RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Replacing my converter. What one should I buy?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Replacing my converter. What one should I buy?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
lotust

Long Island NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/08 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys. Im looking to get something better than the Magnetek 6300 "45 amp" single stage converter with either a WFCO 55 amp bestconverter.com unit for $227. But im not sure I need a bolt in item. Im not afaraid to splice or what ever I have to do. Im also looking at thePD9245C 245C made by progressive dynamics. Can anyone make a suggestion to help me out. The PD9245 is 1/2 the price of the WFCO.

* This post was edited 07/22/08 11:14pm by an administrator/moderator *

gcloss

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/08 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go with the IOTA DLS-55 with the IQ Smart Controller. Probably the best converters available.
IOTA DLS-55

2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

lotust

Long Island NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/08 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gcloss wrote:

I would go with the IOTA DLS-55 with the IQ Smart Controller. Probably the best converters available.
IOTA DLS-55

looks nice but I dont want to have to access it to switch it out of float mode? Seems silly to me when others do this automatically.

"The DLS-55 features a Dual Voltage Jack which allows switching from a long-term float voltage of 13.6vdc to a 14.2vdc rapid charge by simply inserting the dual voltage plug (included) into the jack."

Searching for our next TT Rv as we speak. Please let me know any good deals out there.

spike99

North America

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/08 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

re: Progressive 45A - - Click Here -

The factory converter within my previous 19ft Prowler blew. Can't remember the exact AMP model but its 12V ports suddenly stopped working. I replaced with Progressive 45A (if I remember its exact amp load correctly). I simply removed its defective converter and installed the new replacement, doubled checked its onboard fuses and "plug its 110/120 plug in". Worked great since day one. Its fan was super quiet and its overall base was much smaller - then previous same amp model.

Hope this helps - some how...

nny12972

NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/08 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The PDs with Charge Wizard have a remote monitor w/switch....bullet proof. I've been running the 9180 with my L-16s for years.
J

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/08 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well the WFCO kit I believe has the replacement fuse panel that you need and the PD is a la cart. Unless you have more than two batteries I would stick with 45 or even 35 amp converter. With an oversize converter it may have a harder time automatically determining the battery is low and boost mode is needed.

The PD9200, WFCO, IOTA and Xantrex XADC are all good. The PD and IOTA give you the ability to override the current mode and manually put it in float, normal or boost. IOTA actually has the highest boost voltage at 14.76 compared to WFCO/PD 14.4 and Xantrex 14.2.

Honestly I would choose the Xantrex XADC40. This converter has power factor correction so it needs less available power and the Xantrex seems to have a better charging program to determine boost mode or float. Bestconverter has a conversion package for this one also. It shows an XADC60 but again unless you have more than two batteries I would go with 40 amps (spec is actually 44).

My 55 amp WFCO works great charging my four batteries. My OEM #6 charge wire was too small to get the WFCO to switch to boost and after I changed the wire to #2 it now works as expected.

Further if you want to charge with a 1000 watt Honda/yamaha/kipor/etc generator you will need to stay at 45 amp rating or less.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Midnightpumpkin

Concord Twp, Lake County, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/08 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Contact Randy at Best Converters. He really knows these products and will suggest the best solution for you.

Best Converter web site

John U

Midnight pumpkin

2014 Silverado 2500 Crew cab, regular bed, 4:10 gears, 6 spd, 6.0L Gas
Integrated Brake Controler
Reese Dual Cam HP

2007 Rockwood 8315SS Travel Trailer
Loaded Weights:
Trailer Axles 6640#, Hitch Wt 920#
Combined Gross Wt, no passengers, 13,855#

lotust

Long Island NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/08 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for all the replys. Im still confused. I talked to Randy at best converter. He said the WECO drop in unit will not work with my honda Eu1000i he recommended the Xantrex XADC 40a unit beacuse it has power factor correction so it needs less available power from the honda 1000. but the honda has a max output of 8.3 amps. While most converters at 45amp only consume 6.XX amps according to OHMs law.

Am I missing something? I ran my craftsman 12amp circular saw off this honda. Im not looking to spend too much on this upgrade. I want to beleave randy but Im just wondering.

smkettner wrote:

Well the WFCO kit I believe has the replacement fuse panel that you need and the PD is a la cart. Unless you have more than two batteries I would stick with 45 or even 35 amp converter. With an oversize converter it may have a harder time automatically determining the battery is low and boost mode is needed.

The PD9200, WFCO, IOTA and Xantrex XADC are all good. The PD and IOTA give you the ability to override the current mode and manually put it in float, normal or boost. IOTA actually has the highest boost voltage at 14.76 compared to WFCO/PD 14.4 and Xantrex 14.2.

Honestly I would choose the Xantrex XADC40. This converter has power factor correction so it needs less available power and the Xantrex seems to have a better charging program to determine boost mode or float. Bestconverter has a conversion package for this one also. It shows an XADC60 but again unless you have more than two batteries I would go with 40 amps (spec is actually 44).

My 55 amp WFCO works great charging my four batteries. My OEM #6 charge wire was too small to get the WFCO to switch to boost and after I changed the wire to #2 it now works as expected.

Further if you want to charge with a 1000 watt Honda/yamaha/kipor/etc generator you will need to stay at 45 amp rating or less.

Oswald38

3rd Rock

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/08 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know for sure but it might be that even if you could get the 1000 to run a non power factor corrected converter it would not leave any fudge factor. Ideally for me, I would want to run the charger and have a few amps for lights or maybe to flush the toilet while its running without bogging the genny down. I agree though that on paper, it should run a 45. Good luck.

lotust

Long Island NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/08 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bump

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Replacing my converter. What one should I buy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS