RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Winnebago '99 - '05 roof construction

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Winnebago '99 - '05 roof construction

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/08 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From My research (Download PDF & Pictures from Winnebago Website Literature), It looks as if Winnebago Updated (made a change) in the roof construction of the Winne / Spirit 300 series class C units starting in 2003.

in 1999 Winnebago started the "Wide body" 300 series which included a crowned roof with fiberglass sheeting that rolls over the side edges.

in 2003 They added to the Front and Rear panels / roofline a 1 piece molded fiberglass cap (approx. 12" X full width) that appears to wrap around the corner edges. I really think this is a excellent feature for strength and help a area that has been a source for water leaks in the RV industry.

Can anyone confirm that this was indeed a feature added in 2003 and that older ('99 - '02) did not have this ?

I have not looked at any WB minnie between '99 - '02 to see for myself, but if it's like I think it is Then more than likely help me search for 2003 & newer units.

Picture of a 24v (2005) roof

* This post was edited 08/27/08 10:12am by Kamphiker *

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/08 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent observations!!

This is one of the main reasons - if not THE main reason - I purchased our 2005 Itasca 324V over other brands I looked at. I refused to consider any Class C with a rubber-based or TPO roof. However, rain on the roof does have a slightly "hollow" pitter patter sound that you probably don't get with a rubber or TPO roof.

Actually, I would have ideally preferred a fully molded one piece fiberglass body like my previous Chinook had - but these type of motorhome bodies hardly exist anymore at a price that a mortal can afford.

As a side note, from studying photos at Winnebago's site ... does the current Access 324V (their Itasca line no longer includes this floor plan or length) even have a crowned roof?

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

trnfla

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/08 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe my 2004 winnie has a one piece roof. I will have to check.

Please say a Prayer for my 5 year old Granddaughter (Discovered she had Leukemia at 9 months), she has been in remission and tests keep coming back clean.

Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW
NiceCamps.com

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/08 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are correct about 2003. I think The 400 series Minnie Winnie and Itasca Sundancer had that design earlier.

The most deluxe class C up through 2006 is the Winnebago Minnie Winnie or the Itasca Sundancer. 2006 was the last year for the Minnie Winnie or the Sundancer. A lot of people call the Winnebago Minnie the Minnie Winnie, which is not correct. I think that is why they renamed the Minnie the Outlook in 2006.
Regards,
Dick

Bubby's RV

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/08 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2004 Minnie has the rolled-edge roof with the moulded end caps. The current version does not.

BTW, that rolled side edge has very little strength. It's only 1.0 millimeter thick Filon with styrofoam insulation behind it. Replacing one of those one-piece roofs is expensive.

John, Winnebago Minnie 24V

Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/08 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bubby's RV wrote:

My 2004 Minnie has the rolled-edge roof with the moulded end caps. The current version does not.

BTW, that rolled side edge has very little strength. It's only 1.0 millimeter thick Filon with styrofoam insulation behind it. Replacing one of those one-piece roofs is expensive.

Since you brought up the name "FILON", Now I have another question. Are the panels ROOF and SIDEWALLS that Winnebago uses FILON Brand (Registered trademark FIlon) or a EQUAL ?

Filon is a Leader in the composite panel usage in the RV industry there are other manufactures and I have heard the FILON name used like Kleenex name in the Tissue industry.

Here is some good reading on FILON and the Repair techniques used to restore damage.

Filon Flexroof information:

http://www.cranecomposites.com/RV/roofpanels.asp

Technical data sheet:

http://www.cranecomposites.com/PDFs/6333_fil_tech.pdf

Repair steps:

http://www.cranecomposites.com/PDFs/65000_RV_VOC.pdf

Seems to be problems with the forum tonite, can't make them clickies

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/08 05:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

does using that 12 inch edge molding then mean that there are seams down the roof on both sides?
bumpy

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/08 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bubby's RV wrote:

Winnebago has more than one line of C's. The Outlook and Spirit still have the same roof structure that they had previously.

Access and Impulse, introduced as lower cost, lower price lines to compete with entry FourWinds, Coachmen, Sunseeker, et al, have a less expensive to produce roof with a seam built into a hard corner, similar to those brands. But the roof is still crowned, with roof frame edges and wall frame header interlocking aluminum extrusions.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/08 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

does using that 12 inch edge molding then mean that there are seams down the roof on both sides?
bumpy

Who said anything about an edge molding? OP was describing front and rear caps.

The roof covering is a single sheet of fiberglass reinforced plastic. It is rolled over the top of the joint between the roof frame and wall frame, covering that, and inserted into a groove on the wall header.

Your Winnebago dealer has a cross-section model in his showroom, if you really want to see it, and can't make the trip to Forest City.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/08 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For OP: the 2000 model year brochure for Itasca Spirit shows a more conventional roof, rather than the rolled-over Winnebago roof.

I'm not at home where I would have access to my collection of Winnebago brochures, but you can find them going back to the '60s on Winnebago's web site (look for a link on the main page to "Previous Model Year Information."

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Winnebago '99 - '05 roof construction
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS