|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Fresh water tank overflowing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
waltershelton

gilbert, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/08 01:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First time RV'er. When I connect my water hose to my fresh water line, within a couple of days my potable water tank (located on the opposite side of the trailer) fills and overflows. I have to turn off the water hose, disconnect the hose from the trailer and pump out the water through the faucets. Can anyone tell me what is wrong. Thank you in advance.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/08 01:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a valve that allows your fresh water tank to fill while hooked up to the city water connection it may not be completely closed or is leaking by when closed and allowing the tank to slowly fill. The other thing that could be happening is the water is leaking back through your water pump allowing the tank to fill. You may need to rebuild or replace the pump.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/08 02:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I agree with Mobeewan.

If your water pump valves are leaking, they will allow water to pass backwards through the pump into the tank. Rebuilding should fix the problem. The water pump comes apart with 3-6 screws, and you can also check for debris in the valves, perhaps some sand is between one of the valves and the outlet?

I put in a check valve in the inlet to my water pump, and I still get a full fresh water tank in about 2 weeks (I have 100 gallon tank), so I am suspecting it is leaking past my tightly closed fresh water fill bypass valve. I might need to replace that next.

Good Luck,

Fred.

virgil

Albany. La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/08 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The daughters class A did the same this weekend, we could not find the valve to close off the fresh water tank, so we drained it and the second time it filled it did not overflow, as if there is a float or some kind of signal given to indicate that the fresh water tank is full and water goes only to regular routes.This is while the hose is connected to city water side,

Virg, Linda
2002 F250 SD Supercab 7.3L PSD
2005 WBLE 30` CARDINAL

tandkj

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/08 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We discovered that if there is to much water pressure the water will bypass and go directly into the water tank. I have an adjustable water regulator to keep this from happening.

Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

stugpanzer

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/08 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the exact problem in my Four Winds. The check valve built into the pump was bad. The dealer replaced the pump under warranty. I am told this is very common.

2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/08 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is one reason I never hook up to "city Water" supply. I just operate from the tank using my on board water pump. (I have a Shur Flow Smart Sensor 5.7 pump and it works really good and quiet and gives me the same pressure day in and day out) When the tank gets low I hook up and refill and then turn off the "City Water" No pressure regulator needed, no worry about the fill valve leaking by, or the check valve in the water pump leaking, or my plumbing lines breaking from a sudden rise in pressure.
But to get to your problrm it is either the "Fill" valve is leaking by or the "Check" valve in your water pump is leaking by thus allowing the tank to "Fill" and subsequetly overfilling.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

partimcmpr

Fayetteville, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/08 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

othertonka wrote:

That is one reason I never hook up to "city Water" supply. I just operate from the tank using my on board water pump. (I have a Shur Flow Smart Sensor 5.7 pump and it works really good and quiet and gives me the same pressure day in and day out) When the tank gets low I hook up and refill and then turn off the "City Water" No pressure regulator needed, no worry about the fill valve leaking by, or the check valve in the water pump leaking, or my plumbing lines breaking from a sudden rise in pressure.
But to get to your problrm it is either the "Fill" valve is leaking by or the "Check" valve in your water pump is leaking by thus allowing the tank to "Fill" and subsequetly overfilling.

First time I have heard this method. Makes sense though. Do you camp full-time? If not, what do you do at the end of your stay with the water in your tank? I would be concerned with wasting water or hauling around the extra weight?

Just curious....

ParTimCmpr

Fayetteville, Georgia
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD D/A
2009 Forest River Sierra 291RL

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/08 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a full timer, just a part timer and I don't worry about how much water is in the tank when I travel, and if it is extra weight to carry. I am not overloaded with the things I normally carry and it doesn't seem to matter about fuel milage whether the tank is full or empty. Remember I use my tank water until it gets low and then refill if NEEDED for the rest of the stay. If not needed, I don't bother to refill just as long as I have enough water for the trip to the next stop. When I get home, I hook up a garden hose to my tank drain and water the flowers. One thing I like about this method is the water pressure stays the same all the time. Also no freezing of the supply hose during freezing weather because the hose is not hooked up.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Fresh water tank overflowing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS