|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report - Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds 2nd trip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/08 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds – Hiawassee, GA – 08-08-2008 thru 08-10-2008

Participants: Dave, Ashley, Gary, Laurie, Stevie, Dylan

Campground Rating: 3 (out of 5)

Rating reasons / About the campground: no camp store, town of Hiawassee very close (Ingles less than 1 mile), camp sites not very level, mens shower house (clean - 2 toilets, 1 urinal, 2 shower stalls), great playground for the kids, nice campground roads for the kids to ride their bikes (a little hilly), lots of hiking within a short drive (applies to area 1)

Campsite number: 41

About our trip:
The kids were out of school this week for fall break so we went back up to Lake Chatuge. We arrived around 2 pm and set up camp. Then we went on a cruise – a little chilly but nice.

The kids and myself on the boat:
[image]

I literally saved Gary and Laurie’s lives by letting them borrow a couple of coats. They were simply forgotten. We even brought a few extra sweatshirts for Ashley that we offered to the boys but there was no way of getting pink and purple on those two no matter how cold they were.

We had Taquitos for breakfast every morning. My sister was the one who came up with the recipe. We make them before we go camping and they heat up great in the microwave making for a simple and fast breakfast. For those of you who would like to give them a try, here's the recipe:

Taquitos:
1 package Jimmy Deans sausage (we use Hot even though I don’t like spicy foods)
1 package soft tortilla shells (10 pack - I use the ones from refrigerated section)
1 dozen eggs
1 package shredded cheese
1 jar salsa

Directions:
Brown sausage. Mix in eggs. Set individual tortilla shells on squares of Glad Press N Seal. Place a row of shredded cheese on tortilla. Place sausage/egg mixture on top of cheese then roll into taco shape and seal with Press N Seal. Store in Ziploc bag (gallon storage size works great). When ready to eat, microwave for approximately 1 minute. Pour salsa on top and enjoy. Delicious! Thanks again Kris!!

Wednesday we woke up to a cloudy not quite raining but extremely misty day. We decided it wasn’t going to be a “lake day” so we decided to go hiking instead. We decided on Brasstown Bald, the highest point in Georgia (4784 feet). We knew going in that the view would be minimal at best but we had no idea how bad it would be. The top of the mountain was socked in with cloud. It might as well have been raining. There was so much moisture from the cloud that every time there was a breeze we would get rained on from the trees.

While on the trail:
[image]

[image]

This is what greeted us at the top (that's the observation deck and tower!):
[image]

Group picture at the top:
[image]

It is a nice hike though and we figured it would wear down the kids a little. Of course when we got back it cleared off enough to see the peak from our campsite:
[image]

[image]

Thursday was a perfect day. 76 degrees, very few clouds, slight variable breeze. We decided to hike Brasstown again so we could actually see what we missed the first time around:
[image]

[image]

[image]

Group picture:
[image]

We had a great day out on the lake after we returned. Did some skyskiing and water skiing and the kids did some tubing.

Gary skiing:
[image]

Me skyskiing:
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The kids tubing:
[image]

Dylan on the rope swing:
[image]

Gary:
[image]

Me:
[image]

[image]

Had some nice cold beer while cooking the pork loin, sweet potatoes, and corn on the campfire. Gary made some chicken wings on the grill.

Hanging out by the campfire:
[image]

We awoke on Friday to a lot of wind. So being the hard-core skiers that we are…we packed up and headed home.

We had a good time and these late season trips to the lake are great. We were literally the only ones on that side of the campground for the first 2 ½ days of our trip. There are 92 sites on that side! There was very little boat traffic on the lake as well. Of course, being there from Tuesday through Friday didn’t hurt.

Laurie and rudder (Look at all those campers behind them!):
[image]

You might notice the lack of pictures with Bandit in them. He had been ill the past couple of weeks and he has been on some medication. We didn't bring him with us because he had been having a very hard time getting around. Well, we had to put Bandit down today. We took him back to the vet this morning and they found fluid in his lungs and said that he was suffering from congestive heart failure. So we decided that he had a good life and it was time to end his suffering. He was like a ni-cad battery. Lively and happy right up to the end. Sorry to end the report on a down note. Until next time, Dave.

2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/08 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures and looks like family and friends had a good time.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman210000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/08 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures and report, thanks for posting.

I'm sorry for the loss of Bandit, he was a great dog.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

rhode trip

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/08 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a fun trip, thanks for posting. Sorry to hear about Bandit.

2002 Dodge 3500 CTD/DRW/
2000 Northern Lite 10-2000cd

www.LapelPinPlanet.com

joe_jeep

hazel park, mi

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/08 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looks like you had a great time! nice looking campground too!

dee and i are so sorry for the loss of bandit!

2002 f250 sd shortbed supercab 4x4 lariat v10 3.73
2009 jayco jayflight g2 32rls
2005 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited sahara
jeep cj, d60's, coilovers, 42's, lots-o-tube

rpoplin

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/08 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad your experience at Georgia Mt Fairgrounds was better than ours. We went last year and were literally perched on the hillside with the back of our camper hanging our the edge of the campsite. We were also in Area 1 in site 68, but there was not an empty spot in the entire campground. We had family staying in sites 77 and 80 next to the water, but they were on unlevel campsites as well. Our campsite was at the top of the hill to the right of your photo of Laurie and rudder. By the way..sorry about Bandit! See following link: Our Camping Photos
I have never been surrounded by so many scary people in my life! We love the town of Hiawassee, but will not be staying at Georgia Mtn Fairgrounds again.
Randy in Georgia

* This post was edited 09/23/08 06:33pm by rpoplin *

2012 Crossroads Zinger 26BL
Pulled by 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab/V8
"Happy Camper!"">

spkncarl

That Way

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/08 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow!!! So that's what Georgia looks like...[emoticon]

Thanks for sharing...and sorry for your loss.

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/08 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Dave, I wanna be your neighbor, that way I can tag along and have fun too. Great looking trip!!

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/08 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rpoplin wrote:

I'm glad your experience at Georgia Mt Fairgrounds was better than ours. We went last year and were literally perched on the hillside with the back of our camper hanging our the edge of the campsite. We were also in Area 1 in site 68, but there was not an empty spot in the entire campground. We had family staying in sites 77 and 80 next to the water, but they were on unlevel campsites as well. Our campsite was at the top of the hill to the right of your photo of Laurie and rudder. By the way..sorry about Bandit! See following link: Our Camping Photos
I have never been surrounded by so many scary people in my life! We love the town of Hiawassee, but will not be staying at Georgia Mtn Fairgrounds again.
Randy in Georgia
Randy, I'm sorry to hear about your experiences at the GA MNT Fairgrounds. I’ve never had a bad experience there. My only real complaints are the un-level sites. Of course I spend most of my time on the water and only eat and sleep in the campground. Plus I blinded by the lake. It’s one of the prettiest lakes I’ve ever been on. Dave.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/08 10:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures from the lookout on the mountain. Both days. Someday, we'll do an around the nation tour and see Georgia. Looks like a nice place to camp, hike, etc... I like the air ski pictures. I bet riding that ski is a blast till you hit the water on your back or something. Sorry about your little buddy, they're so much a part of the family. Thanks for posting.

Jeff

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!

A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report - Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds 2nd trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS