|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> NuWa stops production

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
fredbon

Pacific Northwest or SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/08 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This article appeared today, Nov 7, on the RV Business web site.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie
Frankie & Scarlett, (The Cats)
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

pammi

was MI now The Colony, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/08 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't read it unless you register as an RV industry professional.

2004 Rockwood Roo 23B (new to us in April, 2007)
2006 Nissan Xterra

When we camp, it's DH & me mostly.

avan

Naples, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/08 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Text of the article
RV Business wrote:

BREAKING NEWS
NuWa to Stop Production, Firm Remains Open
Bob Ashley
RV Business
Friday, November 7, 2008

NuWa Industries Inc., Chanute, Kan., will stop production of its high-end fifth-wheels on Christmas Eve, but is keeping its sales staff and parts and service departments open after the first of the year.

"We want to take a look to see what kind of sales are going to come in 2009," NuWa President Neil Ford told RVBusiness. "We will never close our parts, warranty and service departments. Those will remain open."

About 100 workers will be laid off as part of the move, he said. NuWa also canceled the space it had reserved at the 46th Annual National RV Trade Show, Dec. 2-4, in Louisville, Ky.

"The problem is the whole economy," Ford said. "Most of our customers are retired, and the price range of our units is not inexpensive. People can't get financed or they fear what the economy is going to do."

As recently as 2006, NuWa operated two factories in the Chanute area and employed about 500 people. After the production shutdown, about 40 employees will remain.

"We are not slamming the doors shut and saying 'We're, through,' " Ford said. "We're definitely coming back if there's business there."

FisHin2Dmax

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/08 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sad...sad, state of affairs this country is in. While I was never a big fan of NUWA's very outspoken president, I have to give him honors for not slamming the doors shut and keeping the parts and service operations going for their existing customers. NuWa made good products and it is a sad day for the whole RV industry.

2003 GMC HD 2500 CC 4x4 DuraMax/Allison
2008 Sundance 2900MK

ladymc53

Canyon Lake, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/08 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple next to us just pulled out yesterday with their 2006 NuWa...nice rig but they don't read this site, so I guess they'll find out someday.

LadyMc
Sitting Stationary in a 33 ft. Newmar 5th wheel

Chrysler Town & Country Mini-van with Stow & Go Seats pulling a
CAMP INN 560 ULTRA RAINDROP -called a Raindrop, not a Teardrop cause it has a couch that makes into bunks - the Rolls-Royce of Tears!

KSadler1

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/08 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was watching a national news program last night and they were talking about how the Elkhart,IN RV plant closing has just devastated that community. The auto and RV industry has really taken a hard hit. What's really bad is that other businesses in these areas are shutting down too because their economy relies on it. We're in for a tough stretch.....

Ken

2008 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty SB Crew Cab 6.8L V-10 4x4 4:10
(former 5er owner)

Capt Skup

Southern Maryland/Nantucket

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/08 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another of the greats stopping production/shutting down. What will be left? The cardboard box brands? I have heard one or two of the remaining quality brands may be shutting their doors in the near future. Wouldn't you know it, I bought a Sunline, now closed. I bought a Teton, now closed. Been looking at HitchHikers and Jaycos, hopefully Jayco will survive.

Capt Skup
AD-1(AW)USNRet.
Wonderful Wife,3 Daughters,2Goldens Gus&Riley

"Never get in a battle of wits with an unarmed man"

F-450 Lariat 4x4
Honda Odyssey EX-L
SunlineF281SR
SeaRay 240 Sundeck
http://community.webshots.com/user/CaptSkup?vhost=community

countryrose

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/08 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it is a little premature to close the door and turn out the lights and claim we are in a depression. There are a lot of RV companies going out of business and there will likely be more. On the other hand there are companies that are doing very well and reporting increased sales. When times get hard only the smart and strong will survive.

Often companies will try to reduce cost by cutting back on customer service after the sale, others raise prices and price themselves out of business. These are usually the first to go. If you have been reading the forum you should have seen this reported by forum members.

Also you see where members have praised the manufacturer of thier 5ver for good customer service and a quality trailer. Thor Industries is cutting back on many line, but are still selling trailers, sale are down but they are surviving. Jayco and Heartland are both reporting increased sales over last year. They have some of the most loyal owners and build very good RV's.

Lets not close the door on the RV industry just yet, I believe that we may see new name rise to the top, but the industry will survive.

Gary
2009 Bighorn 3400RL
2008 Chevy 3500HD DRW
DuraMax w/allison

Virgil_Diesel

Home of SF 49ers

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/08 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ladymc53 wrote:

A couple next to us just pulled out yesterday with their 2006 NuWa...nice rig but they don't read this site, so I guess they'll find out someday.

They have their own Nuwa Forum

2006 Chevy Silverado HD2500/DA/CC/SB/Pullrite Superglide 16k
2009 Jayco Superlite 31.5FBHS
2006 Lance Lite 845
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Rubicon 0337/1000
2013 18' Carson Flat bed 10k gvw trailer 16" 8 lug wheels

lv2rom

Kansas City, Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/08 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Capt Skup wrote:

Another of the greats stopping production/shutting down. What will be left? The cardboard box brands? I have heard one or two of the remaining quality brands may be shutting their doors in the near future. Wouldn't you know it, I bought a Sunline, now closed. I bought a Teton, now closed. Been looking at HitchHikers and Jaycos, hopefully Jayco will survive.

Just let me know what you do buy so I can get something else!!! ...Brian

2005 F350 Dually -AFE air box/MRSP exhaust/Bags/Bilsteins/Energy Susp./Michleins
2002 Hitchhiker Fiver 29.5 RLBG - Moryde Pin/Gas shocks/Michelin XPS Ribs/Full solar

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> NuWa stops production
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS