Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Gas Shocks for basement door?

Posted By: thedoghouse on 11/06/08 09:00am

Anybody know where to buy a complete kit? Brackets shocks etc?

2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

Posted By: lv2rom on 11/06/08 09:12am

Google on RV Gas Struts.....it should say on the ones that you have what the pressure load is.....Brian

2005 F350 Dually -AFE air box/MRSP exhaust/Bags/Bilsteins/Energy Susp./Michleins
2002 Hitchhiker Fiver 29.5 RLBG - Moryde Pin/Gas shocks/Michelin XPS Ribs/Full solar

Posted By: rockintom on 11/06/08 02:02pm

I was told from my manufacturer that for a successful installation of gas struts on the compartment doors, that upgraded doors have to be also installed. The upgraded doors have the reinforced area to support the strut mounting. The struts mounted in the old doors will pull loose in short order. Two doors and struts were about $500 retail....I'll pass for now and get them on my new rig. rockintom

Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

Posted By: lv2rom on 11/06/08 12:06pm

up2nogood wrote:

thedoghouse wrote:

I have to ask why do you need shocks on the basement door, does it not latch in the open posistion ????

FYI...many RV's use pressure struts on compartment doors instead of going all the way up to a latch clip...Brian

Posted By: admiral0647 on 11/06/08 10:04am

This hardware company KenCon sells to the RV industry and the public.

When you get to their web site look at the "BRACKETS" and "GAS STRUTS" categories.

good luck...

Jim

I started with nothing... and have most of it left.

Damon Challenger 377c
Toyota Yaris Dingy
Scottish Terrier

Posted By: up2nogood on 11/06/08 10:46am

thedoghouse wrote:

I have to ask why do you need shocks on the basement door, does it not latch in the open posistion ????

Posted By: wittmeba on 11/06/08 03:18pm

I did this - used magnetic door stops on our main door. I will do a couple of our storage doors too - the ones I use most.

http://members.cox.net/bruce.wittmeier/images/MagDoorProp003.jpg

http://members.cox.net/bruce.wittmeier/images/MagDoorPropMag.jpg

Probably use something like this on the hatches - not as likely to hit or bump.
http://gatelatchusa.com/door_stops.html
Magnetic Door stops

Lots of choices.

And believe me they have plenty of strength to hold even in winds. We can still use the std if we want the door open during high winds too. One indicated it would hold 13#. Thats like 2 gallon jugs of milk.

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 26.0.1

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

Posted By: 2 DA WDS on 11/07/08 02:32pm

I ordered them from my dealer. But I already had them on 2 doors and one of them was the same size as the door I wanted them on so it was easy to know what to order.

Happy Trails

Tom & Cheryl

2011 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins
2005 Mobile Suites RE3 S.O.I.T.C. Charter Member #1646
TomTom GPS

Posted By: Veebyes on 11/07/08 01:26pm

A gas shock is standard on my Alpenlight. Very convenient to have. No fidgeting around with those latches. Just lift & it stays open.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Posted By: NC Hauler on 11/06/08 10:39pm

Actually, at least on my unit, when the basement door is open, the door is so far open you would have to go out of your way to walk into it. I bought my unit "off the lot", and it had the gas strut actuated basement doors on it, thus, I have them. If I had a choice, as others mentioned, I probably wouldn't have them. I see no real advantage to them.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

Posted By: NC Hauler on 11/06/08 02:47pm

rockintom may be right, sig 5er came with the basement doors that have the gas shocks and these doors are heavier then the ones on any 5er or TT that I've owned in the past. They're fairly handy, though you wait for them to travel up at their own speed and they open far enough for you to do anything you need to, but believe I may have liked the "regular" type opening doors better, I opened the door faster, locked it into place and it was completely out of the way. If the shocks were to "go bad", believe I'd take them off and mount the
"regular type" locking device and remove the shocks completely. I purchased sig. 5er "off the lot", if I had ordered one, would have liked the heavier door due to insulation factor, but probably would not have ordered the shocks...not a deal breaker one way or the other to me.

Posted By: up2nogood on 11/06/08 08:27pm

lv2rom wrote:

up2nogood wrote:

thedoghouse wrote:

FYI...many RV's use pressure struts on compartment doors instead of going all the way up to a latch clip...Brian

Not to argue, but whats the sense ??? I lift the lid, latch it ,do my thing,and close it. I am all for upgrades, but this one escapes me. I want the door up all the way and out of the road. I don't want it part way up or almost up and have me or someone else run into it. I am always looking to make my 5ver more user friendly, but like I said this one is way over my head as to the need Maybe I missed something here????

Print  |  Close