|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Direct TV hookup questions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kalton

Richland, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/08 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I realize this topic has come up numerous times, but here's another one.

I just recently purchased a Direct TV dish for the camper. My Lance has only the single coax connection on the outside of the camper. The dish I bought came with a cord that is comprised of two coax cables. It seems to me when I go to connect a Direct TV reciever box from our house to the camper tv, I would install/connect it the same way as one of the bedrooms, minus connecting any telephone cord. So....my question is; How will the two coax cables on the dish get connected to the outside of the camper?

I ordered a tripod for the dish and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. It is coming with a 50' coax cable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Kevin

wtravlr1

Palm Harbor, Florida,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/08 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

unlike the cable connection or park connection, that is usually split in the camper with an outlet in the bedroom and one in the front room. sat. cannot be easily split. You should have a dual LNB with two cables. One for each of the tv's, if you have two. My camper came with only one sat connection on the back and it only goes the the front room. why they did not put one in for the rear, i don't know. i added the second one so my sat cables hook to the two rear sat connections.

j37642

East Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/08 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevin, if you have an amplified roof mount antenna, the outside cable connection will probably be connected through the box where the amplifier switch is located (and the connector for the cable that goes to the tv). I don't know of a way that you can use the outside cable connection to go to the satellite dish without unhooking it from the antenna amplifier box. The satellite provides power to the dish LNB and you don't want that going to the amplifier box. You can fix that by just unhooking the cable at the antenna switch box and rerouting that to the satellite receiver. That does not address the question of the dual LNBs that you have. I will let someone else address that question. I use a single LNB and only receive one satellie at one time. I hope you are able to understand what I am trying to convey. I know I have not done it very clearly.

Jerry 35J Bounder Diesel motorhome
2005 Lance 1181 Max with all options
2003 Dodge Laramie 3500 CTD HO DRW, Air bags, SprSprngs, Rancho R9000X, XM Radio, Garmin GPS, Hellwig sway bar, Centramatics
..RVing since 1966

Crazy Ray

Monroe,La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/08 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevin, use either one . It will work.JMO

RET ARMY 1980,DW Donna,"Tiny" (furkid) . Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford Chassis w/Steer Safe, 4SAMS 6Volts, 525W Solar , TriStar 45 Controller, Yamaha 2400, TOW: Honda CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream". NASCAR FAN 14,18,20,11 LOVE: CO,NM,AZ

capterik

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/08 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your receiver has 2 sat antenna connections, then you have a sat receiver with dvr or tivo. You will want both connections. As others have said, the cable hookup built into the camper are generally not made for Sat, and will need some changes to make it work with your Sat dish. Your best bet is to install another input or two dedicated strictly for Sat. If your reciever only has one Sat Antenna input then you only need to install one hookup.

2003 Kodiak 5500
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4SB
KVH inmotion Satellite
Stable Lift

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/08 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There IS a way to use the outside cable connection with your dish. Do a search for Satellite TV cable combiner. It is a Y connector that will pass power back to the dish on one side and connect to the antenna booster with a short jumper on the other side.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

Super_Dave

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/08 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jauguston wrote:

There IS a way to use the outside cable connection with your dish. Do a search for Satellite TV cable combiner. It is a Y connector that will pass power back to the dish on one side and connect to the antenna booster with a short jumper on the other side.

Jim

Or you could just run it through the window like I do. On my camper, the outside coax connection is just for cable TV, like Comcast. DishNetwork or DirectTV ISN'T a direct connection to that outside jack. Spent hours and hours of frustration before finding that out.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Camper: 2007 Eagle Cap 850
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

campguy3040

Eastern Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/08 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a simpler and more reliable solution would be to install a dedicated outdoor cable connection in the outside wall near a cabinet where the TV is located. Run a cable from the wall connector into the cabinet and to the receiver. If you are using the satellite, then hook the TV to the receiver, When not using the Sat, hook th TV to the antenna through the booster. If the receiver has a antenna input terminal, then you can connect the TV there..

2012 Winnebago Vista, Triple Slide Ford F53.
Blue Ox Tiger Trak track bar, RoadMaster Reflex Steering,&
"Cheep Handling Fix"
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar w/Patriot Brake System
Chevy HHR toad.

mrsalton

Richland

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/08 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, all of you that have provided info for us has been appreciated. Now our question is: how do you tell if the satellite dish itself actually works? Do they go bad an eventually not work anymore? HELP??

Shawn

campguy3040

Eastern Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/08 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a signal meter to aid in the aim/alignment. In doing this I can tell if the receiver is suppling power to the LNB, and... I can see the signal strength to hit the sat correctly. Unless the dish has been bent, it doesn't ware out. If the LNB is bad, the meter will not indicate any signal.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Direct TV hookup questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS