|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Serro Scotty Motorhome

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
greydawg

Livingston TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/08 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Berticus wrote:

greydawg,

I have found that email from the guy who is selling a 96 4x4 Dodge diesel. If you want more info on this, PM me.

Safe and Happy Camping, Robert.

Robert --

I would PM you for the information, but I don't know how to send a PM on this forum! Help!

--MJ in NC (aka GreyDawg)

MJ
current rig: Ford E350 "DIY"

Berticus

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/08 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greydawg,

Just click on my name on the upper left side of my post here, then choose the Send Private Message. then you can type just like in here and Send the message to me.

I just received a message from the seller saying he has reduced the price. I think you can get it a little cheaper still. It does look like a great looking rig with low miles and a rear corner bed everthing else looks about the same as mine.

I'll send you the link in a PM, RObert.

The Setup:
96' Serro Scotty 25'Dodge,4x4,Diesel,Class-C, 86 20' Chris Craft LTD.

avatr

San Antone

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/08 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check this out: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classc/14637.HTM

and it's not that far from you.

avatr

San Antone

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/08 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

here's one on eBay: # 130253674403

and this one is a diesel.

greydawg

Livingston TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/08 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions!

Fortunately, I'm not "home" right now -- I would have been in the path of Ike's eye. Livingston has no power, etc.

The rig at PPL looks interesting, but is a gasser. I'd guess I might get 10 mpg. Also looks like the coach and cab have been repainted -- could be good or bad. Interior looks like there are at least two tones of wood -- does that suggest some sort of rebuild?

I've also tracked down a couple on craigslist, which are 1993's -- earlier than I want, as Scotty was still trying to figure out how to make motorhomes then!

I'll keep looking! And probably keep asking questions!

--- GreyDawg

avatr

San Antone

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/08 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

good luck with your search.

RamblinManGA

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/08 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi from Ga. . . in response to your comment about Scotty still trying to figure out how to build motorhomes in 93, I think you're sadly mistaken. My 92 Scotty Pioneer has been great and is quite well designed and built. I know 2 other folks with 91's who are very happy with them. It is, of course, 16 years old and not perfect, but I can't think of another I'd swap it for at similar dollars. Mine has a 60th anniversary plate on it, so they'd been making travel trailers for a while. Just thought I'd speak up for them cause I loves my Scotty. Regards, Craig

Formerly 'Seahawk09'

greydawg

Livingston TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/08 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Craig --

Thanks for your response. Yes, Scotty had been making excellent trailers since, at least the 1950s, and it is a shame that when the plant burned in 1997, they did not reopen.

I didn't mean to dis the earlier motorhomes.

From what I've dug up, is seems that in the first two or three years of production of the motorhomes, some production runs had leakage/delamination problems where the coach attached to the chassis, and at the cab/coach seam (that's not unusual in motorhomes -- Winnebago had that problem in its 2006 View/Navion on the sprinter chassis).

Serro Scotty experimented with production techniques (hence not all early motorhomes had the problem) and by 1994 or so had it satisfactorily resolved. Which is good because they are great rigs!

So, not all the older units had problems -- just some as they worked out the production kinks. Some units are fine. Other units aren't: a 1993 listed on craigslist in California had the the back wall and the cabover rebuilt because of leakage and delamination. Caveat emptor!

(Why were they only built on Dodge trucks? Because John Serro's brother had a Dodge dealership, and John liked Dodges. How did we live before Google? )

MJ in NC

tonyandkaren

pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/08 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi greydawg - I just saw your latest posts - apparently the post notification isn't working right again.
The Scotty on PPL looks pretty good but if you want a diesel , I guess you'll have to keep looking. The exterior repainting would make me check it over really well for signs of an accident. The paint on the cab and fiberglass body on our Scotty is in excellent condition. Some of the graphics have faded and cracked but that's about it.
As far as the cabinets being two shades ,I think that's just the finish on the wood darkening. All of the framing is made of wood grain printed press board - not the best stuff in the world. It gets little nicks in it through the fake wood print that I touch up with acrylic paint. I've sanded the doors down to almost bare wood , which isn't very hard to do because the finish is fairly thin and refinished them with waterbased poly urethane. They're a good match now with the framing.

Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

Ram4X4V10

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/08 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey greydawg,
Did you ever get a look at the Serro Sotty rig at PPL in Houston? They still have it, dropped the price some too. I was curious about the paint and missing graphics. That is the floor plan we are looking for and the gas doesn't bother me as it can't be much worse than the 9.5 we get now. We have been eyeing these for a few years now and are ready to move into a "C" but don't want to sacrifice the roomy cab. Anyone towing a Cheroke with thier Scotty?
Happy trails.

* This post was edited 10/15/08 03:33pm by Ram4X4V10 *

97 Ram 2500 4X4 V10 - 11.5' Shasta slide-in

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Serro Scotty Motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts