|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Dodge Trans Van

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
IGFan

Springfield, IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/08 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know anything about these small van-based motorhomes? I just saw one from the 70's posted on Craigslist and was curious. Doesn't seem like too bad of a way to start van-camping. You could get your foot in the door and see if you liked it before spending really big bucks on a RoadTrek or something.

PJ and Bill,
and Isabella the Italian Greyhound

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/08 04:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it looks like this, I think it's technically a Class C (built on a cutaway), not a B.

But if you're a tinkerer / DIY type and can find one without too much wrong with it, and no serious structural problems, yes, it'd be a good way to get your feet wet. If you have to pay someone to fix everything, stay away from old RV's unless you've got truly deep pockets. Read & heed all of the advise on buying used in the FAQ's here. One warning... some of the old Dodges use the hard-to-find 16.5" tires, and RV tires should be replaced every 5-7 years, regardless of remaining tread.

There's a Yahoo group called 'Classic B Vans' (strictly speaking, a misnomer) that has some Transvan and similar unit owners. Just having access to the pic files is worth the 'price' of admission.

Jim, "Gimme coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory') www.tigervehicles.com

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/08 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from "CVC". These are all Class C's.

79powerwagon

S.E. Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/08 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always been a fan of these- 1/2 custom street van, 1/2 camper. I've never actually been inside of one, but I've heard that they don't quite have stand-up head room in them. Otherwise, they are like any older Dodge RV, THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Leeann

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/08 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of info on the Transvans here and about older Dodge-based rigs here. Transvans were made by Champion and there are still a lot of them around.

Oh, and 16.5s aren't that hard to find; 8.75x16.5 radials are available at Pep Boys, among other places.

Most of these older Dodge-based RVs came with 8.00x16.5, but the 8.75x16.5 not only fits without rubbing on the duals, it gives you better stability and a better ride.

'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Leeann

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/08 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

79powerwagon wrote:

I've never actually been inside of one, but I've heard that they don't quite have stand-up head room in them.

No, the Transvans have headroom; it's the Transtars that do not (they just look like an older Dodge Maxivan - you'd have to be under 5' to stand in one of those).

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/08 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the couples in our camping club got an old Transvan when the Mr. had a stroke and the Mrs. didn't want to pull the 5er. They love it, she is comfortable to drive it and after 30 years it still doesn't leak, and all the stuff in the house still works.

Mostly it is used for sleeping, not much room for entertaining; in our club, most of those activities are outside, or in the campground clubhouse.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B
2001 Ranger Edge

david_42

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/08 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at one a few years back. The seller, who was about 5'6", couldn't understand why I decided not to buy it. I'm only 5'10" and there wasn't anywhere in the RV that I could stand up, even in bare feet.

goreds2

OH H ..... EYE OH !

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/08 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is an all CraigsList cities google search used when I was shopping for various motorhomes including the TransVan.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=transvan+-directory+siteraigslist.org&start=0&sa=N

See Picture In My Profile
1990 Dodge XPLORER RV Van- Purchased 10/15/10
Chick Magnet !

* Sportsman GEN154 2000 Watt 80cc Portable Generator *
XM Satellite Radio since 12/25/2004
Sold my Class C 1976 Dodge TEC Motor Home 9/25/10

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Dodge Trans Van
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts