Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: adding creative new sleeping space

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 09/30/08 07:19pm

We just purchased a 1995 Fleetwood Bounder in great shape. My only concern is that it sleeps exactly 3 due to custom improvisations. The original layout was two twins in the rear, a pull-out couch, and two swivel chairs at a table for dining. We plan to remove the remaining twin in the back, and build a queen bed. How can we add an additional bed so that with using the queen, the fold-out couch and an additional bed, our Bounder will then sleep 4?

Does anyone have any creative sleep space building ideas?

Thanks, we're new to this.

Posted By: rocknrun on 09/30/08 07:22pm

If you only occasionaly have the need for a 4th bed you might consider an Aero Bed.

1995 Thor Residency 3500
Amateur Radio Operator W4KTL

Posted By: Lt46 on 09/30/08 07:23pm

My couch is a jack-knife type, it simply folds flat for one sleeper. I keep an aero bed and pump in storage for when the kids want friends to sleepover. Simply fill it and put it on the floor and everyone is happy and comfy.

Peter & Dawn
97 Winnebago Adventurer 37RW
96 Prowler 27X SOLD
IAFF L-792

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 09/30/08 07:24pm

No, the 4th person would be always. Thanks though.

Posted By: SkiingSixPack on 09/30/08 07:25pm

Tent?
Add-a-Room for the awning?
Single Aero bed or other blow-up bed (the new ones are actually quite comfortable) the singles are not all that wide.

My better half
DS-14,DD-13,DS-11,DS-11
After 16 years, Brandy Red Sunshine now at the bridge
Our new puppy, Summit Red Sunshine, has our hearts

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

Posted By: SkiingSixPack on 09/30/08 07:28pm

How about a queen in back with a single bunk over half the queen. Doesn't say much for the queen occupant's privacy... :-)

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 09/30/08 07:28pm

What are the chances of building a trundle arrangement under the couch? Has anyone ever seen or heard of such a thing?

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 09/30/08 07:31pm

SkiingSixPack wrote:

How about a queen in back with a single bunk over half the queen. Doesn't say much for the queen occupant's privacy... :-)

We definitely want the kids OUT of the bedroom.

Posted By: teb1272 on 09/30/08 08:47pm

Many units handle this by making the dinette convert into a bed-ours does that. I suppose you could find a unit at one of the RV junkyards, or some ingenuity might allow you to convert the dining space to something like four stackable chairs and a fold-down table, leaving room for a cot or fold-up bed?

Posted By: othertonka on 09/30/08 09:41pm

A booth type dinnete where the table is lowered down between both of the bench seats and the seat back cushions go on the table making a bed for a small child. A queen in the back, and a fold down couch.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 09/30/08 09:58pm

Has anyone ever seen a bunk that folds down from the ceiling over the passenger and driver seats?

Posted By: trailmeisterjoe on 09/30/08 10:55pm

Tenderfoot4 wrote:

Has anyone ever seen a bunk that folds down from the ceiling over the passenger and driver seats?

yeah, some of the older class A's had them as an option.....i think they are referred to as " rattle cages" as they made a lot of rattle noise going down the road.

Joe

'99 rexhall rexair with 2 slides 32 ft

Posted By: rnr42005 on 10/01/08 12:12am

we have an 86 pace arrow with the rear single beds. the overhead storage above them lays out to create 2 more more single beds. we also have a pull down bunk over the driving area that sleeps 2, plus the couch that will sleep 2.

i don't think i would like that many people that close together for too long a time!

Posted By: helena handbasket on 10/01/08 12:16am

I would yank the table and chairs and add a jack knife sofa. We either eat outside or on TV tables most of the time anyway.

Helena Handbasket
2005 Itasca Sunrise 38J

Posted By: fatmanobx on 10/01/08 04:35am

If you are going to rebuild the bedroom, put the booth back in the dining area. Sounds like you have the tools and talent. Very easy to construct or you may be able to pick up one here. A lot of folks are removing them for the table and chair option...

2003 Four Winds Infinity 37'
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy
Ford F250 Super Duty

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 10/01/08 08:05am

To rnr42005:
That sounds very interesting. Do you have any pictures you could post for our benefit?

Posted By: cjalphonso on 10/01/08 08:10am

I'm in a similar possision, I have a 2yr old and a 4yr old. Currently the 4 is on the jacknife couch and the 2 is still in a pack and play, but he is about to outgrow it. I do have a dinette, but the car seats are strapped in and would make it rather difficult to make it into the fold down bed. We definitely want to keep our privacy as well.

I was thinking if I remove the cabinets from above the jacknife couch I may be able to fit a wall mounted small murphy type bed above the window. I would have to build some type of support frame as the wall would not be strong enough to hold it.
What I am thinking is something similar to a cruise ship type bunk bed. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Posted By: COMPUTER_PALL on 10/01/08 08:32am

trailmeisterjoe wrote:

Tenderfoot4 wrote:

yeah, some of the older class A's had them as an option.....i think they are referred to as " rattle cages" as they made a lot of rattle noise going down the road.

Joe

My '84 Winnie has that option....doesn't make a sound. It doesn't fold down, though, it pulls down. It's held up, when not in use, by a couple of very short seat belts bolted to the ceiling.

Posted By: cjalphonso on 10/01/08 09:54am

You could build one similar to the top part of this one, however it would not have to be as thick if you used a thin mattress.

Murphy wall bed picture

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 10/01/08 08:37am

cjalphonso wrote:

What I am thinking is something similar to a cruise ship type bunk bed. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I was thinking of something like that as well. If anyone has any pictures, or has built a mod like that, it would be helpful if they could post.

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 10/01/08 08:39am

Joe

My '84 Winnie has that option....doesn't make a sound. It doesn't fold down, though, it pulls down. It's held up, when not in use, by a couple of very short seat belts bolted to the ceiling.

Does it pull down with the use of arm hinges? How is it fastened to the ceiling?

Posted By: cjalphonso on 10/01/08 09:11am

Here is something interesting, if nothing else you could get some measurements from it.

Prison Bunk Bed

Posted By: cjalphonso on 10/01/08 09:20am

Hey, just found this, I think you might find something here that will fill the bill, check it out.

Bed Options

Posted By: COMPUTER_PALL on 10/01/08 09:27am

Tenderfoot4 wrote:

Joe

Does it pull down with the use of arm hinges? How is it fastened to the ceiling?

Yes, it's supported by huge sliding hinges on either end attached to the side wall. The only items attached to the ceiling are the 2 short seat belt straps to hold it in the 'up' position.

Posted By: rnr42005 on 10/01/08 10:21am

i will take some pics this weekend and post for you. the front pull down is spring loaded and doesn't make sound going down the road. the mattress on it acts as a bumper against the rood line so there is no rattle.

do you want them posted here or a PM?

the choice is up to the group.

let me know!!!

Posted By: Cousin_Eddy on 10/01/08 11:07am

I had thought about turning the two arm chairs toward one another, then building a like an ottoman or something that would go between the chairs to bridge the gap. This would be perfect sleeping for a kid.

1995 33' Southwind Fleetwood Model LW

Posted By: Ductape Dave on 10/01/08 11:24am

I have two couches in the front and added a fill-in cushion between the two couches which now make a large queen bed. Then I added 17 more inches to the dinette and turned that into a queen size bed. So now I can sleep 6 comfortably. The wood platforms fold up for storage and fit under one couch and under the rear bed along with the cushions. Think long enough and your may come up with something that works.

Nexus 24' Phantom w/slide

Posted By: squadleader on 10/01/08 12:17pm

We swapped out a built in table with chairs for a upholstered dinette/booth. We bought it new from one of the RV surplus places in Elkhart, Indiana. Here's a link to my post explaining how we did it.

Click here to see thread

With a bunch of kids we found the booth to be much better than a table and chair setup, not to mention it turns into a bed at night.

2002 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40DST
Sold it in 2012, rent as needed now

Posted By: D.R.Bain on 10/01/08 12:25pm

Tenderfoot4 wrote:

We just purchased a 1995 Fleetwood Bounder in great shape. My only concern is that it sleeps exactly 3 due to custom improvisations. The original layout was two twins in the rear, a pull-out couch, and two swivel chairs at a table for dining. We plan to remove the remaining twin in the back, and build a queen bed. How can we add an additional bed so that with using the queen, the fold-out couch and an additional bed, our Bounder will then sleep 4?

Does anyone have any creative sleep space building ideas?

Thanks, we're new to this.

When my youngest was a baby we used to lay the passenger seat flat for him as a bed. This worked until he was five or six. When he became a teen we would flatten the passenger seat once again so that his feet would be at the same level, as he grew too big for the jack knife sofa behind the passenger seat.

Dan, 2007 Damon Daybreak 3270

Posted By: Beknet on 10/01/08 07:18pm

COMPUTER_PALL wrote:

trailmeisterjoe wrote:

Tenderfoot4 wrote:

Joe

Our Holiday has that option also and doesn't make any noise what so ever and it comes in handy for a extra bed and also for extra storage when not using it for a bed ...

Beknet

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 10/02/08 07:51am

rnr42005 wrote:

i will take some pics this weekend and post for you. the front pull down is spring loaded and doesn't make sound going down the road. the mattress on it acts as a bumper against the rood line so there is no rattle.

do you want them posted here or a PM?

the choice is up to the group.

let me know!!!

Post them here! The other links that cjalphonso posted are really cool too!

Posted By: Ryles on 10/02/08 02:03pm

Currently we have 3 little ones (5,5,7) and 2 sleep on the jacknife sofa and one on the dinette. We realize that his won't last for long so we too are thinking of a solution. We have no slides so an inflatable on the floor won't work.

I'm thinking you turn the driver and passenger seats facing each other and slide them back (once rotated, back would be against the side walls) as far as you can and then construct some sort of folding/hinged platform that would span over the doghouse. Then put an inflatable or cushion on that for a single bed.

I'm thinking one of those folding plastic tables might work, just not sure what kind of middle support would be needed and how much weight they can hold. Those tables do not have a middle support when using them as a table so it might not need a support for a 50-75 pound kid.

Any other ideas?

Ryles

Posted By: rnr42005 on 10/09/08 04:31pm

sorry to be so long. work has been crazy and the weather has not cooperated much either.

now that i have the pics, how do i post them?

have them saved on the laptop in windows gallery file.

Posted By: JOMO on 10/09/08 05:43pm

I had that same problem in my old motorhome. This is a simple fix, but it worked fine. I turned the two front seats facing each other and my husband cut a board to lay across them that went over the dog house. I then placed cushions from outdoor lounge over the board and my sixteen year old grandson spent many good nights there. One time I even took the cushions off my couch, that was before I bought cushions. We stored the board under the back bed until we needed it. The bed was skinny but it worked.

Posted By: Anml_341 on 10/09/08 06:01pm

At one time I had a truck camper that had a overhead bed in the cabinet above the table. Cabinet front folded down to level, mattress unfolded and presto, a bed. Door style sliding bolt kept the cabinet front from falling down. Sorry do not have any pictures but you might check with a few truck camper dealers. If bed not wanted, remove mattress and you have a regular cabinet.

Frank Spence
Ontario Canada
Member: Explorer-RV Club (Canada)
We invite you to check out our website:
General happenings in our lives

Email:frankspence@eastlink.ca

Posted By: rnr42005 on 10/10/08 12:46am

let's see if i got this right.

nope, the image link did not appear.

Posted By: computerbug on 10/10/08 03:56am

Toyhaulers have beds in the back that pull down of the wall. Might want to ck it out if you have the space to mount one. A while back there was a guy that made a bunk over the dinette. He ran pipes up the sides put a frame and a mattress and the kid really liked it. It was posted on rv.net. years ago alot of older rvs had one over the driving area. Good luck

Posted By: rocknrun on 10/10/08 07:05am

Here's a link to a Residency that's posted on ebay. If you scroll through the pics there's a shot of a bed that's been added over the driver/navigator's seats. Can't really tell exactly how it was done, but maybe you could contact the seller and see if he will share the info as to how he made this.

Extra Bed

Posted By: Rich D. on 10/10/08 08:00am

Tenderfoot4 wrote:

I have seen some that use the back of a sofa, hinged at the top, raised to become the top bunk. The seat of the sofa with the back raised would then be the bottom bunk.

The top bunk is supported by straps to the roof/ceiling or by removable braces to the floor.

Rich D. Wanderlodge M450 LXi

Posted By: 50pascals on 10/10/08 05:04pm

What you want to do will be difficult with what you have. And then the kids are out front if you want to drive at night.

We just took the queen out of the rear of ours and replaced it with two bunk beds (4 total beds). I added a slide to the jacknife up front, and we still have the dinette.

We decided we'd rather have the kids in back so we could put them to bed before us and so we can drive and talk at night without keeping them up.

We decided we could do without "privacy" for a bit while on the road. Though once the curtains are all closed it seems it would be private enough.

Posted By: Savannah on 10/12/08 03:52pm

In our first motor home (1972) the cupboards would fold down and make beds. Our son slept in a sleeping bag on the dash until he was 4 or 5 and our daughter slept on the fold down cupboards (6 or 7). Our 1992 Winnie had the drop down bed across the front and our grandson would sometimes sleep there but his grandpa did most of the time .

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 10/12/08 03:57pm

Everyone has such great ideas. I love to see the mods that people have come up with.

We haven't done anything yet, but have a call into Flagg RV in West Boylston MA for a booth dinette set up. We thought we would build the queen box in the back, remove the dinette table and chairs, and store the twin mattress under the jackknife couch on a sliding board. That way we would have the booth dinette sleeping space, the couch could stay folded up as a twin, the mattress could slide out from under as a trundle, and we could have the queen in the back. Then we'll sleep 5.

The couch unfolded is pretty small. I don't think two people of regular size could sleep together on it unless they slept like mummies.

Our space is limited to the width of the RV; we have no bump outs.

Posted By: cbeierl on 10/13/08 02:37pm

rnr42005 wrote:

let's see if i got this right.

nope, the image link did not appear.

Here's a link to your album: Album

Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 10/14/08 05:30am

Thank you for the pictures!

Posted By: floridacamping on 10/14/08 06:00am

When we had our class A and the kids were small they both slept on the jack knife sofa. When they got too big for that we took a cot and they took turns using either the cot or sofa. They liked the cot better than the aero bed. When they brought along friends we set up a tent for them all to sleep in.

Posted By: bob_b on 10/14/08 06:36am

We sleep 7. The back queen (2) the fold-out sofa (2) a queen inflatable mattress (2) sits on the folded-down dinette and a home-made extension. The front seats can face towards each other and a home-made platform (1) sits between them and is covered with the dinette cushions.

In your case, I would source out a dinette from similar unit and loose the two chairs and table.

'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 10/14/08 06:52am

bob_b wrote:

We sleep 7. The back queen (2) the fold-out sofa (2) a queen inflatable mattress (2) sits on the folded-down dinette and a home-made extension. The front seats can face towards each other and a home-made platform (1) sits between them and is covered with the dinette cushions.

In your case, I would source out a dinette from similar unit and loose the two chairs and table.

Most definitely losing the chairs and table. Do you have pictures of the dinette with the homemade extension ad platform? That sounds interesting. Also, a description of how you support both? The twin mattress we took from the back bedroom happens to fit perfectly under the jacknife sofa, but not if we fold out the sofa. So my trundle idea works to a point.

Posted By: Tenderfoot4 on 10/14/08 06:54am

floridacamping wrote:

When we had our class A and the kids were small they both slept on the jack knife sofa. When they got too big for that we took a cot and they took turns using either the cot or sofa. They liked the cot better than the aero bed. When they brought along friends we set up a tent for them all to sleep in.

What is a tent?

Just joking. After you get a motorhome, tenting becomes a vague memory....

Posted By: Cousin_Eddy on 10/14/08 10:01am

Our rig sleeps 4. We slept 7 quite comfortably this past weekend.

2 on the jack-knife (Kid-Mom), 3 on the queen (Dad-kid-Mom), one on the floor by the queen (Kid), and one on the make shift bed using the chairs (Aunt).

The make shift bed cosisted of turning the passenger chair to face backwards, the living room chair forward. We put a storage tub upside down between the chairs and put a pillow on top of the tub. We slided the chairs together, reclined them and added a sheet. It was quite comfortable for Auntie. Nice bed.

Posted By: oldcurios on 10/14/08 10:11am

You do not say if you have a chair in addition to your sofa. If so, consider replacing the chair with a futon chair that folds out into a twin bed.

Posted By: bob_b on 10/15/08 06:42am

Tenderfoot4 wrote:

Do you have pictures of the dinette with the homemade extension ad platform? That sounds interesting. Also, a description of how you support both?

I don't have any pictures handy right now but I would be glad to explain it. For the dinette extension I have a board that is about 6 feet long and 1 foot wide. It is actually two boards with a hinge in the middle for easy storage. The board is supported with three small stands which allow the board to sit at the same level as the folded-down dinette. Each stand is two square boards that have a notch in the middle of each. One notch slides into the other notch to form an 'X' shaped stand. Looking down from the top you see the 'X'. The stands are very study and pack away very easily. I'll try to get some pictures.

Print  |  Close