RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 454  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is only 1,ooo GBP lower than a Prius. 117 mpge is only 10% better than EV.
Might work well, I hope it does.

Maybe air/electric would also work rather than air/gasoline as designed. Going to be lots of exciting new stuff in the future.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

LindsayRichards

Tavares, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Maybe air/electric would also work rather than air/gasoline as designed.

Air and electric are both methods to store energy for later release. You have to have a way to produce energy or you are tethered to a source. Neat thing about the air is it fills up in a minute as opposed to a long charge on electricity.

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gasoline prices continue to shoot up. $3.19 to $3.35 per gallon. In the last 4 weeks prices have shot up from $2.89. Guess we weren't paying enough. Diesel still remains around $3.90 to $4.09. Oil is at $96.09 this morning. It's tough to plan ahead except to plan for $4.00 a gallon and be happy if it is less.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SRT wrote:

Gasoline prices continue to shoot up. $3.19 to $3.35 per gallon. In the last 4 weeks prices have shot up from $2.89. Guess we weren't paying enough. Diesel still remains around $3.90 to $4.09. Oil is at $96.09 this morning. It's tough to plan ahead except to plan for $4.00 a gallon and be happy if it is less.

Very same jump here too. Wondered if it was to the cold FEB forecast perhaps?

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LindsayRichards wrote:

Neat thing about the air is it fills up in a minute as opposed to a long charge on electricity.

The onboard compressor fills the air tank in one minute.... and how far does that go?

From an external source I could see quick fill and long range but it would appear the air/gas car really only runs on gasoline. Possibly an electric powered compressor could fill the air tank but what is the real range on the charge of air?

While air/gas appears to save significantly I still like the idea of the EV that runs on NG, nukes, solar or any other domestic energy source.

LindsayRichards

Tavares, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The onboard tanks are filled up in one minutes from a compressed air tank either at home or a filling station. The experience is kind of like getting gas now at a gas station. The same is true for CNG. The tanks weigh about 10% as much as a battery and are not made with rare earth dirty materials. Air rushes in real quickly as opposed to electricity which can take hours. If you have a home compressor, it might take an hour or so to fill up your home supply tank, but then only a minute to transfer it over. I believe it will go about like the GM Amp, about 25 to 40 miles. Remember you keep adding air pressure from slowing down and from the engine. This form of energy storage is much quicker than electricity. The onboard air compression uses the engine when it is not running on gas (or diesel)and I don't believe their is an actual air compressor. Watch the video as it has the best answer to some of those questions. NG, coal, and nuclear is truly domestic where as solar is less that one % of the total domestic and is made from foreign (China) equipment. When we were in Amish county, they used compressed air for all sorts of machinery in furniture factors and other facilities as a replacement for electricity. Even saw overhead ceiling fans run on compressed air instead of electricity.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"he onboard tanks are filled up in one minutes from a compressed air tank either at home or a filling station."
This would have to be the mother of all air compressors and would likely cost the "gas" station plenty to install.
Even after watching the French "concept" air is one of the worst forms of stored energy. This is going to be a wait and see thing. If they do it great more green!

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2015 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
Lifes short enough without bitch'n about it!

LindsayRichards

Tavares, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You seemed to have misunderstood the concept. The one minute is to transfer the compressed air from one tank to another as I indicated. Compressing the air would be done on a slower basis for the home unit or service station unit. (I indicated an hour or so). The size and cost of the air compressor depends on how often you want to refill a vehicle. This compares very favorably to the hours required for fully recharging an EV. I think it is also safe to say that the cost of the air generation system would be cheaper than an EV battery charging system. This air hybrid is being developed by one of the largest and most technological auto companies in the world.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"This air hybrid is being developed by one of the largest and most technological auto companies in the world." Y
Yes this is true but the name of the company that will do it is GM.
GM has taken the car along side of several others of the French and will develop and build it. What GM wants GM gets!

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like $3.35 is current price for gasoline. Wonder how long that price will last. Oil prices are still hanging around $96.xx. If the FED Chairman prints more money, the price would probably go up some more.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 454  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS