Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Florida Sales Tax?

Posted By: AZGarfield on 07/19/08 08:35pm

Hello
I am an Arizona resident and looking to buy a vehicle that is in Florida. I am buying from a private party in Florida and the vehicle will be registered to my Arizona address. The seller has mentioned that in Florida there is a 6% sales tax. But the information I am finding online seems to relate only to dealer sales being taxed. Can someone (that knows better than I) help me out so I understand what I should do? I did not plan to register in Florida as I once I took possession, I can go online and print out a temporary 30 day Arizona tag and use it until I get home with the vehicle. Thanks in advance.

* This post was edited 07/20/08 02:02pm by AZGarfield *

Garfield, DW & Future MLB Pro
2004 Gulf Stream Conquest 6725 27.5' Class C

Posted By: The Texan on 07/19/08 08:50pm

Private sales in FL are required to pay the sales tax, BUT only when sold to a resident and registered in Florida. In your case you will not be required to pay FL, but will owe whatever AZ charges.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Posted By: Kajtek1 on 07/20/08 12:04am

In all states I've been buying cars so far (haven't in Florida yet) the law is the same. Buyer pays sale tax per his/her county rate.
That can be collected by selling dealer (in full, or partly), or since the tax rates makes thick book, most common that buyer pays the tax with the registration in the county of new registration.
Having 2 addresses in California I saved $200 registering used car at my second address.
The easiest $200 I ever made.

Posted By: Lovedays on 07/19/08 08:57pm

I am not an expert but I lived in FL for 20+ years and I remember this coming up before, I feel fairly confident that you do not pay sales tax in FL but you will in Arizona. To make both you and the seller comfortable, just call any FL DMV office. They would be able to tell you.

Either way though, it is not the sellers responsibility to collect the tax, it is done through the DMV office for a private sale so it should not effect the sale.

By the way, if there are any English majors or people smarter than me, I struggled with effect and affect in the above sentence. Let me know if I'm wrong.

2009 Jayco Jay Flight G2 29BHS
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab

Posted By: OnaQuest on 07/19/08 10:23pm

In your sentence you should use the word affect.
You could also have said that "Florida sales tax regulations would have no effect on the sale"..... Just havin' some fun, lou

Posted By: Briteskys on 07/19/08 10:03pm

affect

'02 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Ron & Jane's Travels

Posted By: khahuna on 07/20/08 07:06am

Don't call the DMV or Div of Driver Licenses .... instead call one of the County Tax collectors. They are responsible for the sales tax and registration/Tags.

Dave & Jan
'00 37' Harney Riata MH
1 cat Chloe Anne
Izzy - gone 08/12/2013 but not forgotten

Posted By: D&E Johnson on 07/20/08 07:40am

the private seller in Florida does not have the legal right to collect sales tax from you.unless he has a tax vendors permit so he can send the tax to the state. The tax is not for him to keep.thats illegal. Do what you're planning to do and reg. in Arizona, pay them the tax at motor vehicle.Dona

Dona and Elvin

2010 Dodge Laramie 3500 4x4 Mega cab-in Pearl black/tan
2007 Open Road 359RL3S
2004 Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

Posted By: turninghawk on 07/20/08 07:19am

Skid Row Joe wrote:

The Texan wrote:

Private sales in FL are required to pay the sales tax, BUT only when sold to a resident and registered in Florida. In your case you will not be required to pay FL, but will owe whatever AZ charges.
Not so. He doesn't HAVE to register it in AZ.

I purchased a diesel-motorcoach in Florida, registering it in South Dakota to a valid, legal address. I have since registered it in another state. SD has a very favorable registering fee, unlike many other states. Montana and Oregon are very favorable too.

But the honest thing to do would be to register it in AZ, pay AZ tax, and run AZ plates on it. Someday the states are going to get wise to this scheme and collect millions in sales tax that was never paid. Just so everybody's ready for the inevitable, I guess it's fine for now, but when the states start looking for revenue, watch out!

Posted By: Bigcircle on 07/20/08 10:03am

Having sold some vehicles in Florida, You as the owner will have to pay the sales tax in whatever state you register it in, if that state has a sales tax on purchases of motor vehicles. Seller who is private does not collect taxes for the County Tax Collector. If I sold to a fellow Florida resident, they would pay the County Tax Collector when they titled the vehicle.

2007 43ft. Country Coach Allure w/tag 4 slides2006 Jeep Liberty 4WDW/  German Shepard

Posted By: Turbo Diesel Dude on 07/20/08 07:18am

Pay tax in Arizona.

charles weidman

Posted By: fla-gypsy on 07/20/08 05:35am

The Texan wrote:

This is correct.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Posted By: AZGarfield on 07/20/08 11:11am

So great input from everyone. I think I got the confirmation I was looking for - as Arizona has no sales tax on private party vehicle sales, my plans sound correct.

Posted By: Skid Row Joe on 07/20/08 12:32am

The Texan wrote:

I purchased a diesel-motorcoach in Florida, registering it in South Dakota to a valid, legal address. I have since registered it in another state. SD has a very favorable registering fee, unlike many other states. Montana and Oregon are very favorable too.

“I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.”

Posted By: turninghawk on 07/21/08 05:31am

Skid Row Joe wrote:

turninghawk wrote:

Skid Row Joe wrote:

The Texan wrote:

But the honest thing to do would be to register it in AZ, pay AZ tax, and run AZ plates on it. Someday the states are going to get wise to this scheme and collect millions in sales tax that was never paid. Just so everybody's ready for the inevitable, I guess it's fine for now, but when the states start looking for revenue, watch out!

Your post has no relevancy. I registered my coach legally in South Dakota. Did you miss the part about MY legal address in South Dakota?

The OP in Arizona can register his coach in any state he chooses to do so.

Sorry, Skid, I wasn't sure a "valid, legal address" meant you actually lived there. Forgive me. I do, however, know that many people register RVs in states like Montana by establishing an LLC, never having set foot in the state, only to bilk their actual state of residence out of the sales tax.

Posted By: rockhillmanor on 07/20/08 11:45am

Ditto on you pay the taxes of where you are going to register it.
BUT do ask if where you buy it from if they have a reciprical agreement.
I.E. some states have this with surrounding states and they DO collect other state taxes at the time of sale.That said they do collect the appropriate tax for the state of registration. but they always lose this in the transaction paperwork and always causes problems when you go to register. The paper trail never meets up with the time frame and is a pain. I ran into this when looking to buy a new MH out of state.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

Posted By: AZGarfield on 07/22/08 06:06pm

mgbogue1 wrote:

AZGarfield wrote:

Hello
The buyer has mentioned that in Florida there is a 6% sales tax.

Assuming you meant the seller mentioned the sales tax...
Anyway, kind of sounds like the seller is trying to collect an extra 6% from you and pocket it. Unless he/she has a retail business they would likely have no way of knowing to whom / where to remit the sales tax collected. If they insist on collecting the sales tax, I'd find another seller.

Hello
I may have steered you wrong.. the seller was never indicating that he wanted me to pay the sales tax to him. He was just not sure but he thought that I would have to register in FL and pay the FL private party sales tax to FL.

Thanks

Posted By: Lovedays on 07/20/08 11:32am

khahuna wrote:

Don't call the DMV or Div of Driver Licenses .... instead call one of the County Tax collectors. They are responsible for the sales tax and registration/Tags.

Just to clarify, at least in the county I lived in, in FL the tax collector had taken over the responsibility of the DMV. So when I said to call the DMV, I really meant to contact the tax collectors office.

I don't believe you need to call anyone, I believe you're fine. I just suggested it as a way to make you more comfortable with the transaction.

BTW, thanks for the grammar lessons! I can't believe I made it to 41 years old and still struggle with that one.

Posted By: Skid Row Joe on 07/20/08 10:55pm

turninghawk wrote:

Skid Row Joe wrote:

The Texan wrote:

Your post has no relevancy. I registered my coach legally in South Dakota. Did you miss the part about MY legal address in South Dakota?

The OP in Arizona can register his coach in any state he chooses to do so.

Posted By: mgbogue1 on 07/20/08 12:48pm

AZGarfield wrote:

Hello
The buyer has mentioned that in Florida there is a 6% sales tax.

Assuming you meant the seller mentioned the sales tax...
Anyway, kind of sounds like the seller is trying to collect an extra 6% from you and pocket it. Unless he/she has a retail business they would likely have no way of knowing to whom / where to remit the sales tax collected. If they insist on collecting the sales tax, I'd find another seller.

Mike & Susie
S-16
Cat who thinks he owns the place
2000 F250, 7.3L XC SB, Equal-i-zer, Prodigy
2008 Rockwood 8318SS

Print  |  Close