RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Replace old shower roof "dome"?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Replace old shower roof "dome"?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BReszel

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/08 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have just a sealed "dome", apparently for light only, over our shower in our '02 Rockwood. It looks to be original equipment as it is yellowed and cracked around the mounting screws, and leaking through the cracks.
My question is, do I replace with a vent or just another non opnenging type dome?
I'm not sure I am seeing any that don't open online.
The old one has some mold up there too, so I would think a vent would be better than a non vent.
There is a vent with a fan kind of above the area in front of the sink os it appears maybe this one above the shower is mostly for light, but why not add more ventilation, right?
Could I just add a Maxx Air dome, without any vent up there, or is that asking for trouble. We cover the whole TT in the winter.
Thanks.

Hornet28BHDS

Parker, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/08 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it a vent or a skylight?

2006 Hornet 28BHDS-Bunk House, Dual Slides

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
5.7L Hemi, Factory Towing Package
Reese Brake Controller, WD Hitch and Sway Bar

Life is short, why not spend it in an RV!

SPRING HAS SPRUNG!

Maynard

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/08 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours has the same problem with turning yellow and I'm thinking of replacing it with a smoked dome. New ones cost around $200. I've seen them available several places online.

Try RV Parts Outlet and search for "skylight".

2002 Jayco Eagle 264BH
2003 GMC 2500HD D/A CC

campin4kids

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/08 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just had to replace our vent/fan cover with a new one due to hail damage. It only cost 15.00 for the top part. If I were you, I would replay it with one with a fan in it. Its great for ventilation when one stinkies the bathroom. It is also good to leave open a little at night to avoid condensation. It is apparent that you need a fan due to your mold comment. It pulls air in thru open windows when the weather is nice outside too. Our bathroom door has space at the top and bottom for air to get through so make sure you have that if you decide on a fan.
Deb

2003 Avalanche
1992 29S Wilderness
Him 49, Me 49,
DS 20, DD 17, DD 15, DD 13

BReszel

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/08 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a vent with a fan in it already in the bathroom, about 3 feet from the skylight.
I went home over my lunch break and measured the skylight, its not square so I guess putting a vent there is out of the question. From where I was standing on the ladder it looked square. It measures 14" x 17".
Thanks for your help.
Brian

BReszel

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/08 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess its a skylight. We're pretty new to this RV stuff.

campin4kids

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/08 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campin4kids

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/08 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just call the company and have them send you an exact replacement. Why have two vents in your bathroom?

campercajun

Central Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/08 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A "Fantastic Fan" or similar fan which replaces a standard 14"X14" roof vent is a great idea in an RV bathroom. The tiny fans placed in a regular vent opening by the factory are useless for ventilation. We've had "Fantastic Fans" on our last 4 trailers (the first was factory installed, and we haven't been without one since). Our present trailer has plenty of space under both sliding doors in the walk-thru bath to allow the fan to be able to draw air in under the doors and out the ceiling, which is important when the bathroom has no outside window. Just be sure to partially open a window somewhere in the trailer so that the fan can draw air. Besides being nice to have when someone has to do #2 in the potty, a "Fantastic Fan" removes much more of the moisture from the trailer when taking a shower, and keeps that moisture out of your walls and insulation.

Something you need to check on, though, is the size of your skylight opening. Our skylight opening over the shower stall is 14"X22". A normal RV vent or "Fantastic Fan" opening is 14" X 14". If the skylight over your shower stall is larger than 14" in either width or length, you can't replace it with a standard 14"X 14" vent opening without some serious carpentry and roof sealing work, especially if you have a rubber roof (it will have to be patched in some manner to cover the previous hole). If you are not proficient at this kind of work, you might want to leave this to the experts at a local RV dealership or you may wind up with more leaks than your previous cracked skylight had.

2003 GMC Sierra Crew HD; 6.0L; Prodigy
2006 Thor Tundra 30RL-DSL; Reese Strait-Line & Dual-cam HP
2001 Honda Elite Scooter

Jim & Gayle Bryant

Murphy's Law: "Anything that CAN happen, WILL."

Bryant's Law: "31 years of RVing? Probably already HAS."

lc-12

MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/08 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please note that these "domes" are also in the shower to provide HEAD room when in the shower. A fanned vent may not be a good idea if you were to get your hair caught in it, and another hazard being an electrical fan in a wet environment.
Maybe I am thinking of the same dome as you, so, if not, I apologize!
Good luck with your project!!!!!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Replace old shower roof "dome"?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS