RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Damon's "Avanti" Trend?, Yes/No!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Damon's "Avanti" Trend?, Yes/No!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Teacher's Pet

SD.. Fulltimers. Goshen IN summers

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/08 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As much bashing that has gone on in here the past on THOR products, I really wonder if it will succeed.

'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'03 Ford Sport Trac Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
Two Lady Scotties on board, Butterscotch & Duchess
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 18, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Glenn Cooper

Chesapeake, Va.

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/08 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PET, I have often wondered the same about DEMON, NATIONAL, and ALFE!
Why do people buy THESE?...... Coop

alvinator

Fort Myers, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/08 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, Airstream built their low profile 30 and 33 Land Yachts for years until the RV community stopped buying them for financial or size reasons. We had a 1999 30' Land Yacht with a 454 Chevy and regularly got 10 MPG.

Deja vu all over again.

Al and Jan
Sophia and Emilee-The Pugs
2003 Airstream Land Yacht 33

Craig95005

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/08 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's the future of motorhoming. People will get so caught up in mileage that they will put up with a little less room and power.

A lot depends on the floor plans and interior appointments. I know that each slideout adds weight, but I think you have to maximize interior space by using them.

On the other hand, those of us getting ready to buy one of those 2-3 year old inefficient diesel pushers in six months will get a hell of a deal.

AZPops

Wherever the Job takes us...

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/08 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Though I’d post this link on the AVANTI Workhorse W16D Chassis;

http://www.taigmarks.com/workhorse/WCC-1939/w16d.html

Pops

webhannet

Southern Coastal Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/08 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avanti buyers will be "boutique" shoppers - and the price will keep it that way. Another "high-line" attempt at downsizing - and with significant innovations and imagination - was the Newmar NewAire. As the first out of the gate in this new market, Avanti gets the attention - but I'm guessing it will suffer because of the things RVers hold dear - like CCC, towing capacity, and interior space - and the price. The number of Views and Navions for sale shows us that people aren't likely to enjoy "new" and "small" too long.

Thor Bashing! It would be one thing to have a great reputation and weather this economy well (and who is?)- but for THOR to change into a quality leader (remember the price range!) AND have one of the industry's best financial performances ... it's outstanding! Thor deserves some respect!

mcewena

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/08 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bagman wrote:

Well, do you guys and gals think these sleek, narrower, shorter, lower, and more aerodynamic class A's with 4 or 6 cycl. diesel engines, will it be a one hit wonder, a flop, or do you think the "Avinti" will spawn other manufacturers to come up with their own high MPG class A,

All the units that have the features we're looking for seem to be in the 38-40 range, but when we were at a recent show we were standing in one of those units with 6-8 strangers who happened to be touring the units at the same time and we couldn't help but notice how we weren't crowded. Since there's only 2 of us we're kind of thinking these units must therefore be bigger then we need (but yet they have the amenaties we're looking for so it's a catch 22).

If the Avanti type unit had the features we're looking for I think I'd concider it for equal money for a 38-40 gasser. For a non-fulltimer it offers advantages in storage, parking etc.. that would likely equal out with it's disadvantages to lack of sq footage. The problem right now is you can get more bang for your buck buying a 2-3 year old "oversized" unit then you can getting a new niche unit like this.

Plus the trap that north american car manufacturors fall into is that they figure small must equal cheap, just because I want something for 2 people that's easy to park shouldn't mean I have uncomfortable seats or plastic trim, etc... Hopfully the RV industry doesn't fall into that trap too.

pfunk

Shelby Township, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/08 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only 14.5,, meh, I wouldnt want to get rid of my towing capability for a 4-5mpg increase(Im sure that this one isnt rated for much)
I really like the Boat style interior and layout

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
300 Cat 6spd Ally

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/08 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not for us, we bought what we have because we could afford it and wanted it. No reason to get rid of it even for double the fuel mileage.

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/08 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

webhannet wrote:

was the Newmar NewAire.

I was thinking the same thing!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Damon's "Avanti" Trend?, Yes/No!