RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Coast to Coast and RPI- HELP!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Coast to Coast and RPI- HELP!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
BILLS1

NORTH CANTON OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/00 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking at getting a membership at Fort John Riverfront Resort in Oklahoma. The main reason whould be to get into Coast to Coast and RPI. I live in Ohio and for the next several years will only by using the system for weekends and vacations. There appear to be several resorts in Ohio and the attached states. I need to know if these private campgrounds are really worth it or am I better off just looking for nice campgrounds in the various Directories. I know you pay more at public campgrounds and the $5 and $6 rates thru Coast to Coast and RPI sure sounds good, but are they generally speaking, nice campgrounds.
Also, Fort John is offering the Deluxe Coast to Coast and the AOR programs. They much more to initially sign onto and are they worth it.
Please respond ASAP.

*This Message was edited on 27-Dec-00 08:22 AM by BILLS1*

'03 Winnebago Adventurer 35U/Ford chassis, '00 Saturn LS tagging along

j-v-wands

Apache Jct, Az USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/00 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sit down and figure out about how many days you will be using them and how much you save Personally it is my believe that you have to use it six months out of the year to come out. Also in the Motorhome Magazine, there are always some for sale by private parties and you can save some bucks. The cheapest ones are the ones that have a home park in a not so desirable location. We live in Ariz and there are some people who change parks every two weeks but stay in the area all winter.

Bea PA

Waynesboro, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/00 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't belong to c2c as we have RPI thru our Thousand Trails membership. Some RPI parks are nice overnight places and others are beautiful resorts. We feel we get our $69 a year out of RPI. We always stay a week at Clerbrook Resort in FL and this summer spent a week at a beautiful resort in Guintersville AL. We also spent a week in Branson at Fall Creek Resort, all this for $5 a night A lot of the campgrounds are RPI and c2c. If you are joining Fort John for your no yearly maintainence fee and are only staying a week at a time, you probably don't need to pay a c2c yearly dues and the RPI dues as most of the parks are both. Happy Trails B.

*This Message was edited on 29-Dec-00 02:23 PM by Bea PA*

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/00 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been members of C2C and RPI for several years thru our membership in Ft.John. We have camped almost exclusivly at membership campgrounds and have rarely been disappointed. There are some duplications between C2C and RPI and when that happens, we use the RPI. Some of the parks are great for overnight stops and don't have too many amenities, but most have been very nice resort type parks, with friendly people and just about any kind of facility (pools, rec rooms, full hook-ups, horse riding, restrauants, gas station etc. ) that you could want. All for $5.00 - $6.00 per night. It doesn't take long to make up the cost of the membership fee. We are not full timers, just travel during the summer and have been very happy with our membership. Good luck.

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

Traveler

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/00 01:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As pointed out, first consider your rate of use. Will the membership be used often enough to provide a reasonable payback over what you'd pay for staying at commercial campgrounds.

We've been Thousand Trails/NACO members for 16-years, and have been RPI members since it's inception. We have also been CCC members for 10-years thru a separate membership campground. And, we also have an ROD (Resorts of Distinction) membership thru yet another membership campground. So...we do have a bit of experience with this subject.

Things to consider:
1. Membership Cost: Shop around and select a membership campground that is well maintained and also offers CCC and/or RPI memberships. Some memberships are VERY expensive and don't offer anything of consequence more than one of the less costly campgrounds. Don't be shy about checking financial status as you'd probably prefer for them to still be in business next year. A campground that comes to mind that offers all three types of extended memberships (CCC/RPI/ROD) is: Hidden Valley Resort, 844-B E. Hwy 66, Tijeras, NM 87059 - (505)281-3363 -- We are not members or related to them in any way, but have stayed there on several occasions over the years as RPI & ROD members. We were last there during early November of 2000 & their membership rates were VERY attractive, as is their campground.
2. Be aware of the 125-mile rule with CCC & RPI. You can't use your CCC or RPI membership at associated campgrounds that fall within a radius of 125-miles from your home park.
3. I was asked which of the three (CCC/RPI/ROD) I'd select if purchasing a campground membership today. My response, CCC. CCC and RPI are comparable & have a campground overlap of about 70%; however, CCC does have the greatest number, plus an extensive stable of Good Neighbor Parks that allow CCC members to camp for $11. per night ($10. across the counter + a $1. "blue card" from CCC). ROD has potential, but is still new & has only about 100 campgrounds in it's stable, all of which are first class.
4. First, get a Good Sam Club membership. As a Good Sam Club Life Member with a four digit membership number (since it started) I can assure you that it is worthwhile. Many campgrounds, propane suppliers, parts & service centers offer a 10% discount to Good Sam members. It doesn't take much camping to pay back on that investment.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide to do. Perhaps we'll see you down the road.

Traveler
2000 Ford F-250 Power Stroke Diesel with 6-speed manual & 3.73 rear end.
2000 29' Alpenlite Valhalla RK 5th wheel.

BILLS1

NORTH CANTON OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/01 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bsmith0337,
Thanks for your reply. You mention that whenever there is an overlap of ccc and RPI that you use
RPI. Why is that?. I could probably look thru the literature provided by RPI for the answer but it is easier to ask you!.
Also, to the others that responded, thank you.
I looked at it this way, if I camp an average of 42 nights a year (which would be about 2 weeks vacation and the remainder being weekend stays) at an average of $25 p/night for full hookup, it will cost about $1050. p/yr. The package offered by Ft. John which included Deluxe Coast to Coast,
RPI, and some camping cards for both types was
$1500. My thought was that the membership pays for itself in about one and half yrs, and then future years would have a savings of about $700
p/yr since I only will have the membership fees to CCC and RPI to pay then. So I went ahead and
got the membership. I am using Ft. John for the 125 mile thing, since I dont plan on being in that area all that much and when I am, I will stay at the "home park". Any comments?
Again. thanks for the input

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/01 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bills1,
The reason I said we use the RPI when a campground is affiliated with both is because we don't have to use up a camping card that way and the cost is $5.00 instead of $6.00. Just easier to pay and not have to fill out and use up a card. Either way, you still get treated the same and get the same benefits, which has been, in our experience, very pleasant. Happy camping!

Rmort

Lake Tahoe,CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/01 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't buy a membership that usually run's into thousands of dollars. Buy a resale for $99 and $99 a year dues and gives you coast-to-coast and RPI. I found out the hard way when my original park went belly-up. You can't hardly give a membership away if you decide not to use it. Also, reservations may be hard to come by during peak camping seasons since c to c and RPI campgrounds only allocate a few camp spaces for non-members..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Coast to Coast and RPI- HELP!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS