13/08 09:42am by whazoo *   View edit history

moparmaga2

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/08 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW! Those are beautiful pictures. I think you have officially earned the title of the Master Boondocker, I have never seen anyone else come close to the shots in the first set of pictures.

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi
2008 Yamaha FJR Sport Touring Bike in the bed of the truck

SanCap

Sanibel Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/08 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome photos!! Thanks for sharing.

Jim

2011 Mobile Suites 38 REPS, 2011 Chevy 3500 Dually. Click here to see our adventures
Our Photos

russd

northern az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/08 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

holy moly those are some awesome pictures.

russd
  • 2003.25 f350 cc sb 4x4 6.0/torqshift 06' artic fox 811

• RenoAl

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/08 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great job and superb photos!
    Good luck and good camping

2005 Dodge 3500 DRW:Firestone air bags w/ in dual cab control, Rancho 9000, Helwig sway bar, 55 gal fuel tank, cold air box
    2005 Lance 1191: generator, TV, A/C, solar
    Bayliner 19.5 Capri & 12 ft. Gregor
    1965 TBird
    Rosie the dog

B-n-B

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/08 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome![emoticon]

snowranger

sf

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/08 12:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! breathtaking photos. Bravo.

trails2004

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/08 12:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job and great pics- thanks for sharing [emoticon]

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/08 02:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome is almost an understatement here.

Well done! Superb write up and photos.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
    2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
    2003 Hitchhiker Discover America Quad Slide
    2016 Lance 1172 Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
    RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

tmm2good

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/08 03:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutley beautiful ! What a great trip and thanks for sharing it with the world !

18 GD Momentum 376
    13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
    Motorcycles / ATV's

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
    Page of 5  
    Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> GMC/Outfitter trip report to Top of the World
    Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
    Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS