RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Gel coat repair?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Gel coat repair?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
imitchel

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/08 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

Two nights we were vandalized. It was disgusting what these
creeps did. They gathered all the garbage sitting in the bins
and spread it out over the whole back alley. They also smashed
in some vehicles. My fifth wheel was parked in my back yard and
suffered a couple of punctures in the gel coat. I was absolutely
sick about it!
Has anyone had repairs done on the gel coat? Does it show very
much after? The punctures are the size of quarters going in about
1/4 inch.

Sadly,
Isy

Sandy & Shirley

North East, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/08 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a small spot on our gel coat where a stone or something flew up and hit the front cap. We made a similiar post on our Everest Forum and got this web link in reply.

Gel Coat Repair Kit

We have not tried this yet, so have no experience. We plan to buy one of these kits on line and see how it works.

Our problem is a chip in the gel coat, not a crack that is running and getting bigger, so I think the patch kit might work.

Best of luck with your problems.

We'll probably go to the local marine store before we buy on line to avoid shipping costs.

'02 F350 7.3PSD CC LB DRW, Reese 20K Hitch, Brake Smart, AirLift, C-betr mirrors,
'04 Everest 343L, TrailAir, RotoChoks, Wayne's stabilizer
Toys: Fold-Away Pet Carrier, Thermos Grill 2 GO
For more info, visit Our RV web site.

shooters

Southern Calif

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/08 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having dealt with gel goat issues with several boats, I would suggest having a professional make the repairs. There is some technical detail and not all that easy if you've never done it before. Depending on the size of the damaged area, it can be pricey. They actually make the damaged area larger to make the repairs. If you want it fixed right, hire a pro. My .02

Sandy & Shirley

North East, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/08 04:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We asked our dealer about fixing the chip in our front cap. Its a little smaller then a dime and they estimated about $600 to fix it.

Since as stated before, they have to makethe chip bigger before they fill it, we figured that the worse we could do is make it a little more difficult for them to enlarge the area. We feel fairly handy, so why not risk it. If we do a good enough job, the repair is less than $30. If I mess it up, we waste $30 and a little time.

ChainReaction

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/08 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most good body shops can do the repair and touch up the paint in their yard for around $3-400. Shouldn't be detectable after.

shooters

Southern Calif

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/08 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandy & Shirley wrote:

We asked our dealer about fixing the chip in our front cap. Its a little smaller then a dime and they estimated about $600 to fix it.

Since as stated before, they have to makethe chip bigger before they fill it, we figured that the worse we could do is make it a little more difficult for them to enlarge the area. We feel fairly handy, so why not risk it. If we do a good enough job, the repair is less than $30. If I mess it up, we waste $30 and a little time.

Well if you "mess it up" it's going to cost you a lot more then 30.00. If you consider the cost of the patch/repair kit and your time, then having it fixed the right way anyway, it will be more costly. I think 600.00 is a little bit high, but as I said before it can be very expensive. There are folks that specialize in fiberglass repair that are mobile; coming out to your residence or place of business. I'm not sure how large of an area your referring to, but if it's bigger than say, the size of a dime, it'll be bucks to fix. Do you homework and dig up anything you can find on doing the repair yourself. If you don't use the hardners correctly and sand it right, you may have casued more damage, or it may crack later on. I'm all for doing things yourself, just be well informed before you do this.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

luvlabs

Wherever we are parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/08 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quarter sized holes should be easy to fix yourselves. Using a gel coat repair kit isn't really much different than using wall compound to patch holes in your wall.

You'll need to prep the area (remove all of the chipped gel coat and clean the area with acetone) before you mix up the resin, pigment, and hardener. You can use a piece wax paper over the repair to get it smooth as the original finish.

I've repaired a couple of dings in mine (including a complex compound curve area) with good success. However, bigger repairs should be left to the experts.

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Gel coat repair?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS