RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: Can a RAV4 V6 tow a popup?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Can a RAV4 V6 tow a popup?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
JungleJim

North Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/08 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was going to be the summer we purchased a new vehicle so we could purchase/tow a popup. The vehicle was going to be a 2008 4Runner V6 and the popup was to be a Fleetwood Utah.

These gasoline prices have me second guessing my decision. I've been thinking maybe I should get a higher mpg vehicle and a smaller popup.
The RAV4 V6 seems to get decent mpg with a tow rating of 3500 lbs (and that's with over 1000 lbs of people and cargo).
Does anyone have experience (or know anyone with experience) towing with a V6 RAV4? I was thinking maybe a Cheyenne with a V6 RAV4?

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/08 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tow ratings are established by manufacturers to determine what effect towing a given weight will have on them honoring their warranty. Certainly it CAN tow a pop up but whether it SHOULD tow any PARTICULAR pop up trailer would depend on the weight rating set by Honda for the vehicle. Best place for information is your Honda dealer.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/08 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While the Rav will have sufficient power to pull the camper in question; it's short (98") wheelbase and the Cheyenne's WAY TO LOW tongue weight should require at least a friction sway control before even towing it home from the dealer.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

Hornet28BHDS

Parker, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/08 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Tow ratings are established by manufacturers to determine what effect towing a given weight will have on them honoring their warranty. Certainly it CAN tow a pop up but whether it SHOULD tow any PARTICULAR pop up trailer would depend on the weight rating set by Honda for the vehicle. Best place for information is your Honda dealer.

The RAV4 is a Toyota vehicle.

I think that a V6 RAV4 would be a great PUP puller. It would pull a decent sized PUP, like the Cheyenne you mentioned, and still give you good MPG's when not towing.

Also, the Cheyenne is a great PUP. We had one for 4 years and loved it! My aunt and uncle bought a Cheyenne brand new in '96 and now have handed it down to my cousin. 12 years and that PUP is going strong! Good luck!

2006 Hornet 28BHDS-Bunk House, Dual Slides

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
5.7L Hemi, Factory Towing Package
Reese Brake Controller, WD Hitch and Sway Bar

Life is short, why not spend it in an RV!

SPRING HAS SPRUNG!

sayby1campers

Rock Hill,SC

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/08 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 08 RAV4 is more than enough vehicle for a pup! Is the V6 RAV4 really a measurable difference from the V6 4 runner? You can find them used for a song over the inflated V6 RAV4! Either way you'll be fine! Make sure you set up the vehicle properly though!

DW, DD(10y/o) and CoCo our Sharpei(wrinkle dog)

Dirtfan

SE MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/08 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 99 ford ranger with a 4 liter, I tow a 8ft coleman popup, this weighs less than 1000 lbs and I have no problem with it, my gas mileage gets better when I tow the popup, I accelerate slower and don't drive as fast as I do without it, the Rav 4 is a small vehicle so I would be leary about towing anything with it

PopUpTom

West Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/08 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RAV4 should be a capable vehicle. Sorry, no first or second hand info, just a lot of shopping as I was looking for the next TV too. The wheelbase is listed as 105 inches, comparable to the Honda 08 Pilot at 106. It does have the lowest curb weight of the small SUV's I've researched which results in better city milage and better acceleration than most others. One con I have for the RAV4 is the rear door instead of a hatch. The 19/27 MPG rating distances it from the rest of the pack.

2009 will see a new Toyota Venza "wagon" based on the Camry, and maybe even Honda will bring their Accord wagon over here for late 2009. Either of those two with V6's and 3500lb tow ratings should get close to 30mpg highway. Hey, remember the unpopular Subaru 4-door truck? It's popularity is about to change.

I have a Sun Valley. I chose it over the Cheyenne as I wanted inside storage vs. the front storage. The Sun Valley also has the most folded down floor storage of any Fleetwood PUP. Same trailer length, larger awning, more countertop space, etc. It's $400 more than a Cheyenne. Just something to consider.

Plan on a WD kit for the hitch (as well as sway control with the Cheyenne) as the Rav4 rear end is going to sag when the camper is fully loaded and it makes a big difference in ride and handling as well.

2001 V6 Highlander, 2002 Coleman Sun Valley, Single Bar WD, Tranny Temp Gage, Prodigy Brake Control (update 2010: we've moved outside of Memphis, the PUP has a new home, and we're pondering (2014: still pondering) a larger TV and a hardside)

JungleJim

North Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/08 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for most of the replies thus far (except the one telling me to check with Honda...?????? )

The RAV4 is much less vehicle than the 4Runner.....The 4Runner is a full frame.

The suggestion of a WDH for the RAV4...I'm not sure if it accepts one. Not all unibody vehicles accept WDH.
I sure wish I could communicate with someone who has actually towed with one, especially since it's been out for a couple of years (the newer V6 version.)

Again, thank you for the input.

camsa5

Too young to be a

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/08 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rav4 6 banger with tow package = 3500lbs tow rating
Cheyenne GVWR = 3000lbs

I'd say you should be OK. You may need a WDH and sway control but that's doable with fleetwoods. Good Luck.

- 2013 Skyline Layton Joey 310 - (six bunks,3 slides)
- 2007 Coachmen Clipper 1272ST - (Pop-Up)

Brocktoon

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/08 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been pulling a Fleetwood Cobalt with a Land Rover Freelander for years, and have never had a problem. The Freelander has way less power, similar wheelbase 101", and my trailer has such a light tongue weight I can lift it with one arm.

I have, however moved up to a Mercedes GL Diesel, but have not towed with it yet. Main reason I moved up was for additional space inside the Tow Vehicle, my previous rig towed like a dream, and I thought, very well matched.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Can a RAV4 V6 tow a popup?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS