|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Your Fuel/Oil comments - please post here

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 99  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Fezziwig

SF bay

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/12 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course the reason XL runs to an export port is so that it can be shipped to China and India, each of whom is a bigger consumer of oil than the USA. The USA uses about 20% of all oil drilled everywhere, and China and India are each about 25-30%. Thus, China/India are the PREFERRED customers of the oil companies. So the XL will be for their convenience. That's why it goes to a port town.

Shale oil is much more expensive to refine than regular crude oil, but China and India are willing to pay the price.

Also, the XL will only make about 500-1400 jobs according to the Cornell University study, which is the only independent and OPEN study done on the impact of XL. That 20,000 job number is just an unsubstantiated publicity number invented by the XL proponents. Go look at the Cornell study (I have the URL here someplace, if anyones interested).

XL is a big boondoggle to put money in the pockets of the foreign owners of oil companies (60% foreign owned) at the expense of USA landowners and taxpayers. None of the oil will go toward your gas pump.

LindsayRichards

Tavares, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/12 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look, the moderator asked that you not continue to post this incorrect political material. What you have posted is incorrect and you will not goat me into refuting it point by point. Just give it a break and post this in a political environmental forum. I am sure you know where they are.

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/12 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Soooo, I'm wondering how they are going to justify the $4.50 per gallon prices that AAA is predicting for the summer? Or will they even try?

I thought $4.00 was bad enough. The prices have been going down all winter, here in Denver at least. Not that $3.00 a gallon is cheap by my income standards anyway.

So now they are talking about $4.50? That will take $250 to fill my tank on the MH. I want somebody's head over that. I find that kind of thievery, Treasonous.

And don't try to tell me that the 'Cost of Production' is going to go up by what? 50%? or more to justify an increase of that magnitude.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

LindsayRichards

Tavares, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/12 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason for the summer increase is that we are planning a trip from Florida up to Newfoundland. Happens every time we plan a long trip. Sorry.

LindsayRichards

Tavares, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/12 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were doing our FL to Washington state last time the price got up to $4.00. We plan on traveling shorter distances and staying longer in a place.

nmnighthawk

Dexter, N.M.

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read the debate about what is better gas or diesel. I own a 2006 Chevy Silverado with a 6.6 liter duramax. We have a 35 foot Laredo 5th wheel and pulling it, we get anywhere between 10.4 to 11.1 mpg depending on if we run in mountains or not. Per capita, you get better fuel mileage with a diesel than gas. Diesel engines are built to pull heavier loads than gas.The only thing that upsets me is that diesel fuel is a BY-PRODUCT of gas and it costs anywhere from 50-80 cents more than gas.I wish someone would investigate as to why that is.

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nmnighthawk wrote:

I read the debate about what is better gas or diesel. I own a 2006 Chevy Silverado with a 6.6 liter duramax. We have a 35 foot Laredo 5th wheel and pulling it, we get anywhere between 10.4 to 11.1 mpg depending on if we run in mountains or not. Per capita, you get better fuel mileage with a diesel than gas. Diesel engines are built to pull heavier loads than gas.The only thing that upsets me is that diesel fuel is a BY-PRODUCT of gas and it costs anywhere from 50-80 cents more than gas.I wish someone would investigate as to why that is.

Can't disagree. Here in Dever it's an extra seventy cents a gallon. Made me think twice about getting a diesel. Fuel and the added costs of maintenance, I was unable to demonstrate a 'Need' for it. I went with gas.

BrandonR

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nmnighthawk wrote:

No investigation needed, that's old thinking. In modern refineries they use a process called cracking (Wikipedia) to break longer chains in to shorter chains. If they want to they can produce almost no diesel at all. Gasoline is more profitable to produce. Since Diesel contains about 30% more fuel value per gallon it should actually cost about 30% more but due to outside pressures they cannot get away with that premium so you're actually getting a subsidized price at only 50-80 cents over gasoline.

Brandon Reed
Albany, OR

Irover

Where ever the Good Lord Wills

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And everyone wonders why I replace my toad with a 100+ MPG MOPED!
As far as the Pipeline, just like the Alaska pipleine in the 1970's, instead of oil being sold to Far East countries. This one will bring the oil to China. Ya Know! Its' time to pay the Piper back his borrowed Money. US citizens do not have to like it, We just have to live with it, because the greedy profiteers would not develop the alternative energies back in the 1970's. We can all buy that $40,000 Nissan Leaf! Yah; Right. Remember the $1,995.00 Pinto, and Vega we thought was to expensive!

Sue Bee

NW suburbs of Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled into a gas station, driving my car, but I pulled into the end pump, which is also where this particular location has their diesel pump. I noticed that the sticker on the diesel pump said "ULSD BIODIESEL", which was not advertised on the sign at the drive (it just said diesel, not bio-diesel). This was at a large, multi-national gas company station, not a one off indy.

Now, I don't really know all that much about using biodiesel, but I don't know that I would want to use it in my tow vehicle, and I would be pretty unhappy if I had pulled my truck loaded with camper in, only to find out that it wasn't dino-diesel.

Am I just uninformed? Or would this be a matter of concern for others.

ETA- I pulled into the same gas station this morning and looked at the diesel pumps again, and there is a long disclaimer at the bottom of the pump that says that it is a biodiesel blend which contains more than 5% biodiesel, and that it may not meet manufacturer requirements, and that using it could void your warranty.

So, I answered my own question, I would not use it in my truck, but I would be mighty unhappy if I had pulled into the station to fill up, only to discover that the diesel was something other than standard diesel.

* This post was edited 03/01/12 05:50am by Sue Bee *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 99  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Your Fuel/Oil comments - please post here
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS