Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Are LP tanks considered hazmat?

Posted By: olliedog18004 on 07/07/08 06:28pm

I've seen several posts on this forum that indicate that you can't take your propane through some of the east coast tunnels. My question is can I take my RV on roads that don't specifically restrict propane but do restrict hazmat or hazardous cargo? Today I drove through Cleveland and by the time I started worrying I shoudn't be on the road, it was too late. But I'm returning later this summer through the same route and am going through Chicago tomorrow, so I'd like to know if I need to avoid all hazmat restricted roads?

Thanks for you help!

Posted By: broncoboy on 07/07/08 06:32pm

I dont think you have anything to worry about.your not transporting in trade or comrence (ie your not under dot law.)

Posted By: cm on 07/07/08 07:14pm

The east coast seems to be the area that has any restrictions.

In Colorado on I-70 west of Denver there are two sets of tunnels. The shorter ones at Idaho Springs and the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnels at the Continental Divide. The Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnels are over one mile long.

There are no restrictions for RVs. No restrictions that the valves must be closed. The commercial hazmat trucks have to use Loveland Pass instead of the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnels.

So you would have to check on the local area.

Posted By: joanne0012 on 07/08/08 01:07pm

Yes they are, in Massachusetts. I wrote to the State Highway Department specifically about the tunnel through Boston that's part of Route 93:

"I have an RV with a permanently installed propane tank (for the stove, furnace) that holds about 10 gals of propane. Am I allowed to drive through Route 93 tunnels, specifically the Tip O'Neill (Big Dig) tunnel?"

They replied:

"The O'Neill Tunnel is under the jurisdiction of the Massachusetts
Turnpike. The tunnels are signed prohibiting hazardous cargos from being
transported through them. Propane is classified as a hazardous cargo and
is therefore prohibited from the tunnel.
I have spoken with the State
Police and confirmed that there is no exemption provided for the size of
tank that would be mounted on your RV unit.
If you have any questions
please contact the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority at
www.masspike.com/contactus/index.html or the Massachusetts State police
at 978 369-1005."

Similar rules apply to the Route 95 tunnel through Baltimore.

Joanne

Posted By: chenevert on 07/08/08 12:54pm

On the road, the quantity of propane carried in an RV is insufficient for the vehicle to be considered hazmat. As pointed out below, the are exceptions for tunnels. Two exceptions I have personal experience with are
I64 tunnel near Norfolk VA. Before entering the tunnel, you MUST stop at an inspection station, and an attendant will ask you if you shut your propane tanks off

I 95 tunnels through Baltimore - Signs indicate you MUST use the 695 which is a ring road around Baltimore. It goes over the water rather than through a tunnel.

As we all know, propane is heavier than air, and therefore could potentially accumulate at the lowest point in the tunnel.

06 Ford F-350 diesel (LWB, S/C, SRW)
06 Grand Junction 35TMS (40ft)

Posted By: Polishnurse on 07/07/08 06:37pm

All the areas you can't go will be clearly marked, and well spelled out. Like no more then 20Lbs of propane, all propane tanks must be closed before entering and your right about the east coast being the most restrictive. But livable. Bill

Posted By: sfischer on 06/14/09 06:53pm

Chenevert, don't forget the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel stretching from VA Beach to the Eastern Shore. Propane must also be turned off when traveling that route.

GoneByRV Travel Blog
Currently:
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH Powerglide Chassis
Current Toad: 2012 Honda Fit Sport, M/T
Prior:
2004 Arctic Fox 29 5-E 5er
1994 Chev 2500HD, 7.4L, 4.10
1994 Jayco 3250RLR 5er
1992 Terry 27' TT
1991 Terry 19' TT

Posted By: BarbaraOK on 06/14/09 07:32pm

Don't forget ferries. Most require you to shut the main valve before boarding.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Traveling catpanion Shadow (age 17)
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS)
Mischief
(2004 Subaru Forester Toad)
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

Posted By: beekay on 06/14/09 06:45pm

I have chewed on this much, and since we mention the Tip Oneil Tunnel here in Boston, I thought I would chime in.

Hazmat is prohibited in the tunnel, and it is clearly marked. Our RV's are not placarded to carry hazmat, so we do not apply. what that officer was trying to do was so painfully basic of an assumption, it was painful "propane is on the list, so you can't take any propane..." Gasoline is on the list, but every car in the tunnel with you has a tank full of the stuff!

I just drove through the Tip Oneil Friday rush hour, and back this afternoon; passing 2 cruisers waiving traffic around a fender bender in the tunnel.

If they were worried here, they would make it more clear, like what we heard in some of the other areas.

bk

Posted By: joanne0012 on 06/15/09 05:45pm

beekay wrote:

... what that officer was trying to do was so painfully basic of an assumption, it was painful "propane is on the list, so you can't take any propane..." Gasoline is on the list, but every car in the tunnel with you has a tank full of the stuff!...

Why don't call up the Staties and chat about this? He said he had discussed propane volume with them specifically, and gave a phone number. It would save a lot of people a lot of trouble (or risk) if we could get an official reversal.

Posted By: yardmaster on 07/08/08 04:42pm

The Baltimore Regs
:

Quote:

Class 2, division 2.1 flammable gas is prohibited, with exceptions for propane, LPG, CNG, LNG, and other flammable compressed gas in U.S.D.O.T. approved containers, in quantities not to exceed 10 pounds gross weight per container, and 100 pounds gross weight per vehicle;

100lbs per vehicle is good...10lbs per container not so good.

Pennsylvania

restricts to 100lbs also..but makes not mention of "per container" weights..

Quote:

I will be driving on the Turnpike with propane gas or a placarded load. Are their any restrictions I should be aware of?

If you are hauling propane and the weight is 100 pounds or under, you are safe to travel without restriction. If, however, you are carrying over 100 pounds of propane or a placard, please see our hazardess material section for any restrictions that may apply.

Scott B.
1986 Fleetwood Wilderness 23S
2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 - Cowboy Cadillac

Posted By: yardmaster on 06/15/09 09:48am

beekay wrote:

Hazmat is prohibited in the tunnel, and it is clearly marked. Our RV's are not placarded to carry hazmat, so we do not apply.

bk

When hauled on a tractor trailer...some hazmats...when less than a certain weight being hauled...dont have to be placarded either...but the amounts listed by the tunnel restrictions still need to be adhered to ....

Posted By: UC Patriot on 06/16/09 07:39am

broncoboy wrote:

I dont think you have anything to worry about.your not transporting in trade or comrence (ie your not under dot law.)

You won't be able to convince anyone here of this.
They seem to gravitate toward the "trucker" laws like moths to lights.

But I will back you up.

RV's are not "dot" vehicles.
We don't have to run log books, we don't have HOS, we don't carry loads, we don't have to stop at weigh stations, we don't use the "motor carrier" regulations AT ALL, the dot length laws don't apply to us in all States, nothing about our rigs is governed by "hazmat regulations", and we don't have to run "truck speeds" unless it specifically says we do on the signage.
And we don't have to get a CDL.

Posted By: UC Patriot on 06/16/09 07:45am

yardmaster wrote:

The Baltimore Regs
:

Quote:

Class 2, division 2.1 flammable gas is prohibited, with exceptions for propane, LPG, CNG, LNG, and other flammable compressed gas in U.S.D.O.T. approved containers, in quantities not to exceed 10 pounds gross weight per container, and 100 pounds gross weight per vehicle;

100lbs per vehicle is good...10lbs per container not so good.

Pennsylvania

restricts to 100lbs also..but makes not mention of "per container" weights..

Quote:

I will be driving on the Turnpike with propane gas or a placarded load. Are their any restrictions I should be aware of?

If you are hauling propane and the weight is 100 pounds or under, you are safe to travel without restriction. If, however, you are carrying over 100 pounds of propane or a placard, please see our hazardess material section for any restrictions that may apply.

You do NOT have a "placarded load".
That is for commercial vehicles only. (18 wheelers)
You are a RV, A personal and non-commercial vehicle.
Those regulations don't apply to you, no matter how close the description seems to be to your rig.

If it was a big deal, then the LP powered vehicles (like busses) with 150 gallon propane tanks would be a problem also.
And they are NOT.

Posted By: TZScales on 06/16/09 08:35am

The Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Midtown Tunnel, Berkley Bridge and Downtown Tunnel in the Tidewater Virginia area require that you stop at the inspection station before entering to allow the station attendant verify that your propane tank(s) is off.

TZS and Wife
2007 Monaco Executive Sandia IV
Cummins ISX 525 Horsepower
Allison 4000 Six Speed Transmission
Roadmaster S-Series Chassis
2006 Saturn Vue
SMI Air Force One

Print  |  Close