RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: New Dometic Recall Initiated March 11, 2008

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New Dometic Recall Initiated March 11, 2008

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
movingon99

New Port Richey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/08 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jolooote wrote:

And how does this addition complicate trouble shooting a future problem if refer stops working???

movingon99

New Port Richey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/08 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question? Had my dometic recall done last week and my question is I see the plate they installed behind door for recall but are they to remove the cover that went over the burner or leave it with the new installed cover. They removed
mine. The reason for my concern is the new cover is called the secondary cover
install. any feedback would be appreciated.

movinon99 2006 class A

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/08 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The original cover should still be there, though t will be modified a bit.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

gettinmykxs58

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/09 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I somehow missed this thread. I have one of the recalled units so I am heading to the dealer next week. My problems, which may or may not be related are:

1. Insufficient cooling
2. LP Gas detector going off

I am outraged to hear that this company has acknowledged a problem with one of their products and won't repair and/or replaced a failed cooling unit unless the fridge is under warranty. This is ridiculous and very serious. Instead of just writing here, we should all visit the NHTSA website and complain there.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

If there is a recall because there could be a failure, the recall should replace the part that could fail, not shield it so it doesn't explode on us. All units in the recall are part of the recall for a reason. Dometic knows that sooner or later the parts involved will fail.

If anyone wants to start a class action, sign me up.

Mike
I couldn't agree more with this post. My domectic went out and someone said I was out of luck regardless because my warranty had expired. Maybe Domectic would be singing a different tune regardless if a warranty was out of date if someone was killed or seriously injured. I saw another post that said I never ran my refrig on LP only electric, well I did too, on electric only and the refrig still went out regardless. So I have a useless piece of junk sitting in my coach and I am a fulltimer, and don't have $$$$ to replace it with a brand new one, but it sure does make a great storage area for extra food and stuff. As for the recall it should include everyone that is effected, regardless if they have it under warranty or not. Our lives are worth more then having your coach burn you to the ground. If its a recall regardless of a warranty it should cover anyone's refrig made by domectic regardless but that's just my own opinion. Susy

Susan, Sammy & Twosoxs, Ms. Lil and Smokey
2004 Forest River Salem 37'
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ banks stinger

* This post was edited 01/25/09 09:00pm by an administrator/moderator *

Phantom59

Southern Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/09 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read where there were fires and it may have been here where someones trailer and house burned because of a dometic defect. You are lucky if you can leave your unit in the coach some of them smell so bad they have to be removed.

gettinmykxs58

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/09 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phantom59 wrote:

I have read where there were fires and it may have been here where someones trailer and house burned because of a dometic defect. You are lucky if you can leave your unit in the coach some of them smell so bad they have to be removed.

Well on that note I guess I am lucky as I caught in the nick of time, as the smell of animonia caught my attention real quick. The cooling unit was going out, and although I lost alot of food, I called a mobile repair service, paid 60 for nothing due to the warranty being out of date but I haven't had any other problems. It doesn't have LP running in it and it's unplugged. Susan

Leftcoaster

B. C. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/09 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got a letter from my coach mfgr. that we are included in the recall. Unfortunately, we replaced the unit last Feb. after the coolant leaked out as we slept and all the food in the freezer was thawed. Cost us over $1800 to replace the fridge and Dometic said at the time" too bad, not our problem". Now, it seems I am going to have to go after them for the cost of the unit. Anyone else had any satisfaction from them in this circumstance?

Leftcoaster
28e33ts Titanium 5'r and 2005 duramax 2500hd 4x4
Been there, done that, gonna go back and do it all over again slower this time.
Everyone here brings happiness, some by coming in, others by leaving.

ourtobydog

ohio--fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/09 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

all they do is put in metal around the outsides of it and change temp thing on the chimney.dont fix the problem!!

JTMO

Novato, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/09 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is out of Warranty, it is not covered for failure. They are not fixing the root cause, the coolant leak.
As stated, they only put a patch on the problem to 'help' prevent a fire.

Cedar Creek 27LRLS 7359 dry with extensive options/7700+ loaded.
2003 Expedition 5.4 FX4 with factory Tow 3.73 Bilstein shocks. GCVWR 14500, Tow rating with no cargo 8650
Equalizer Hitch, Prodigy, Barker Electric jack. Coachnet ERS
Rallies=14
My travel albums

Elvis-N-Amy in Texas

Georgetown texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/09 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would someone post the part number for the older and lower amperage AC heater? I will be scheduling my recall visit and I understand the later higher amperage heater may contribute to the coil failure.
I have a Dometic RM 2652.

Thank in advance
Elvis

03 GMC Sierra 2500HD
00 Fleetwood Prowler 2478C
05 R-Vision TrailBay 29RL
93 Toyota 4WD The "SandFlea"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New Dometic Recall Initiated March 11, 2008