|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> GMC/Outfitter First canoe trip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or should I say the Whazoo's new canoe for two. After seeing paddling pictures from another thread I was more excited than usual to try our new canoe. The first issue was that the canoe was exactly as long as the camper top and arched way up over the ac and fan vents. Coming up with a mounting system took some imagination, and ideas from others. I ended up using 4 sets of Yakima crossbars with 2 sets of gunwale brackets and some 12 in. tall mini-cell foam blocks. It worked outstanding and even held up upon re-entry into Earth's atmosphere. Oops, different post. The real bummer was trying to get this all set up during summer...in Phoenix. Good way to loose weight, water anyway, and get a heat rash on your back. Here's a picture of "the system."
[image]

We were headed for the vicinity of Boulder Mountain in Utah where my Dad fishes. It has in excess of 50 "lakes", some being basically pond size but with many fish. To get there we drove through some small Utah towns that we normally enjoy driving thru. This time however, I got pulled over.
[image]

I asked the officer what the problem was, as usual, and he told me that he could tell by the way I exposed myself as I drove thru town with my canoe, that I was an paddlephile AND an expeditionist. I didn't get it either. But I was thinking this was just the ticket (?) when he noticed that I was driving a GMC/Outfitter combo, and he mentioned that my Outfitter was the expedition camper of choice, and my truck couldn't be beat either. I knew right then,this guy was no dummy...

[image]

So with a warning that we were "to cool for school" he let us head on out of town. We promised to give a fish report on the way back. When we arrived in Escalante we were told by the Park Service that extremely heavy rains had basically shut down the whole mountain. Having driven thru the driving rain we believed them. And hating mud like I do I didn't feel like trying my luck in the muck. So back to Bryce we went and then headed north to Pine Lake, a gem of a lake and just right for a first canoe ride.
[image]

Looking for a camp spot, but not in the campground, (oh no) we were driving in some welcome shades of green.
[image]

This little lake was a beaut, with one end full of reeds and flowers. Some random pictures..
[image]

[image]

[image]

This one will take a minute to load, watch close for a sec...
[image]

So anyway, Mrs. Whazoo looks a bit trepidatious on first entry. The first person to set foot in the "USS MINNOW."
[image]

While I feel quite at home, naturally, having read Hiawatha many times over as a kid. I am practicing my Indian sign language, or Spock greeting I'm not sure which. Hey, I'm left handed what can I say, and don't have a clue what the right is doing.
[image]

And as we paddle along, I am still trying to figure...how to take a nap in this canoe while Mrs. Whazoo paddles about.
[image]

Well it may not be the Godzilla size fish that some troll for, (Silver) but it's possibly the largest lake trout you'll ever see...honest!! I wouldn't lie about that. No, no I wouldn't...
[image]

Having found the only camp spot basically on the lake & not in the campground, Mrs. Whazoo has the nerve to paddle solo to where we'll beach the canoe, while I drive the truck to where we'll meet up.
[image]

[image]

[image]

meanwhile, back at Camp Gitche Gumee...
[image]

Sunset was excellent. And as advised to me, (Farctic Ox) a micro-brew after paddling around was just the best. Well, actually 1 was good, 2 were much better and 3 was definitely the best.
[image]

Leaving after two full days of paddling around Pine Lake.
[image]

Pine Lake made us want to see some Arizona Mountain Lakes from someplace besides the shore, where we have always been. So heading back to Arizona we stop at Marble Canyon. What happen to all the truck campers? We seem to be the only ones. Where ARE all you tc folks?? Definitely not shooting marbles here at the canyon.
[image]

Arriving back in Arizona we are experiencing a total downpour around Blue Ridge Reservoir. So, with all forest roads basically quagmires we decide to stop at Rock Crossing Campground, and are pleasantly surprised at the quality of the camps. Gravel, and no mud! This picture is at sunup the next morning. It rained every afternoon everywhere we went. It was actually great, as every forest in the west needs rain. And afternoon naps in the tc with rain on the roof are heavenly...and 2 hours long!
[image]

Next morning we paddle close to ten miles of Blue Ridge Reservoir, 5 in and 5 out, a long but narrow lake. What a totally relaxful and peaceful way to see a lake. No sound but the canoe gliding along, and the occasional sound of air under pressure coming from the rear, of the canoe. That would be the stern. Darn canoe, gotta fix that air leak. Some random canoe pictures...
[image]

[image]

[image]

So after 7 days of canoeing 5 different lakes, the first canoe trip is coming to an end. I throw my line in one more time for luck...and catch the size of fish normally associated with the Whazoo. That's why we bring other food.
[image]

Yet as we glide along I can't help but feel that just under the canoe, in the shadow where I can't see them, there is something larger for me to catch...
[image]

Thanks for reading,
Dave Rogers

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave:

Another "Best Seller" you devil you!!

You really got me there with the rather large...trout?!?

I'm tallying up all the Trip Reports, and posting them Sundays...

Thanks for yet another excellent contribution!!!

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Happy paddling to you Silver.

Thanks, Dave!!! Much appreciated [emoticon]

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Silver, I just want to say thank you and acknowledge all YOUR efforts in the trip reports. What a great guy you are, to take the time. I can only hope to have some of your experiences in the future. Happy paddling to you Silver...I can say that now.

Matho

New Mexico Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip. That trout trick was funny.

2015 Chevy 3500 SRW 4X4 6.0 CC SB Big Wig 2016 Northstar Laredo SC Off Road

trails2004

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Dave---WOW

Very cool, nice report and great job with photoshop---now we know --you were not actually there-- just really really good with photoshop---[emoticon]

JK

Thanks that was fun

jim87vette

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That looks like a blast and you write a great story very funny.I am looking at maybe a Kayak but that canoe looks fun as heck!

08 GMC 3500 Dually Duramax
96 Chevy 2500 6.5
05 Yamaha Rhino
04 Gearbox 335FS 5er 14k wet

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/08 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great job, Dave -- now back to work.

btw, I know you CLEARLY qualify, but I've always wondered how your lovely wife likes being called 'Mrs. Whazoo'??

Cal

fuelhauler

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As always I look forward to the trip reports from the GREAT WHAZOO.

2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/08 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cewillis wrote:

Great job, Dave -- now back to work.

btw, I know you CLEARLY qualify, but I've always wondered how your lovely wife likes being called 'Mrs. Whazoo'??

Hi Cal, How do you like your new camper?? And funny you ask...I started off as the Grand Whazoo, misspelled by me, a favorite Frank Zappa album. Years later I realized I wasn't so grand and went with just Whazoo, which I definitely am. Mrs. Whazoo, well, she's resigned to the fact, and handles it with the class that I married her for.

Trails, you finally got me figured out don't ya. I don't even have an Outfitter camper either haha. Just photoshop myself wherever I want to go, saves on diesel that way. Enjoyed your pictures also.

Fuelhauler, glad SOMEONE thinks of the Whazoo as great. Thank you for that!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> GMC/Outfitter First canoe trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS