Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Skylight Replacement: Update - FIXED!

Posted By: BurbMan on 08/13/08 09:07am

Friend of mine has an '04 Pilgrim Open Road 5er, 33' I believe. The plastic dome on the outer portion of the galley skylight has crazed, and it looks like it's translucent now. Other issue is that it's starting to leak, possibly around the edges, but also through the small cracks in the dome itself.

Replacement doesn't look too hard...looks like you cut around the Dicor lap sealant and expose the screws on the outside, take it off, install the new one and load the edges up with more lap sealant. Inside trim screws are visible, so looks pretty straightforward there.

Anything I'm missing? Anybody have a good source for these things? Cheapest I could find was about $100 at RV Parts Direct.

I offered to help with this project so I'd like to know as much as possible going in....of course the wild card is possible dry rot in the framing due to the leak. He just bought this rig used from a private party, and the outside edges of the skylight are loaded up with silicone caulk, so hard to say how long it's been leaking.

Of course, it was raining when he looked at the unit and it was fine, didn't leak until the first camping trip....so I'm hoping it didn't leak bad enough or long enough to cause any major frame rot.

* This post was last edited 08/18/08 12:25pm by BurbMan *

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

Posted By: wittmeba on 08/13/08 12:28pm

You must be talking about a fixed Skylight rather than a vent which also could be referred to as a skylight.

Your wildcard - almost sounds like the pervious owner might have been 'patching' knowing there is a real problem. Hope you find to the contrary.

Couple links that might be of help:
http://www.plasticreplacementskylights.c........hts.htm?gclid=CIbx3rqyi5UCFQOIFQodJRRprA
http://pellandent.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=101
http://pellandent.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=99

This was a recent thread on replacing a vent cover. Not too relevant but how knows...
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fusea........d/21760761/gotomsg/21764282.cfm#21764282

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

Posted By: BurbMan on 08/13/08 01:42pm

Thanks for the info. Yes, it is a fixed skylight, not a vent-type.

Posted By: BurbMan on 08/13/08 02:39pm

I guess the question is, do you need to replace the whole assembly, or just the outher dome?

Posted By: sonora on 08/13/08 06:09pm

On my Jayco I just replaced the outer dome-end of leak.

Posted By: goldendagger on 08/13/08 06:28pm

now if they only sell the outer part by it's self, and at a price that makes it worth wild? depending on how important see out is, never has been for me, it's a height issue, a place to apply shampoo!! i would just get some self leveling sealer, epoxy paint to seal shell, apply fusion paint after the epoxy dries, enjoy, cost less than $25

who left the light on? is it me or are we leaning downhill. where did the dog run off to

Posted By: markopolo on 08/13/08 08:59pm

I found the outer part at a local dealer. They only had one and it was just over $50.

After removing the caulking / sealant I could see why it was cracked. Most of the screws were over tightened - some were practically right through the plastic skylight. The RV manufacturer should have at least used washers.

The new replacement skylight was similar to the old one.

I cut some aluminum to use as a big "washer" to evenly distribute the load when screwing the skylight to the roof. The roof is curved and the aluminum bends uniformly to match the curve.

The installation was not difficult. I removed the old skylight, cleaned up the old sealant and marked and drilled the holes for the new skylight. Then I formed a gasket with butyl rubber tape, set the new skylight on top of it, placed my aluminum strips on the skylight and screwed it to the roof. Then I covered the screw heads and the aluminum and around the perimeter of the skylight with Dicor self-leveling sealant. I used Dicor to fill the valley between my aluminum strips and the dome so that water doesn't collect there.

The domed interior part from my old skylight fit the new installation perfectly so at least I didn't have to purchase that piece as well.

1997 Custom Van - GMC 6.5l Turbo diesel
My Profile
My Website

Posted By: wgander on 08/13/08 09:40pm

Check the price of a skylight from the manufacturer; my manufacturers price was considerably less than $100, and I couldn't find anything on the internet for less than $130.
Fortunately, I didn't have to replace mine. I did have to replace some dry rotted wood. I then did a better job of sealing the skylight, and covered each mounting screw with Dicor Lap Sealant.
The best advice I got was to use the whole tube, don't throw any away, and don't bother to save any.

2000 Four Winds Five Thousand 28A (1999 Chevy 3500), Master Tow Dolly, 2012 Scion xB TOAD

Posted By: BurbMan on 08/14/08 06:57am

Markpolo, great idea using the aluminum strips, makesa lot of sense. Thanks for the tips and pics!

Posted By: Larry202br on 08/15/08 08:31am

markopolo wrote:

I found the outer part at a local dealer. They only had one and it was just over $50.

After removing the caulking / sealant I could see why it was cracked. Most of the screws were over tightened - some were practically right through the plastic skylight. The RV manufacturer should have at least used washers.

The new replacement skylight was similar to the old one.

I cut some aluminum to use as a big "washer" to evenly distribute the load when screwing the skylight to the roof. The roof is curved and the aluminum bends uniformly to match the curve.

The installation was not difficult. I removed the old skylight, cleaned up the old sealant and marked and drilled the holes for the new skylight. Then I formed a gasket with butyl rubber tape, set the new skylight on top of it, placed my aluminum strips on the skylight and screwed it to the roof. Then I covered the screw heads and the aluminum and around the perimeter of the skylight with Dicor self-leveling sealant. I used Dicor to fill the valley between my aluminum strips and the dome so that water doesn't collect there.

The domed interior part from my old skylight fit the new installation perfectly so at least I didn't have to purchase that piece as well.

Very nice work!

2006 Open Road 316 RLDS-5
2004 F-250 Diesel, short bed, SRW, Crew cab, 3.73 auto.

Posted By: millertime on 08/15/08 05:15pm

Mine was cracked from the sun and leaking. New one from dealer/mfg was only $18 but $50+ shipping. was a snap to change. End of leak. I only used the top half with the old bottom half. I have a spare bottom piece.

Chuck and Cindy
2002 Dodge 2500/Cummins
Reese 15000#
CF28BH Cruiser picked up 12-22-03
hyd/disk brakes installed 12/07

Posted By: BurbMan on 08/18/08 12:24pm

MarcoPolo,

My buddy went to the local RV dealer armed with this info, and they recommended the same repair. They had some scrap aluminum that they provided along with the skylight dome and Dicor sealant. One Sunday afternoon and good as new! $50 in parts out the door.

Posted By: markopolo on 08/18/08 06:02pm

That's good to know.

I used the aluminum because of the curve on the roof on mine. I figured it would even out the stress so it won't crack again.

As I mentioned before, the screws from the factory installation were over torqued and practically right through the plastic. It never had a chance.

Going a little off topic with this next question........

Does anyone use a UV blocker on their plastic skylight?

After replacing it, I want to make it last a long time.

Anyone use Protect All for this?

Posted By: campterrycanada on 08/27/08 02:12am

We have a 2007 Terry 280 fqs and are having nothing but problems with it. One of the problems we just found was cracks on the outside of the sky light in the bathroom. It poured rain this weekend, and thankfully the skylight is above the shower, but we had water pouring in. We live in southern alberta, where it rarely rains so we never noticed it before (I guess because it was leaking into the shower). We took the inside dome off and there is mold in the corners and the wood doesn't look good, and each of the corners of the exterior dome is cracked. We are going to pull the whole thing apart and hopefully there isn't too much damage. I wonder if we should just try and repair it or replace the whole thing?

Print  |  Close