Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Underbody spare tire mount

Posted By: Wgeorge11 on 04/07/08 08:23am

Anyone one out there in RV land ever mount a spare tire under a TT body? I'd like to move my spare from the rear bumper and mount it under body using an automotive cable pulley setup. Opinions and experience are appreciated.

Traveling companion

Posted By: skipnchar on 04/07/08 09:14am

Should work on the tongue of the trailer or near the axles. It would seem that it could seriously reduce your ground clearance in the back unless your underbelly is open and it could be pulled up into the frame.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: mobeewan on 04/07/08 09:14am

Some have gone to junk yards and bought the crank down type as you are considering that mount under pick up trucks and added them under their trailers. Some trailer manufacturers are putting those type under their trailers. I am looking into doing that myself. A couple other ideas I am looking into are making my own under frame racks (one on eack side) that the tires will sit on. The first one type would attach with pivot point at the trailer centerline. It would unlock at the edge of the trailer, pull a couple pins and swing down. The tire would slide then off. The second would be like the lacks under a semi trailer, secured with a cable lock. At present I carry my 2 trailer spares in the truck bed secured with a cable lock.

Posted By: ejbrandley on 04/07/08 09:15am

do a quick search there a several on here that have done it

TV 1997 GMC SUBURBAN, 92 Mustang Rag Top
1986 34ft Nomad , Days camped in 2010=30
Eric 35,Tammi 40,Anthony 16,Julia 14,Jason 12,Briana 10,Ashley 8,Robert 5

Posted By: Dixonmatco on 04/07/08 09:19am

Our Komfort came that way with the tire just ahead of the axles underneath.. Much better setup than on the rear bumper.

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Komfort Trailblazer T23S
Honda EU2000I

Posted By: CleanDiesel on 04/07/08 09:49am

I have this setup on my Damon. The area where the tire resides does not have the black fabric underbelly covering. This lets the tire crank all the way up insead of taking up ground clearance. The tire resides close behind my axles. I have a small hole with grommet in my skirting for the rod to go through.

The rod was lost when I bought the 5er, so I fashioned the end of my Ram's rod system with a grinder to make it also mate to the 5er. Very nice to have one do both jobs.

This is a very nice way to carry a wheel, and I second the idea of going to a junkyard and getting one if you have the space to carry it. I may look for a place to hang a second one too.

TV: 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7L Cummins Auto w/3.73s & Prodigy
TT: 1995 Damon Escaper 5'er 36RLB

Posted By: Chris&Lori on 04/07/08 10:28am

Our Coachman came with spare tire slide out tray under the forward part of the trailer. I like it because it keeps it out of sight.

I'm sure that the P/U cable style will work really good for you. Youll just have to fab a mount for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris, Lori and the Greyhounds
94' Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins T/D
05' 30' Coachman Capri

Posted By: Husker Jerry on 04/07/08 11:33am

My Jayco Designer came with the spare tire set up in this way. Its near the rear of the TT, but the trailer sits high enough that clearance has never been a problem.

2001 Ford Excursion V 10
2003 Jayco Designer 31FKS
Twin Honda Eu2000 gen sets

Posted By: Wgeorge11 on 04/07/08 02:02pm

This is turning into more of an adventure than I expected. Stopped by my favorite auto demolition yard to inquire about a part. The people there said I was nuts, that these sealed units and cables are usually rusted shut; that my spare would fall off. That the last guy went through 6 before finding one that worked. Just bolt it to the frame they said!!! So much for selling it in America. So, I'm still looking for ideas from you guys out there about what works and what to avoid. It doesn't have to be pretty or simple, just so it works.

Posted By: Chuck&Gail on 04/07/08 02:33pm

Our Thor of Calif Wanderer came with that stock. Works fine.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Posted By: missouguy on 04/07/08 02:49pm

Chuck&Gail wrote:

Same with our Sunny.

Frank

Frank & Gail
'02 F250 SD CC SB 7.3 TD 4X4
2001 Sunnybrook 33BWS Big Slide

Posted By: LarryJM on 04/07/08 04:28pm

missouguy wrote:

Chuck&Gail wrote:

Same with our Sunny.

Frank

DITTO on my 2007 HR Aluma-Lite. Because of the known failures of the spare tire winch on the Ford SD for the years of around 2000 to 2004, I attached two lengths of angle iron under the A-frame for the tire to rest against along the flat side of the angle iron and then used some heavier nylon rope to double secure the tire in the stowed position to that angle iron. If your TT spare is mounted underneath forward of the axles and probably to some degree to the rear of the TT axles or if your TV tire is mounted under the rear somewhere, you don't want that hitting the ground and bouncing around under your trailer should your winch fail so I would recommend some sort of secondary backup retaining system separate from the winch. I may upgrade my nylon rope to something like the plastic coated rope that I have on the spare on my Van.

Larry

* This post was edited 04/08/08 04:23pm by LarryJM *

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Posted By: brohloff on 04/07/08 11:26pm

Hear is an idea I came across. Presently doing a close version of this on our TT.
Don't like the space on the rear bumper at all.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1075494046047062602lkUvXM

'05 3500 CTD SB SRW 4x4
'07 Tacoma 4x4 daily driver
'05 Nash 22H, Equalizer, Brakesmart

Posted By: kayzap on 04/07/08 11:54pm

Our trailer has a full belly pan and the spare mounted just under the front of the body to the frame. It uses an A shaped mount with the pinty end sticking out and to the side of the battery tray.

In essence you just reach down and unlatch and the frame swings down and you pull the tire off of it. Pretty easy to use and out of the way.

2006 F-250 PSD
2007 Airstream Safari LS SE 25 FB
Adventure is everywhere but sittin
in your chair at home. Go get some.

Posted By: Luvnevryminutofit on 04/08/08 05:36am

I added a Ford spare tire winch to my A frame on a couple peices of angle iron. Last season I cable locked the tire in place, this year I added a flat metal bar under the tire for added support. It pins to the angle irons. I did have to adjust the weight distribution head up one hole on the hitch since the tire was dragging on the ground when I pulled out of the drive.

Mark & Kim
Kaylee, Jake & Justin - da squids
2000 Jayco Eagle 325 BHS
'05 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax

Posted By: AnderRoo on 04/08/08 03:46pm

Here's an example

spare tire mod

Posted By: rlc323 on 04/08/08 06:36pm

Wgeorge11 wrote:

This is turning into more of an adventure than I expected. Stopped by my favorite auto demolition yard to inquire about a part. The people there said I was nuts, that these sealed units and cables are usually rusted shut; that my spare would fall off. That the last guy went through 6 before finding one that worked. Just bolt it to the frame they said!!! So much for selling it in America. So, I'm still looking for ideas from you guys out there about what works and what to avoid. It doesn't have to be pretty or simple, just so it works.

Here is one on ebay made for RV mounting: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-frame-mount-gear-reduction-spare-tire-winch-carrier_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50073QQihZ005QQitemZ150233242830QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z-71
2002 Trail Lite 8261

Posted By: LAdams on 04/08/08 09:24pm

Here's mine ... Used a surplus (E-Bay) F-150 winch assembly... In actualy practice I also have a nylon safety strap around the tire as well... Cross members are 1 1/4" perferated square steel tubing from Home Remodeling Store (Menards)... Think I paid around 25 bucks for the winch... I then fashioned a long crank arm assembly by using an extra stabilizer crank I had and welding on a longer piece of steel tubing fitted with a round steel rod ground to the proper dimensions to fit the Ford winch receptacle...

Les

2000 Ford F-250SD, XLT, 4X4 Off Road, SuperCab
w/ 6.8L (415 C.I.) V-10/3:73LS/4R100
Banks Power Pack w/Trans Command & OttoMind
Sold Trailer - not RV'ing at this point in time

HUNTER THERMOSTAT INSTALL

HOME MADE WHEEL CHOCKS

Posted By: ArnieJ-NH on 04/09/08 09:07am

The Jayco JayFeather 25F that I am purchasing has the spare tire mounted under the A-frame in front, between the gas tanks and the front of the trailer. Don't know how to get to it since I don't physically have the trailer yet. It looked okay there.

Arnie & Mary
2004 4WD Dodge Durango w/5.7L Hemi/3.55/Tow Package
Reese WDH w/Dual Cam, Prodigy Brake Controller
2008 Jayco JayFeather 25F LGT
USAF (Ret) 1962-84 B-52D/G & FB-111A
Ham - N1BAC
My Traveling Web Page

Posted By: schaf921 on 04/09/08 10:15am

Sorry guys - I may have missed it, but what is the advantage of moving the spare tire from rear bumper (besides weight and if there is an opening back there?) I ask as my TT did not come with a spare so just bought one and was about to buy one of the spare tire bumper mounts as the above two items weren't factors for me. What other things should I be concerned about?

Wife + twin 9 yr olds
2004 Fleetwood Tacoma*Sold 9/2007*
2008 Hornet Hideout 31BHS
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
Cumming, GA

Posted By: mobeewan on 04/09/08 10:56am

Spare tire carriers are fine, but some people want the bumper space for other things and mount the tires under the trailer if they have room. A friend and I made spare tire carrier from 2 x 2 sq tubing and a round mounting plate that had 3 wheel studs on it. I designed it and helped cut the steel and he welded it for me to the new bumper we installed. It was a used trailer and the original bumper had rust holes in it. My new trailer has the water heater mounted in the rear wall so I have to be able to access it and I want to also mount a hitch platform to carry other things. I also have 2 spare tires, so 2 tire carriers on the bumper is not an option for me.

Posted By: missouguy on 04/24/08 10:21am

mobeewan wrote:

Spare tire carriers are fine, but some people want the bumper space for other things and mount the tires under the trailer if they have room. A friend and I made spare tire carrier from 2 x 2 sq tubing and a round mounting plate that had 3 wheel studs on it. I designed it and helped cut the steel and he welded it for me to the new bumper we installed. It was a used trailer and the original bumper had rust holes in it. My new trailer has the water heater mounted in the rear wall so I have to be able to access it and I want to also mount a hitch platform to carry other things. I also have 2 spare tires, so 2 tire carriers on the bumper is not an option for me.

You will also find that with the under body carrier it is much more obvious when they are stealing your spare tire.

Frank

Print  |  Close