RV.Net Open Roads Forum: One Electrical Outlet not working on Shore/Generator power

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> One Electrical Outlet not working on Shore/Generator power

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
John&Sandy

Madison, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/08 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an odd situation which we can not figure out, any assistance would be great.

We have ONE outlet in our motorhome that is a cabinet which is where our microwave plugs into. We have power to the outlet when we are running through the batteries/inverter; however when we plug it into Shore or run the Generator we have NO power. All of the other outlets in the coach work just fine under, but this one. We have tested the outlet with a voltage tester and get the same results, and the microwave will run just fine when we run an extension cord to one of the other outlets.

So whats up?

Thanks, Sandy

John and Sandy
2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 SKT

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The microwave outlet goes straight to the inverter AC outlet, while the other outlets go through the main AC Dist panel circuits.

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/08 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like that one outlet is only wired directly to the invertor and will only work when the invertor is ON. Since you said it would not work when plugged into Shore or gen power even with the invertor ON, it seems that when you plug in, the invertor gets disconnected from this circuit somehow. I have no idea where to look but who ever installed the Invertor and wired it like this made a mistake somewhere. What else does the invertor power when you are only operating from the battery? Is it just the Microwave? Or are there other outlets HOT from the invertor like the television? Does the invertor have a built in battery charger? If so, could be that when you plug in to shore power, the invertor switchs to the battery charger and thus you have no voltage to the microwave. Just a guess but something to look at.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

John&Sandy

Madison, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/08 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JFG - I guess I didn't state that, but the inverter was on even when we were plugged into shore/generator power.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some inverters have a built in automatic transfer switch, Some use an external one and some,, You move plugs around as needed

I'm guessing a failed transfer switch

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

JFG

TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like my setup... the inverter must be "on" for this outlet even though you are connected to shore or genset

Fred

MELM

GA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please post the make and model of the inverter.

If it has a transfer switch built in, that may be the problem.

But, check your main circuit breaker panel for a breaker for the microwave. If it is tripped, there will be no power to pass through the transfer switch for that receptacle. A heads-up - some breakers barely show that they are tripped; if one is labelled for the microwave, you should turn it firmly off and back on.

Also, if you have an EMS system and the microwave is one of the items that it controls, check it.

Mel & Mary Ann; Mo'Be (More Behave...) and Bella
"If you have an RV, you don't need another hobby." Comment from a friend...

90 Champion LaSalle MH 29 ft P30 (89 Chassis)

Visit The Official Blog of the Open Road

MELM

GA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John % Angela - Some inverters have multiple AC inputs from separate breakers for separate circuits. That's why I asked for the inverter info.

One could be causing the inverter to function correctly, but another could be missing and not feeding the circuit when on shore power.

Mel

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Some inverters have a built in automatic transfer switch, Some use an external one and some,, You move plugs around as needed

I'm guessing a failed transfer switch

Have to agree with this one. Transfer switches occasionally fail. provide the make and model of your inverter and we'll be able to tell if it has a built in transfer switch.

MELM. The reason I don't thin it's a breaker is that it seems to be sensing the 120 meaning the 120 to the inverter is good...at least on the sense side. Never hurts to check the breakers though.

* This post was edited 04/06/08 08:33pm by John & Angela *

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/08 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point MELM I tend to assume the OP did things like check breakers... I know, I should not do that, but checking breakers and fuses is so automatic for me I tend to over look it.

Often it is the simple stuff that messes us up

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> One Electrical Outlet not working on Shore/Generator power
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS