RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Outfitter White Rim Trail Expedition (part deux)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter White Rim Trail Expedition (part deux)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/08 11:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got home yesterday afternoon and washed the camper. Just got finished washing the truck this morning and my driveway looks a lot like Moab UT...with smaller rocks of course. ...What a trip it was... We left Louisiana Thursday afternoon on the 13th of March and started the 22 hour drive to Moab Utah. We were meeting two other couples to navigate the White Rim Trail at Archview Campground just above Hwy 313, the entrance road to the White Rim. By the time we got there we were both tired and just a little bit toasty. We barbecued a couple of steaks with Don & Janet Curley who live in the Moab area and Steve & Shin Urban from 29 Palms CA and instantly became friends. Dave (whazoo) & Lynn Rogers were in town for a trip to Top of the World (see his post on this great trip in the forum now). It was great being able to meet both of them too. Don and Steve are both experienced 4 Wheelers. I'am a novice at best and appreciated having access to the experience for this trip. We communicated with them via email but had not met until that point. The purpose of our trip together was to navigate the White Rim Trail with our truck campers and have a great time doing it. ...We were VERY successful in that endeavor. Don & Steve made this trek look very easy. Thinking about it later, that made the trip more enjoyable for us. If we had done the trip by ourselves there would have been a few more "Dry Mouth" moments than we had and it would have amped up the anxiety level considerably in a few areas along the trail. We would have had a good time for sure, but when you have two experienced guys with you it makes for a more comfortable trip. All of us agreed that had the trail been muddy or snowy that it would have been a much more perilous adventure. Below are a few pictures of the area from our camera including Muley Point and Monument Valley at the end. Unfortunately, we were not able to fully capture the expanse, color and beauty that this area holds...

Thought I would start with a picture of Dave Rogers (wahzoo) and his famous? GMC
[image]
Steve, Shin, Tory, Dave & Lynn...Don & Janet had not arrived yet
[image]
Janet Curley on Musslemen Arch this was our first stop on the rim
[image]
[image]
Don & Steve beating their way up the trail
[image]
Don & Steve pulling into one of several stops along the rim
[image]
[image]
This is a shot of a climb right before Murphy's Hogback
[image]
[image]
Steve making a climb back up to the shelf road
[image]
[image]
Don on the back (easy) side of Murphy's Hogback
[image]
[image]
[image]
We were threatened with this bad weather for much of the afternoon the second day
[image]
[image]
Tory, Janet, Shin, Don & Steve at Taylor Camp our last night on the rim
[image]
What me worry? Shin at Taylor camp
[image]
The climb out and a shot looking back into the rim and the Green River...
[image]
Tory Shin & Janet at the windows in Arches National park our next stop after the rim
[image]
Tory taking in the view from one of the windows
[image]
[image]
After Arches Don headed us out of the park on Salt Valley Road for some camping on BLM land. This was our last night together. Good food, good fire, a little Wild Turkey and a great time.
[image]
[image]
[image]
Muley Point looking across to Monument Valley (thanks again Dave)
[image]
[image]
The Goose Necks
[image]
On the road to Monument Valley
[image]
One of the Mitten's in Monument Valley
[image]
[image]

Thanks again to Steve & Shin and Don & Janet. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip and your camaraderie. Don & Janet's willingness to share their extensive knowledge of the area added the final touch to a great adventure.

* This post was edited 03/23/08 07:04pm by Nemo667 *

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/08 11:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three for three.

Three perspectives of two trips, great write up and photos in all.

Well done!

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2003 Hitchhiker Discover America Quad Slide
2016 Lance 1172 Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/08 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...encore, encroyable!

Great writeup and expedition photos illustrating this expedition. I hope that the Moderators can immortalize it in a new Truck Camper sub-folder, called: TC Expeditions!

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

trails2004

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/08 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Job - it is nice to have a face- with a screen name [emoticon]

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/08 12:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great stuff.
Looks like you had to double pump some of those tight switchbacks, by the looks of the tracks in the pics. The one pic of steve going up a steep pitch finally shows how steep it really is.
We leave Monday for two weeks hard-coring in the desert southwest.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/08 02:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My personal thanks for all three of you guys posting your stories and pictures of your WRT trip, they were great.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman210000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/08 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys are killing me, I want to go out there so bad....

Thanks for posting, what a great trip.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/08 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another view and take on the trip is always enjoyable to me. Thanks for taking the time to write up and post pix there Ben! I almost feel like I was there...[emoticon]

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/08 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ben,

Great shots and a very nice write-up! Since we were in the lead during the trek (a Dodge making sure the Fords could make it) [emoticon] we obviously didn't get many pics of us, so it was good to see some of those shots. It's too bad we missed Dave, Lynn, and their (in)famous Jimmy at Arch View, but at least I finally got to see a shot of his mug without the benefit of any photochop airbrushing. [emoticon]

Your shots and comments reminded me that I forgot to mention the weather on the second day in my write-up. It was forecasted to storm pretty good that day, and we all watched with some foreboding as the clouds built and started dumping to the west and south of us in the Maze District. We were sure it was going to hit us on the more difficult stretches on the WRT that day, but other than a few drops on the windshield here and there, the storminess stayed just to the west of the Green River that day. It really was quite strange to see it storming and dumping rain so close to us, so the weather gods were definitely looking out for us on the 16th.

And it looks like you and Tory finished off your trip back to LA in style with your travels to Muley Point, the Goosenecks of the San Juan, and Monument Valley.

We have cleaned up our truck and camper as well, however, I have yet to get my power washer out and do a third undercarriage blast, so I too will have some red Utah dirt and mud to spread upon my driveway (it's amazing where that stuff can get lodged and you can never get it all).

Anyway, we had a total blast and are glad we could all get together for such a really great trip. (Now we just need to get Steve's contribution).

Cheers!
Don

-'07 Dodge 3500/QC/SB/SRW/4x4/6.7L CTD/6-spd auto/35" Toyo MT's/Ride-Rite air bags/RS9000XL shocks
-'07 Apex 8 fully optioned w/220W solar/2 T-145's/2KW Prosine/Honda EU2000i/Tundra fridge/AC/etc
-'00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4, highly modified w/5.9L Magnum V8

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/08 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah Don, Dave sure likes that photochop stuff huh?

Now what's this about Dodge making sure Ford can make it?? ...I'm not remembering it like that at all; how'bout you Steve? All kidding aside, I think we were both glad to have you in the lead truck...even if it's a ~Dodge~. [emoticon]

Thanks to all for the great reply's.

Ben

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter White Rim Trail Expedition (part deux)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS