RV.Net Open Roads Forum: GMC/Outfitter trip to Strip Country, part 2.(With pictures)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> GMC/Outfitter trip to Strip Country, part 2.(With pictures)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you missed part 1, it's around somewhere, and some things don't make sense without it...Well pickin up where I think I was, oh yeah, the second round of donuts. How could I forget because now I'm looking like a Scout leader from the 70's and those relaxed fit bush shorts that were down to my knees are now tight on the middle of my quads and I have a very serious wedgie. More hiking is necessary.

I've read about some pictographs on the south side of Coral Pink Sand Dunes and we're headed there. Haven't done any real sand driving with the TC yet, have to check it out.

[image]

And as usual for the Whazoo I've gotten us into another fine mess. On a very sandy road, yes I've dropped pressure to 30 lbs., it's uphill and the juniper trees are closing in. There is absolutely no turn around and the very loud sounds of raw branches on fiberglass once again have my poor wife's face in her hands. I too am about to cry. It sounds like Freddy Krueger going down the side of my camper with those blades of his, kind of like "Nightmare on Juniper Street." This is where I give the area a name...I call it "Camperweep." I feel it to be fitting.(Camperweep, like Toroweap, Nampaweap and Parunuweap, to mention a few weaps in the area.) Finally there is a spot almost big enough to turn around if I take out a couple of trees in the process. Well ok they were just saplings. Would you believe weeds? But at least we're able to turn around without getting stuck and head back downhill. Same trees eating my camper as we go. Now I'm trying to remember the thread on rvnet about buffing out fiberglass LOL. More donuts are in order. (And a rum & coke, double please)

Thank God for a nice campground at the Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park as I now have my head hanging low. Whazoo is not used to giving up or backing down, and I don't like vehicle damage. I'm thinking to tow a jeep back here someday and teach that road who's boss.

It did rain all night which gives the sand even more color than usual. And now the wind is blowing quite hard as well.
[image]

Even Mrs. Whazoo is feeling better after a good morning shower at the state park.
[image]

And for those of you folks in other states here is a picture of the "living" dirt found in the southwest called cryptobiotic soil. "Crypto" for short. These larger mounds of living organisms can be hundreds of years old. It is now a crime to walk on them, lock me up please for crimes committed when I was a yonker. Who knew?!
[image]

Leaving Coral Pink now and headed for The Grand Staricase. What a trip! Back through Kanab we now feel like locals. You need a free permit to camp on the Staircase and we get one for 2 nights, not knowing for sure where we'll be. Having entered the Grand Staricase from every major road I have to say I like going up Johnson's Valley to Skutumpah Road, the Staircase unfolding before you as you drive past the first white cliffs. and following to Bull Valley Gorge, a superb slot canyon. BTW, I have some rentals for sale in the area. Comes with a view and may need some slight cosmetic repairs.
[image]

View from Skutumpah Road of cliffs that form the backside of Bryce Canyon.
[image]

Bull Valley Gorge is a real treat for canyoneers, Whazoos too.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The power of water in a small space makes me wish to have a snorkel and mask, or a surfboard.
[image]

From Bull Valley it's a short jump over to Willis Creek, my favorite slot canyon in the Staircase area, it has a year round stream running through it. Here are some shots of camping at the trailhead and the canyon itself.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I am now feeling like the Eveready Rabbit as our trip goes on and on and...

After spending the night at Willis Creek we head for Kodachrome Basin and a hike. This is where Skutumpah Road hits the paved road to Kodachrome and does indeed give you a Kodak moment. The water you see is the Paria River that flows to the Colorado River at Lees Ferry.
[image]

The actual Basin itself is small and the State Park Campgrounds does not handle a lot of people. In fact it was full at the time but we hadn't planned on staying there anyway. Just a few pix were taken...
[image]

[image]

Leaving Kodachrome we're now on the Cottonwood Wash Road. Here are 2 pix, one looking back at Kodachrome. Don't let the good looks of this road fool you, one spit of rain and you are flat (I don't like that word now) out of luck on traction and steering. Yet it has the most colors and change of scenery of any road in the Staircase.
[image]

[image]

Then there's the Grosvenor Arch, another Kodak moment you'll not want to miss.
[image]

On down that winding road is Cottonwood Canyon Narrows, not quite a slot canyon but well worth the walk.
[image]

[image]

[image]

Phew doggies, finally we're back on pavement towards Lake Powell and no shakes and rattles that weren't there before. Except the ones behind the eyeballs. About 300 miles of dirt roads this trip makes me wonder if anti-grav trucks will be coming out soon. But where would be the fun in that??

So anyway we're thinking to spend the last night at Lone Rock Beach on Lake Powell. The only place on the entire lake to be able to pull up a camper or motorhome. In the summer it is water to bluffs full of people. We like it in the winter but haven't been here in over 10 years, and there is now a fee. The Ranger will not accept my Good Guy Discount card and we dish out $25 to camp on the sand that was once free. Little did I know how much that would be worth it.

It's early enough in the day to take a fantastic dip and have some dip too. Beer,salsa and chips on the beach with wonderful picture taking weather. Key word "picture taking weather." A day made for Mr. & Mrs. Whazoo. The morning was also to die for, and I feel that digital photography was invented just for me.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

It was another trip of a lifetime for the Whazoos. I don't know how many lifetimes I have left, but when I go I want to be buried like the Pharoahs of Egypt, with my GMC and Outfitter camper.

Thanks for reading...
Dave Rogers
[image]

PS. You will absolutely NOT believe this one. Getting up the next morning to clean up from the trip, what did I spy with my little eye? Yessiree...another flat!!! Ends up I cracked a wheel. Go figure. Guess you could say after this trip I was just..."flat tired." (flat tires from part 1)
[image]

And if you haven't seen enough pix go here
Click on pic and then upper right for full size option

* This post was last edited 05/21/08 10:33pm by whazoo *   View edit history

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW !!!!!! [emoticon]

FarcticOx

Run Silent, Run Deep
BLOG
2003 F350 Diesel DRW.
2005 Arctic Fox B1150 solar powered dry camper.
220 Watts Solar, 2 300AH 6 volt AGMs, Yamaha EF1000iS Generator

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/08 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave - you are going to have to stop taking trips. You're putting everyone else to shame.
(don't really stop)

Cal

PS - changing to 3500 steel wheels might be a good idea for you. (if you hadn't just bought a bunch of new tires.

Cal

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cewillis wrote:

Dave - you are going to have to stop taking trips. You're putting everyone else to shame.
(don't really stop)

Cal

PS - changing to 3500 steel wheels might be a good idea for you. (if you hadn't just bought a bunch of new tires.

Hey Cal, did you notice that creek was named after you, Willis Creek? And I certainly don't want to put anyone to shame. I'd like to read more trip reports to see some different scenery and come up with other places to go. And steel wheels are definitely a good idea. Don't know what I was thinking at the time other than weight.

* This post was edited 05/21/08 10:55pm by whazoo *

FishPOET

La Habra, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic pictures and trip report. Thanks for sharing.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uh-oh! Even before you posted I was planning a similar trip for next year same time. But that last photo...are those aluminum wheels (like my Tiger's)? Hmmm...might be worth it. Thanks for sharing your usual fantastic photos and narrative.

CptnBG

Salem and Smith Mtn Lake, Va

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the pics and narrative. Felt like I was there.

'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, what a trip indeed...last day on the sand was a nice way to end. Thanks for posting all the great pics Dave!! Tell Mrs. wahzoo we said hello [emoticon]

Ben

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whazoo,

Excellent commentary and excellent pics. Thanks.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/08 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MASTER![emoticon]

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!

A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> GMC/Outfitter trip to Strip Country, part 2.(With pictures)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS