RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Trade In Value ???????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Trade In Value ???????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
SIxteenQuad

Pell CIty Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/08 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How can you check Trade in value on a camper. I have been searching and keep drawing blanks. I have found a Toyhauler I like and considered trading the Outback in. They are trying to hit me with retail on the Toyhauler, and give me 14,000 for my 06 Outback.

07 Tundra 4.7, 06 Outback 26rls, Prodigy, and Equal-i-zer.

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/08 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try NADA on line. Only two figures will show. To estimate the trade-in value, figure about 80% of the low estimate with no adjustments for options. JMHO

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

mikeb9550

MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/08 04:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are absorbing the trade-in cost on the retail price. The NADA prices are worthless. They had my 4 year old camper worth as much as I paid for it new. There was a guy selling a camper locally. It was 3 years old and he was firm on this price which was only 2 grand lower than a new 2008. He kept quoting NADA which had his camper the same as a new one.

Here is what I did when I sold my last camper. Research what trailers in your year , length, and similar class are selling for. NOT what people are asking. Then get a price from a few dealers without even bringing up that you have a trade. Thats like calling a contactor and saying that you have an add in the paper for 15% off. Your quote just went up 20%. Once you get your price you are looking for, ask what they will give you on a trade. It will be a couple thousand less than what campers are selling for. They have to take a risk and sit on the money. It isnt worth it for them not to make a couple grand. This price will also depend on how used trailers are moving off their lot.

I sold mine myself and did pretty good. It helps to research.

Mike

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 3.92, Hensley Arrow Hitch

2006 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS

symbasden

WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/08 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are going to be best of to sell it yourself. Used campers go for crazy amounts of money and I see them sell all the time.

I would love to buy a used camper, but I'm not spending 3k (on a 20K camper) less for a 2 year old camper when I can spend 3K more, have it brand new and I know everything that was done to it...

Anyway, sell it yourself, your pocket book will thank you. As you can see when you have a trade you can't get anything for your trade and not only that you can't make a good deal on the trailer you are buying!

I have never seen anyone pay the RVW type price (a very good deal without a trade) and get over wholesale on their trade.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Jeff

2009 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8317SS
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
DW Kelly and DD

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/08 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

they certainly should discount the new one, not retail. check elsewhere once you know the true worth of your tradein.
bumpy

SIxteenQuad

Pell CIty Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/08 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks For the tip. Looks like they are inline with the Trade. Now if I could just get them to come off the price of the TH.

SIxteenQuad

Pell CIty Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/08 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I have a friend who is wanting to sell his Toyhauler. He is not in a real hurry so I am going to put the Outback up for sale locally,rater than get my head knocked off on a trade deal. Then buy his TH. If it doesn't sell I will just have to tech the DW to pull a trailer and she can follow along with the Quads.

maskins

Goldston, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/08 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I just traded in a 1999 Starcraft on a 2008 Sunset Trail. They offered me 7200 for my trade which was more than I paid for it 2 years later and 6000 off msrp. I knew they were just taking more of the camper and adding it my trade. I saw it on there website for 5900 and it sold a week later.

2005 Chevy 2500HD
2008 Sunset Trail ST28BH

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/08 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This won't help you but we bought our 1981 Prowler back in 1982 for $6,000 and just traded it in last Oct and got $1,500 allowance and in those 25 years I did replace the frig and HWH both over 10 years old when I traded it in and it had significant hail damage on two of the aluminum sides, but everything was still working. I have my trailer alongside my home and when I did the deal on our new trailer I was honest with the salesman and said I could only do the deal if they took my trailer in trade sight unseen (I did have a lot of pics). I think for 25 year of use and close to 1000 days actually using it camping costing me $4,500 (that's $4.50 per day camping cost) was a great deal and the dealership now has my old trailer listed at an asking price of almost $6,000.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Trade In Value ???????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS