RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: New Dometic Recall Initiated March 11, 2008

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New Dometic Recall Initiated March 11, 2008

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jolooote

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/08 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I njust had mine done. All I can see thats different is they installed a large sheet metal plate in front of the burner area. Is there something else they did that might complicate troubleshooting in case the refer ever stops working? Someone mentioned some kinda in-line fuse?

Joe&Charlotte, Nat'l SurfSide DE34D Ford 362HP 5speed

Rusty, Rosie Dogs
Leroy's a Conure
If its got Tires or Boobs...U'r GONNA have trouble with it!

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/08 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They installed sheetmetal behind, under, around the right side, and in front of the burner assembly. Also put in some type of temp sensor and a wiring kit that hooks to the control board. It is supposed to shut down the fridge if the temp in the burner gets too high. I watched them doing mine the day before yesterday.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

jolooote

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/08 11:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And how does this addition complicate trouble shooting a future problem if refer stops working???

jolooote

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/08 11:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll not have another Dometic product !!!

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/08 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a note- the Dometic recall site has changed its url, it's now http://www2.dometicusa.com/recall.php (the www changed to www2).

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

timsrv

Battle Ground, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/08 12:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why doesn't this surprise me. I didn't think there was any difference between the earlier refers and these later ones........so why didn't Dometic just recall all at once? It seems to me they are playing a game. I'm a dealer and thanks to this forum I'm just now finding out about this. Dometic didn't bother to notify me about this new extension of the recall. I wonder who else they "forgot" to notify? IMO, this band-aid fix doesn't necessarily make the refer safe. Hydrogen is an active molecule and it's conceivable that fires can burn in other places like out through the stack. Tim

ssandee

BILLINGS, MT.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/08 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone replaced the cooling unit in their rv refrigerator themselves? Ours Dometic cooling unit went out and we are about to replace it with a rebuilt unit ourselves. How difficult is it?

shamon

Edmonton

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/08 02:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was not aware of this recall notice until a week after my fifth wheel was engulfed in flames and burnt down my house in the middle of the night. Investigators determined it was the fridge. I received a recall notice in the mail a week later.

timsrv

Battle Ground, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/08 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ssandee, I don't recommend you try yourself & I definitely don't recommend using a rebuilt cooling unit. The job isn't impossible but there are details to the job that can render your refer innefficient or completely useless unless performed correctly. As for the core, you might luck out and get a good rebuilt one, but it's been my experience they usually don't last very long. The longevity greatly depends on the ethics and thoroughness of the rebuilder. IMO replacing with a new cooling unit would be the better choice, however cost is almost as high as a new refer, and unless you achieve a near perfect fit, the refer efficiency will be compromised. Maybe it's time for a new Norcold?

shamon, I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune & hope nobody was injured. If you haven't already done so, I recommend you find a good lawyer. If you hire one on a contingency basis, it won't cost you a dime (initially). He will only get paid if he wins..........but will take about 1/3 of the award. Good luck. Tim

DXprowler

Aurora, ON

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/08 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a thermo coupler already but my fridge is under the recall so I guess I need the shielding but do I need another thermo coupler or is it added along with the previous one or not? Anyone know the rating of the thermo coupler? I'm in a difficult area to get this done by an authorized installer so may have to retrofit something till I can get to the dealer in the fall!

2008 F350 PSD 4x4 XLT S/Cab L/Box
2006 29RLBS Wildcat
Husky 16K w/AirBox, Line-X
Kipor 2000Ti

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New Dometic Recall Initiated March 11, 2008
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts